S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant Smell

I recently had the coolant overflow tank replaced on my 2004 S-Type. They used the Jaguar coolant. After I've driven it and park it in the garage there's a definite smell, probably antifreeze. Is this normal or is it indicative of a further problem? I noticed what looked like a few drops of coolant where the car had been parked in the garage after it sat for a few days.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by magpie
I recently had the coolant overflow tank replaced on my 2004 S-Type. They used the Jaguar coolant. After I've driven it and park it in the garage there's a definite smell, probably antifreeze. Is this normal or is it indicative of a further problem? I noticed what looked like a few drops of coolant where the car had been parked in the garage after it sat for a few days.
Yep, another problem could be. Was the overflow tank replaced due to a crack? If so now that is fixed increased pressure might have sprung another weak point in your cooling system.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Yep. Or, they could have spilled some coolant during the changeover. If so, it will take some time for that coolant to be burned off and evaporate during your drive cycles. Keep an eye on your engine bay (and underneath where your car is parked) for the next few days. If you discover more leaks, you have more repairs to do....

Old 10-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Or, if you have the 3.0 L engine, ( on mobile version of site can't see sigs if you have stated what engine you have), but,maybe the "turret" fitting on the upper radiator hose is cracked.

I had a coolant smell awhile ago, losing coolant, nothing visible. Pressurized system, nothing, drove me nuts... then I found the cracked turret fitting.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the advice. The vehicle is a V6, probably 3.0 L engine. As far as I know there was no crack, just hose problems and a mysterious leak, but they did replace the tank so it may have had a crack they didn't tell me about. If I notice any more leaks I'll take it back to the repair shop and have them check out the turret fitting and new leaks.

You guys have been great. I'm learning useful stuff.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Or your new tank could be weeping some coolant. EVERY tank (3) I've had in mine has weeped some coolant along the edge but it's a very small amount so I just ignore it. The last one I replaced I had just pressure tested it too and I couldn't find anything testing it out of the car. It completely failed a month later when a fitting snapped off. They're complete crap. BMW owners have similar complaints.

But yes I can smell it when the car is hot on a warm day. On mine it's a bit more complex tank because of the supercharger pump circulation but I have thought about making one out of aluminum. That's a difficult fit in that crowded engine compartment.

Keep checking your coolant level when cold. Mine drops almost imperceptibly but after 6 months of regular use it's down to the low position visual marker.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Default update

Upon closer inspection there is a hose connection clearly visible on the left side (facing the car) that has been leaking a bit. The coolant level looks fine. Also, I discovered a hose, about 1" dia. hanging from under the car (just looped there, seems to be intact) when I checked for leaks. Don't know what it is, but it's located between the tires, somewhat on the drivers side. Probably no connection with the coolant problem, but this is all within 100 km of having the coolant tank replaced and the vehicle checked out. I intend to take it back to the repair shop who seems to have done a shoddy job. Will let you know what the verdict is. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Here's what I'm getting now after not looking at it for a couple of months.

We have somewhat different cars but in my case at least it seems to begin at the nipple that points towards the rear of the car and then run around the lip.

I've replace all the hose connections to the tank and the clamps and after 3 tanks it still leaks. m Jaguar in this case ... LOL

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Smell-_dsc1949.jpg   Coolant Smell-_dsc1950.jpg   Coolant Smell-_dsc1952.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Default Bad News

According to the mechanic it needs a new radiator and a water valve - not the news I wanted to hear!! Their prices for the parts are a lot more than I've been finding them for on-line. I've found Behr and Spectra radiators - are they okay or is there a specific brand that I should be using? Any recommendations as to the best way to go from you experts out there?

I have to say my experience with this vehicle has not been promising and I'm wondering if I made a big mistake. It has low mileage - under 80,000, and seems to be in good shape apart from the coolant system. Is it worth it?

Old 10-27-2016, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by magpie
According to the mechanic it needs a new radiator and a water valve - not the news I wanted to hear!! Their prices for the parts are a lot more than I've been finding them for on-line. I've found Behr and Spectra radiators - are they okay or is there a specific brand that I should be using? Any recommendations as to the best way to go from you experts out there?

I have to say my experience with this vehicle has not been promising and I'm wondering if I made a big mistake. It has low mileage - under 80,000, and seems to be in good shape apart from the coolant system. Is it worth it?
I think you should get a second opinion in any case.

Behr is a well respected brand. I've used Spectra stuff but not their radiators. They seem very inexpensive ...

I recently replaced the radiator on my 99 Suburban and did a lot of research looking for a top aftermarket brand and ended up with one from OSC. I was impressed and it's been working fine for about two months now.

The jag version is OSC 13148 for an S-Type R but you'll have to lookup for your car because it's a bit different. Rockauto usually has great prices.

Update: the OSC catalog says it's the same radiator for the 3.0L automatic.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/osc-13148
https://www.carid.com/osc-automotive...mpn-13148.html $116 THAT'S CHEAP!

It appears many places don't have it so it may be going out of production.

Hope your problems are more simple than this.

Why not put you car's year, model and engine type in you signature line so it's easier to help you?

Last edited by Staatsof; 10-27-2016 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

If you have the automatic transmission, you're gonna need the $400 radiator, most easily found through the dealership. The $120-$150 ones you find on RockAuto and eBay are not gonna have the integral transmission cooler.

Water valve (DCCV) can be had for $70-ish and my experience has been that 1 in 3 new ones are leakers. The real numbers are much better, maybe only a 10% failure rate among new. (still pretty bad)

Edit: Just glanced at Bob's links above and perhaps I'm wrong...those appear to be suitable for the automatic. I guess some enterprising individual or company saw a market opportunity and started producing/selling a reasonably-priced radiator for the automatic gearbox versions, which are certainly more plentiful than the manuals. A few short years ago, wasn't the case.

Last edited by aholbro1; 10-27-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:26 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

The gearbox oil cooler is separate from the radiator and is positioned between the radiator and condenser with the lines coming in from the RH side of the vehicle.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
If you have the automatic transmission, you're gonna need the $400 radiator, most easily found through the dealership. The $120-$150 ones you find on RockAuto and eBay are not gonna have the integral transmission cooler.

Water valve (DCCV) can be had for $70-ish and my experience has been that 1 in 3 new ones are leakers. The real numbers are much better, maybe only a 10% failure rate among new. (still pretty bad)

Edit: Just glanced at Bob's links above and perhaps I'm wrong...those appear to be suitable for the automatic. I guess some enterprising individual or company saw a market opportunity and started producing/selling a reasonably-priced radiator for the automatic gearbox versions, which are certainly more plentiful than the manuals. A few short years ago, wasn't the case.
The OSC radiators aren't cheap junk. It's an american company that's manufacturing in China of course ...

Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 8,147 Likes on 4,915 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
The gearbox oil cooler is separate from the radiator and is positioned between the radiator and condenser with the lines coming in from the RH side of the vehicle.
This is true for the X200. The X202 radiator has the integral gearbox cooler.
aholbro1 and I have been through this before.

bob

Old 10-27-2016, 09:34 AM
Received 2,646 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman

bob
Indeed, thanks for clarifying.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman

bob
I was going to say I did my Tranny cooler line repairs last year and I thought it was integral. I wish the engine oil cooler was as well. I had to do those at the same time. Those and the two coolers are quite the torturous solution ...

Old 10-27-2016, 05:32 PM
Received 8,147 Likes on 4,915 Posts

The cooling units are stacked onto plastic mounts one-after-the-other.
The S-Type R is even more fun.

bob