S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant for STR

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

DexCool is indeed a good product. There may be some compatibility issues in certain makes and models, but it has been around long enough to be well-tested and proven in the majority of applications that it is intended for. It has always done the job in my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330, now showing 103,400 miles on the odometer and rolling right along. I wouldn't hesitate to use DexCool in her 2005 S-Type as well since it meets the required specs. But since I have a jug of the Jaguar factory coolant left over from last summer's major accident repairs, that's what I use for the very rare occasion when I've needed to add a bit of coolant....

Old 08-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
DexCool is indeed a good product. There may be some compatibility issues in certain makes and models, but it has been around long enough to be well-tested and proven in the majority of applications that it is intended for. It has always done the job in my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330, now showing 103,400 miles on the odometer and rolling right along. I wouldn't hesitate to use DexCool in her 2005 S-Type as well since it meets the required specs. But since I have a jug of the Jaguar factory coolant left over from last summer's major accident repairs, that's what I use for the very rare occasion when I've needed to add a bit of coolant....
Question......does it make a difference using this between the 3.0 and STR? Thats kinda why I started this thread anyways. I read people using Dex-Cool with the 3.0's, no problems, I just wasnt sure if it was ok for the STR because I couldnt find anything on it. Always very cautious what I put into this thing.

Now by required specs, do you mean for the 3.0 engine or actually comparing it to the Jag Coolant itself (meaning that it will blend)? Would love to just use this Dex-Cool stuff in the future, thanks Jon.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Bob S. - Thanks for the tip on the silicone grease, I was trying to figure out what a good option would be. I probably could have gotten away with just re-clamping this hose but it looks pretty beat up and deformed, it looks as though it was clamped to far down in the first place. By rolled edge clamps, are you talking about the ones on a "slotted track" that tighten with a flat head screwdriver?

That seems strange about the extended life 50/50 orange Dex-Cool, I was under the impression it was a newer product and better quality, at least the price certainly reflects as such not that it means anything.
Most screw type clamps (the ones you ess at auto stores & Home Depot) are of the flat edge variety which for a really tough hose is usually good enough. But for more delicate hoses like silicone you should be using a rolled edge variety.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-72484.../dp/B001GTVRNI

These also protect the hose from being cut by the slots. They come in a variety of styles.

I think the main thing I'd do is replace the spring clamps with a good quality screw clamp, maybe in a narrow width. You want a clamp that can apply an even pressure all the way around the hose so buy them sized for the diameter you need. Norma makes some really nice clamps and they're rolled edge but you need to get the size accurately. You'll see if you google them. I use those on all my fuel lines and smaller coolant/vacuum hoses on the vintage cars. Not for fuel injection!

I just related a story about dex-cool from the Suburban Forum. I don't know what GM did in that application but folks think it was a real problem.
It's no longer in my Suburban but I'm certain the Jag coolant is the same stuff. I don't know when It came on the market but it's over 10 years now.

Have fun!

Bob S.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

[quote=Staatsof;237134]It looks to me like you just need to put better clamps on where the spring clamps are used. For the water connections that are metal take a SS brush and clean the metal really good to get rid of any corrosion. Even a strip of emery cloth works really nicely. Then coat them very lightly with some silicone grease (NAPA) or Dow Corning 111 "the best". That will forestall future corrosion and it makes getting hoses off a lot easier later on.

I have a similar issue with the nipple on the manifold that goes to the two heads, contains the theromstat, and has a lower pipe to the heater core. The lower pipe has a slow leak, tried to use a better clamp and cut off part of the old hose may have streched. Turns out, Jaguar has metal fittings cast within the Al manifold. The leak is between the metal and the Alum so that part not the hose should be replaced.

I have used the Prestone Dex-Cool at 50/50 for the last 12kmiles with no problem. Its also the same color as the OEM fluid and meets the ford/jaguar spec.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

[quote=ccc;237210]
I have a similar issue with the nipple on the manifold that goes to the two heads, contains the theromstat, and has a lower pipe to the heater core. The lower pipe has a slow leak, tried to use a better clamp and cut off part of the old hose may have streched. Turns out, Jaguar has metal fittings cast within the Al manifold. The leak is between the metal and the Alum so that part not the hose should be replaced.
[quote]

That sounds like exactly what happened on the Suburbans. Hmmmmm ...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

Tell us more please! Or a link to it

Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Bull,

Dex-Cool meets Jaguar's required coolant specs (M97B44-D) regardless of the engine type. You should be good to go in your STR....

Granted, I don't have any STR documentation but hopefully those who do will check their owners manuals and confirm this....

Last edited by Jon89; 08-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by ccc
The leak is between the metal and the Alum so that part not the hose should be replaced.
I didnt notice the fittings "nipples" being seperate, its pouring, so i cant go check now or are you talking about a completely different section from where my leak is coming from?

Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Tell us more please! Or a link to it
Okey doke ...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...pic=91363&st=0

There are plenty of other discussions about this. Look at Cadillac forums as well.

I change my coolant every 2-3 years and if you do that it may be that the DEX-Cool won't cause issues.

I need to do the STR so I will probably just use the DEX-cool but I think I'm going to change it on an accellerated basis from now on.

Somewhere in all those threads someone "theorizes" that when DEX-Cool breaks down it gets nastier than other forms of antifreeze. When I got my used Suburban it had just had ther intake manifold gaskets and heater connection replaced as a result of deterioration. It was 5 years old. I read the stories and decided to to go with the green stuff.

I'm just mentioning it because people have a tendancy to let their coolant age a bit too long. If you're pressed in coolant fittings really are corroding maybe this is the reason?

I think he needs to do a cooling system pressure test.

Bob S.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:52 PM
ccc

I didnt notice the fittings "nipples" being seperate, its pouring, so i cant go check now or are you talking about a completely different section from where my leak is coming from?
In my, its a different section but the constuction is the same - cast Al part with metal nipple. Just thought it may be something to look into & hopefully not your issue.

Pouring...rain the the summer...a novel concept being in southern california but on the otherhand, green landscape beats brown.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Bob.

My local jag parts guy says the orange antifreeze is now specified to last 10 years without needing changing (probably on the XF/XJ, as the S-Type is likely not on jag's radar any more).

The cooling system leaks (DCCV, header tank, thermostat housing, hose under SC, etc) don't look to be antifreeze-related but I guess they could be. My antifreeze was changed at 4.5yrs which should mean all is OK..... but I have a leak (small, currently).

Old 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by ccc
In my, its a different section but the constuction is the same - cast Al part with metal nipple. Just thought it may be something to look into & hopefully not your issue.

Pouring...rain the the summer...a novel concept being in southern california but on the otherhand, green landscape beats brown.
Thats very interesting, how much did this repair set you back? Well I guess I will find out soon, I'll grab the hose tomorrow, install with a "special" clamp and give it a whirl. Sucks because this is directly under the intake and cant really see it without it off. I cannot wait for the winter, this summer has been brutal, the humidity here has been unbearable, very Florida-esq.

Bob, "he" would love to get a cooling system pressure test, however, he is having his first baby in October and has already spent about 1.2 Mil in preparation.

If it doesn't leak, I'll be happy.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Bob, "he" would love to get a cooling system pressure test, however, he is having his first baby in October and has already spent about 1.2 Mil in preparation.

Ah so, well I'm certain that's hyperbole on the expense side but I decided on no kiddies years ago. My siblings over did it anyway ...

You can do a test yourself with about $100 - $150 worth of equipment or maybe Autozone lends it out?

I hope it's not the fittings. Think positive!

You be having leak issues somewhere else VERY SOON. I don't think clamps are allowed ...

Old 08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure AutoZone help with those leaks, either!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 PM
ccc

Thats very interesting, how much did this repair set you back? Well I guess I will find out soon, I'll grab the hose tomorrow, install with a "special" clamp and give it a whirl. Sucks because this is directly under the intake and cant really see it without it off. I cannot wait for the winter, this summer has been brutal, the humidity here has been unbearable, very Florida-esq.

The part is about $200 to $300 and repair looks simple enough but the leak only uses qt every oil change so I'm holding off until I have some more time.

I have a cooling system pressure test that puts the system under vacuum and monitors the pressure over time. It also helps get rid of any air bubbles but the system runs of an air compressor that drives a ventui valve. My household compressor doesn't generate enough volume to run this effectively so it may be easier to have a shop do this measurement.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone checked to see if G12 coolant would be compatible?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Jeff, where you been man, havent seen ya around in a bit? I was thinking about getting something aftermarket, but this thing has 5 90 degree turns and is only a ft and a half. It is so tight under there that I feel like it it is just easier to get the factory, pre-"bent".
As I see, you got the factory hose. Good move. Use the Dex-Cool.. I find the side story about the potential corrosion issue very interesting. But, I doubt you want to totally flush and clean your cooling system (especially with inter-coolers) in order to change to a different coolant at this time.

As for me, Awww shucks, thanks for asking. Nothing actually bad... Just a lot going on lately. Jenn and I got hitched in June then we had many busy weekends in July with Anna and Olivia both having birthdays. Yea, lil Olivia is 1 now! Also, when the auto industry tanked, we had to cut our workforce by 70%. To say the least it has been a challenge ramping up to the increase in production. At the same time we are growing market share in our space. So, I have some major projects going on now...

How are you guys doing? I bet the wife is ready for this to be done. I know when Jenn was pregnant in the summer, she was miserable. To top it off, this summer has been brutal. My sister says the Boston area has actually started to melt into the sea...

Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Panthro
Has anyone checked to see if G12 coolant would be compatible?
A search for G12 reveals as much discussion on the VW forums as there is here about the merits of G12 and the dangers of mixing in even a spot of any other kind of coolant.
Does it meet the Jag specs? If not I doubt we need to throw another element and colour into the debate.

Last edited by Norri; 08-25-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Default http://

Oh you guys gotta go to this website and see the lengths this guy has gone to in order to test all these coolant theories out. It's a hoot !

http://ultimatecarforum.com/smf/inde...=3797.msg41045

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 08-25-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Default If you want to strickly follow the Jag Spec then ...

The Jag JTIS calls for WSS M97B44-D.

So here's Ford's offerings on coolant.

Read the list very carefully and you'll get some idea on how "interesting" this has gotten. That's just with Ford!

So why did the industry foist this confusing mess on everyone?

http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Ch...-Coolants.aspx

They offer 4 distinct products and the last on that list is orange coloured, meets the Jag specification and also says

"Compatible with DEX-COOLŽ engine coolant ".

If you go to the Prestone website it in my opinion is a useless mess. That's probably not an accident. Read about all of their offerings and feel good ...

If you dig into the chemistry in more detail you get an idea of what the basic fuss is all about between what I see as two basic types. It's been common knowledge for some time now that carelessly switching from one type to the other can make a mess of your cooling system. What I find interesting is the admonition , by some, against ever switching at all even after extensive flushing with water. I did on one car with no issues. I did in that case go to the Prestone version that claims to, be compatible with both types. Is this getting clearer now ...

Zerex has a "DEX-COOL" product as well. I haven't reviewed that website as yet. I hope it's better than the Prestone one. Given where I live (Honeywell INC central) we tend to see mostly Prestone around here in the stores.

So are folks comfortable with Ford's product that pointedly and unambiguously states the specification cited by Jaguar? I expect it's less money than the Jaguar one.

I also think we're going to find out that the DEX-COOL and Ford product are completely equivalent.

Bob S.

Quick Reply: Coolant for STR