Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corrosion Warranty Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
How long have you noticed this? Just curious as it doesn't seem to me at least that things could corrode this badly overnight.

I really don't think you will have much of a problem having it covered. The thing is that door is rusting from the inside out, and they may want to just clean up the surface, sand / fill / paint. It may look ok for a while, but the rust will come back. The only real repair here is a new door that has no rust in it.

George
Honestly, just noticed it the day I posted. I've been sooo busy with the kids and work plus doing things on the house that I haven't given it the first hand wash of the spring. Shame on me!
When you look at the car standing up you really just see a little spot that looks like dirt since the lower door curves in so much. It's when you bend down and open the door that you really see it. During the winter I only hose it off at the local pressure was.
I won't let them just "fix" it....They will need to replace the door with a new one. Nothing off of another car either. But we are getting ahead of ourselves...My first hurtle is getting Jaguar to acknowledge the flaw.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Honestly, just noticed it the day I posted. I've been sooo busy with the kids and work plus doing things on the house that I haven't given it the first hand wash of the spring. Shame on me!
When you look at the car standing up you really just see a little spot that looks like dirt since the lower door curves in so much. It's when you bend down and open the door that you really see it. During the winter I only hose it off at the local pressure was.
I won't let them just "fix" it....They will need to replace the door with a new one. Nothing off of another car either. But we are getting ahead of ourselves...My first hurtle is getting Jaguar to acknowledge the flaw.
#1 Jeff: How the HELL could you have not noticed this before. I would say shame on you BUT why the hell would you have to worry about an 05 luxury car rusting after all.
#2 I am about to vomit violenty just looking at those pictures.
#3 Send those to Jag corporate IMMEDIATELY and tell them its a freaking 05 and this is COMPLETELY unacceptable, you are a member of a very repected Jaguar forum/club, and that you expect satisfaction.

You will get that fixed for free, even if I have to get involved and go to bat for ya!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
We had a 1985 Cherokee, a 1988 Cherokee, a 1994 Cherokee, a 1996 Grand Cherokee, and a 2000 Grand Cherokee. They were all fantastic vehicles and I thought we'd always have a Jeep in our stable. But my wife caught Lexus Fever and wanted an RX300. Her 2000 RX300 AWD was the worst vehicle I've ever owned in more than 40 years of driving. Her current 2004 RX330 AWD has been a much better vehicle, and it's approaching 100,000 miles with just a handful of warranty repairs done to it during our first year of ownership of it. But I still miss our Jeeps....

My current 1999 Dodge Ram 1500-series 5.9-litre V8 is my all-time favorite vehicle for a number of reasons. Plenty of legroom, plenty of headroom, it's fast, comfortable, versatile, and it just doesn't break. Plus, when I do need to work on it, there's so much room in the engine compartment that I can climb right in. I've spent far less to maintain my truck than any other vehicle I've ever owned. Until two years ago, the only non-routine maintenance items I've ever had to replace on it were a new battery and a burned-out high-mount brake light bulb. Finally had to put a new water pump and transmission speed sensor on it in 2008 and 2009 respectively. Other than that, it's been all oil & filter changes and tire rotations and one cleaning of the throttle body last October. Folks can knock Chrysler all they want, but our Jeeps and my Ram have all been superb vehicles. And so was my 1998 Dodge Durango, again with the big 5.9-litre V8....

I loved my 2000 Grand Cherokeee, too bad the trasmission had to be rebuilt 3 times...

Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Jeff - I think I'd PREFER a door off another car, so long as it was originally factory painted the color of yours. A newly painted door probably won't be as well painted.

But - I'd want a used one inspected properly, including from the inside

Old 05-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Jeff - I think I'd PREFER a door off another car, so long as it was originally factory painted the color of yours. A newly painted door probably won't be as well painted.

But - I'd want a used one inspected properly, including from the inside
That is a very interesting point...As you are right in the fact that the factory finished door would be better finished than a replacement..Hmmm.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

I cheated: I've a mate whose car door was damaged and he got a replacement from a local breaker. Perfect color match. And stayed that way as the car aged. (Not a jag, though.) So, I didn't originate the idea.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I disagree. Get a new door. A used door may have been sitting outside in the rain on a salvage car for months or years. An excellent body shop can match up your paint so well that you won't be able to perceive the difference - they certainly did with ours even though I told them it would be impossible to get it close enough to fool me. They took that as a challenge from me, and I'm glad they did. Plus, you probably won't be keeping your S-Type long enough to have to worry about paint issues down the road. But more issues with rust on a used door - that's another story entirely....

I repeat - get a new door. You'll sleep a lot better at night....

Last edited by Jon89; 05-07-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

That is a very interesting point...As you are right in the fact that the factory finished door would be better finished than a replacement..Hmmm.
+1

That's what I was trying to say earlier, plus its a relatively simple affair. Especially if you get the right year door complete with glass etc Disconnect 5 wiring harnesses, feed the harness out, pull the hinges, hang the new door, - SWAP your driver door module for your original one, and voila all is well again. Even the best painter can't lay paint the way the factory can... My X-type is proof of that now

George

Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

+1

That's what I was trying to say earlier, plus its a relatively simple affair. Especially if you get the right year door complete with glass etc Disconnect 5 wiring harnesses, feed the harness out, pull the hinges, hang the new door, - SWAP your driver door module for your original one, and voila all is well again. Even the best painter can't lay paint the way the factory can... My X-type is proof of that now

George
Yup...Agree..to a point..I have seen resorations done better than any factory could do.but that was based on the older technology. I don't know of any body shop that has the high tech equipement that the factory does....
Now, about your X..What happened? You didn't use Caruso's did you???

Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Yup...Agree..to a point..I have seen resorations done better than any factory could do.but that was based on the older technology. I don't know of any body shop that has the high tech equipement that the factory does....
Now, about your X..What happened? You didn't use Caruso's did you???
I got $3400 from the ins co. Based on a local high end body shop's estimate. I decided it wasn't worth it to put that much money into an 03 X-Type with 110k miles, which I use as my commuter / winter car. The car is probably worth less that double that.

Decided to take the check, got a used deck lid and bumper cover from ebay. Deck lid was the right color, bumper wasn't. Cost $450 delivered.

Got a used left tail light from ebay, cost = 85.00

Hung and gapped everything myself.. Cost = A six pack and a Saturday

Took the car to a friends shop to paint it. This guy paints hot rods and other crazy stuff mind you and has a very good rep. He sprayed the car for $300. He actually blended the quarters and redid the deck lid too cause he . The paint LOOKS good, but has a bit more orange peel than stock, and it's almost like at least on the bumper, the paint looks too "new" relative to the rest of the car. From 10ft away the car looks great, when you get up close to it, well you can tell. If you're picky like I am. But all said and done it cost me under $1000, and I saved $2400 into the "car fund". For a rainy day. I think I'm going to have the paint professionally machine polished to get out the years of swirls and clearcoat blemishes, to see if that helps it. I'm also tempted to buy the porter cable buffer and the pads and some stuff and see if I can learn how to do it, the X-type would be the perfect candidate.

George

Old 05-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

So, here is the update...

Met with the District Manager for Jaguar.

Door covered under warranty.

Sorry for such a boring update. It was actually that simple. He looked at it. Asked if it was ever hit. Looked at it again. Turned and told me that Jaguar will cover it under warranty.

Mike said, "call me in the morning and we'll set it up".

I guess the only words of wisdom at this point is......Be nice, smile, and actually get to know your dealer...

Oh I almost forgot.... It was nuts over there, Rick, so when I take it in for the repair I'll talk to "the parts dude" about the parcel tray anchor covers.

Also, I'm going to kid them about giving me the 2011 XJ they have sitting there with the dealer plates on it as my loaner..... Yea right!

Last edited by JOsworth; 05-19-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, good result! OK, it should never have rusted like that but good on Jag for doing the right thing!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Handled exactly as it should have been. Probably a week to get the new door, two or three days to paint and clearcoat it, another couple of days to get it hung and trimmed out. So by early June, this issue should be behind you....

Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

WTG Jeff, I am glad to see that Jaguar is standing behind this one!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

It's nice to hear good news .I don't think it's a boring update at all
Kudos to the dealer , they just made the things easy and smooth

Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

So, here is the update...

Met with the District Manager for Jaguar.

Door covered under warranty.

Sorry for such a boring update. It was actually that simple. He looked at it. Asked if it was ever hit. Looked at it again. Turned and told me that Jaguar will cover it under warranty.

Mike said, "call me in the morning and we'll set it up".

I guess the only words of wisdom at this point is......Be nice, smile, and actually get to know your dealer...

Oh I almost forgot.... It was nuts over there, Rick, so when I take it in for the repair I'll talk to "the parts dude" about the parcel tray anchor covers.

Also, I'm going to kid them about giving me the 2011 XJ they have sitting there with the dealer plates on it as my loaner..... Yea right!
Sounds good... I really didn't think they could make a case for not covering that. Make sure u go over the car top to bottom, maybe even pull a door panel or two, because I can almost bet you this will be your one and only shot at the corrosion warranty.

George

Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Veteran member

Sounds good... I really didn't think they could make a case for not covering that. Make sure u go over the car top to bottom, maybe even pull a door panel or two, because I can almost bet you this will be your one and only shot at the corrosion warranty.

George
Have done so a bit. Will do more with Mike when I bring it in.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Talked with Mike. The car is going in Tuesday the 1st and they plan on having it the rest of the week. He said they need to take things apart and document where the failure was and submit that to Jaguar. Sounds like they really care about what may have caused that door to fail like it has.

Rick, I hope you are following this... I talked with the parts guy as well. He said you can get the LATCH covers, he just needs the three digit trim code and they are $34.00 each. Hope that helps... I'm pretty sure Mike will knock a few bucks off if I ask..

Old 05-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Rick, I hope you are following this... I talked with the parts guy as well. He said you can get the LATCH covers, he just needs the three digit trim code and they are $34.00 each. Hope that helps... I'm pretty sure Mike will knock a few bucks off if I ask..
I believe that at that price you are getting the whole assembly. Scott Jaguar is high in pricing, but since I have taken Wayne (parts rep) a few bottles, my prices have come down a wee bit!

Thanks for inquiring Jeff.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Quick update since the saga isn't over. Well, I got the car back yesterday. They repaired the existing door instead of replacing it. After their explanation, I was satisfied with the logic behind the decision. So, the reason the saga isn't over is the body shop that they contracted to do the repair would make a high school auto shop look good. I've laid paint on mud flaps with spray cans better than they did! So, Mike agrees that the work was terrible and I will be scheduling another appointment. Needless to say, I'm not liking my ride at this point and writing the payment check is now going to aggravate me....This is a bad spot for me to be in...I tend to replace when that happens...

On a lighter note..My loaner was a 2010 Land Rover LR2. It was loaded up with premium sound and nav. It only had 174 miles on it whenI got it. It is a pretty nice vehicle for a crossover with a transverse mounted inline 6 and AWD. If anyone is curious about it, just ask..

Last edited by JOsworth; 06-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Corrosion Warranty Test