Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corrosion Warranty Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear that!

And more than a bit disappointed that they didn't use a shop they KNEW would do a really GOOD job.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Why did your buddy Mike accept lousy body shop work and expect you, an informed customer, to do the same? This is the first incident I can recall where he obviously hosed you. If he took the time to carefully inspect the work when the car rolled back onto his premises, he should have caught this in a heartbeat....

Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

find a happy place, find a happy place.... Jeff I understand your feelings, with a bit of luck you'll get the vehicle back and you will be more than satisfied and you can put this issue behind you in a week or so. Its just a shame people cannot do a job correctly the first time.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Why did your buddy Mike accept lousy body shop work and expect you, an informed customer, to do the same? This is the first incident I can recall where he obviously hosed you. If he took the time to carefully inspect the work when the car rolled back onto his premises, he should have caught this in a heartbeat....
I would totally agree, except his savings grace was it rolled in there about 10 minutes before I showed up and Mike was over at the BMW shop...I know that because it was still sitting in the drive up area and I went and got Mike from the other shop...

My words to him so far have just been...."you need to seriously reconsider using this shop for your work."

Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

New appointment to drop it off next Wednesday. Let's hope the second time is a charm...

Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Yep, best of luck to you. Let's hope that Mike learned his lesson....

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
New appointment to drop it off next Wednesday. Let's hope the second time is a charm...
Good luck with it man... Maybe you can talk em into a two tone Jersey Style paint job while you're at it LOL

Now... what was the rationale behind repairing the original door v/s hanging a proper replacement?

George

Old 06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Now... what was the rationale behind repairing the original door v/s hanging a proper replacement?

George
1) The rust had not gone through the door skin.. It was actually caused by a lack of exterior sealant on the lower welds. So, the interior of the door is fine.

2) The factory coatings applied at the time of assembly are better than would be applied to a primed replacement door.

Last edited by JOsworth; 06-16-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Update: I don't want my car back.....

Dropped it off this morning and they gave me a 2010 XF Premium for the rest of the week....

WOW what a car...

Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Dropped it off this morning and they gave me a 2010 XF Premium for the rest of the week....

WOW what a car...
Hi Jeff,

Maybe you can convince your wife to get an XF. Lucky devil, all I got so far from the dealer are cheesy rentals.

Mike

Old 06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi Jeff,

Maybe you can convince your wife to get an XF. Lucky devil, all I got so far from the dealer are cheesy rentals.

Mike
Wow Mike, don't they have a selection of loaners? The XF was unusual. Normally they only have LR2's. They used to have X-Types and S-Types. It was the service manager that grabbed the keys to the XF. I think he's just trying to butter me up....

On the other hand there were two times that they were out of loaners and had to get me a rental..

Old 06-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Josworth, I thought the one good thing Ford did for Jaguar was to improve corrosion protection. Obviously not. I wonder if this is another Jaguar blunder? Sooner or later water (usually laden with dissoved salt and/or acids) is going to get down the door internals. I'm astonished that a contributor reports "no drain-holes"! I'm going to look at mine tomorrow asap, as it's dark now.
Leedsman.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

XF is an addictive machine some sort of . I am glad your rust problems gone as well .

Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow Mike, don't they have a selection of loaners? The XF was unusual. Normally they only have LR2's. They used to have X-Types and S-Types. It was the service manager that grabbed the keys to the XF. I think he's just trying to butter me up....

On the other hand there were two times that they were out of loaners and had to get me a rental..
Hi Jeff,

My dealership sold off the loaners and went with Enterprise a couple of years ago. I kind of teased the service rep about not getting an XF and she just laughed about it. Probably just as well, as I might not want to give the XF back.

Mike

Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by cadillac
XF is an addictive machine some sort of . I am glad your rust problems gone as well .
Yea, the rust is fixed, and to address other concerns regarding overall quality..This was/is an isolated incident and not an indication of overall build quality. Remember, where I live it is not uncommon to see a 6 year old car starting to rot out.

My issue is a classic one. The reason I've not pursued changing out the trans cooling line. A small problem has been replaced with a really big one. When I dropped my car off the second time, it looks like some crappy beater with mis-matched paint.. I know, I call my S the "beater"..But I never wanted my joke to turn into a reality....

About the XF...WOW again...What is really amazing is how more refined it feels even being based on the S Type. The funny thing is how many of the under parts are the same as the S. Open the hood or look at the trunk and you can still see the S platform in there. What a testimony to the overall engineering that went into the S from the start.. Another interesting point that I want to look into..The car I have is at about 8k miles. There is NO sign of the dreaded lurch despite having the ZF 6 speed trans in it as well. I wonder what was changed? Oh, and the new 5.0 V8 is absolutely one of the sweetest driving and sounding engines that I have ever had the pleasure of driving. I bet the supercharged 5.0 is amazing!

Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

They'd probably let you keep the XF.

But..... they're gonna want some extra cash from you

Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
They'd probably let you keep the XF.

But..... they're gonna want some extra cash from you
Yup...Waaaaayyyyy more than I'm able to spend on a daily driver...

Hopefully they depreciate as fast as the S...So, in a few years, Woo Hooo!

Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Veteran member

So, a quick update. Friday afternoon came and I still hadn't heard from Mike. So, I rang him up at 4. He said he was sorry he hadn't called yet because he was real busy. Anyway, he then told me that my car actually came back on Thursday and he sent it back. He said it should be done Tuesday. Told them that it has to be perfect before he'll accept the car. I'm sure that is what would have happened if he had seen it first the original time. What is driving me nuts is why they are using this shop to begin with. Then again, this body shop was the one that fixed the wind noise coming from the molding.

At this point my thread has seemed to turn into a short story instead of something that someone could see and/or use to get similar issues fixed under warranty...

I just want my car back with matching paint....Where is Caruso's when you need them...Oh, yea, 450 miles away....

Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jeff if you ever come across needing a paint/body shop again at your expense. Go to the Ford dealer in Solon, (they have changed names and I can't remember who they are now) talk to Chuck Kuhn. Chuck is my long time buddy and he is good.... really good!!! Tell him Rick Kara sent you.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Jeff,
If you did want to take the car to Carusos let me know when you're going to be here and I'll have the beer cold and the steaks on the grill....
I hope it all works out.. I know how heartbreaking it can be to expect one thing and see the car and it be something completely different.

George

Quick Reply: Corrosion Warranty Test