S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost for rotors for an 06 StypeR

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost for rotors for an 06 StypeR

Can someone give me an idea of the cost. Can they be turned down rather than replaced?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Search. There's plenty out there already.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fogey0
Can someone give me an idea of the cost. Can they be turned down rather than replaced?
Well I did my brakes at the dealer on the 1st of November and its expensive but then again I just recently bought my 07' STR on september. Total cost just for the front was $900 I KNOW I KNOW!!!!!! OUCH. But mean while start looking for a place that do it cheap but not dirty cheap just remember the saying "You get what you pay for", it happens all the time. Make sure they fix european cars also.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

You could turn them if they need it and are within the spec. See the workshop manual
(ebay $6-10)
An 06 likely doesn't have Brembo calipers but make sure you check the correct disc specs (thickness etc)

edit: The discs are unlikely to need turning. As others say, no need to do it routinely. Just check thickness and if OK leave them alone. If getting too thin, replace

Last edited by JagV8; 12-02-2010 at 02:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fogey0 (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Half the reason for reading this website is to learn how to do things yourself- like brake jobs.

The other reason would be to learn what's true vs. what's myth and misunderstanding- like 'warped' rotors that need to be 'turned'.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Half the reason for reading this website is to learn how to do things yourself- like brake jobs.

The other reason would be to learn what's true vs. what's myth and misunderstanding- like 'warped' rotors that need to be 'turned'.

Not to state the obvious here, but some people don't have the time, tools, skills or even a location to do work like this themselves.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And this means what?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Not to state the obvious here, but some people don't have the time, tools, skills or even a location to do work like this themselves.
Understood. So they are going to seek a shop to do the work. It's great to go forearmed but in the end they probably will be totaly dependant upon the shop's decisions. Most shops hate owners that know something. Find the one that doesn't and hang on to it. Oh and BTW, pay them fairly.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by fogey0
And this means what?
Warped rotors are pretty much a myth- if pedal pulsations are experienced then it's simply pad material that's been transferred to the rotor surface in 99.9% of cases. Easily removed with a coarse grit sandpaper and angle grinder.

Rotors do not need to be turned as routine mtce, pulsations or not.

Installing new pads can be done yourself in less time than it takes to drive to your local garage. Worth learning how.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
I agree on that. I Don't have time, tools, and location for it.

Last edited by Glockjag; 12-01-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

If one wants to do one's own maintenance I'd suggest broadening your scope well beyond this website. I don't have the same take as you on this websites purpose. Yes, somethings described on here are complete and pose very little risk if you follow the procedure but in a lot of cases I don't think this is a very good place to learn about how to do maintenance soup to nuts. I look at it as a place to get tips for this particular vehicle.
It's aimed more at the experienced amateur mechanic. Brakes are a serious safety issue on your car.

There are numerous things that can cause pedal pulsation and or steering wheel jiggle. One of them IS warped rotors but that's not the only one. When it is deposition of pad material sometimes it's easier to just throw new rotors on if they're cheap than it is to screw with cleaning or turning the old ones. My 2001 Sable has very inexpensive rotors and over time it's one of those cars that does develop the pad deposition issue. It was even worse while I had cross drilled rotors on the car.

My 99 K2500 Suburban is a lot more work and I have the rotors turned on the vehicle. That works out very nicely. I do it about every 60K miles.

Other times I've had corrosion develop between the slip-on rotor hat and the hub. When I get new tires or just have them balanced then the rotors on some cars become loose while the wheels are off. If there's junk between the hub and rotor's hat you get the pulsation.

I just put new pads on the 05 STR @ 19K miles and you can see how the OEM pads did a great job of making the rotors thinner but with properly cleaned calipers and new pads with a decent bed-in period worked flawlessly. A shop most likely wouldn't take this approach for a variety of reasons.

So there's no one simple answer to how to do a brake job.

Bob S.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
If one wants to do one's own maintenance I'd suggest broadening your scope well beyond this website.
So there's no one simple answer to how to do a brake job.

Bob S.
Agreed on both points- and everyone has their own reasons for coming here. Going back to the OPs question, he asks the cost for a set of rotors and/or if they can be turned.

A person that has their mtce. done by either a dealer or local garage would not likely ask either question unless they're simply preparing a budget or expecting that they'll get overcharged.

TypeR rotors, as owners have discovered, are not cheap throw-aways like on many domestic cars. The act of routinely turning rotors as part of a brake job is unnecessary, yet the general public has been conned into believing 'bad things will happen' if it is not done.

I suppose without more info from the OP, his motives for asking the question would only be speculation on my (our) part.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I can't think of a time I have had a rotor turned. I check the thickness and hit it with some coarse sandpaper.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

The act of routinely turning rotors as part of a brake job is unnecessary, yet the general public has been conned into believing 'bad things will happen' if it is not done.
For shop doing the work there's no way they're going to scuff-up a set of rotors and throw new pads on your car. Just from a liability standpoint it opens them up to too much risk. I agree it's not very likely that anything bad will happen but ... The other thing is if you turn them or put new ones on you're going to get a smooth operating brake system right away every time. There's no danger of a funky bed-in period which possibly could open them up to liability not to mention customer complaints and bring backs. So we pay the extra price ... The concept is not unique to automobile maintenance. I don't know first hand but I think it's even more stringent in aircraft maintenance. At least I hope so ...

For me, if I've got issues with really bad pulsation then if the rotors aren't like gold I put in the new ones because I like my cars "just so" and I don't want to go back and visit the repair again.

Bob S.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
... The concept is not unique to automobile maintenance. I don't know first hand but I think it's even more stringent in aircraft maintenance. At least I hope so ...
Now you're in my field of 'expertise', having spent 31 years at a major OEM. No offence but your presumption of how things operate in aviation is pretty much the exact opposite, thankfully. My background causes me to disagree with the idea of doing unnecessary work, such as automatically turning rotors, on the vague pretext of legal liability issues.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Now you're in my field of 'expertise', having spent 31 years at a major OEM. No offence but your presumption of how things operate in aviation is pretty much the exact opposite, thankfully. My background causes me to disagree with the idea of doing unnecessary work, such as automatically turning rotors, on the vague pretext of legal liability issues.
You are mistaken. I had a Cessna 172 for years and I oftentimes had to do scheduled maintenance where wear items were replaced based solely on how long they had been on the plane. Whether they needed it or not. It was preventative.....

Rotors need not always be turned....causes them to wear out more quickly...

Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Well remind me to never fly to Canada again ...

In California and New Jersey you practically have to sign legal release forms just to use a urinal. So maybe the environment is different in Canada.

Anyway, I know the reasons I've listed are why shops don't just change pads. Obviously it's a waste in a lot of cases but for a lot of people what else can they do.

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 12-02-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default Back to Rotors

Speakin' of airplanes ... Guys, I think we hijacked this thread pretty thorougly now. Can we get arrested for this?

The 06 STR rotors are maybe not covered on this website as exhaustively as the Brembo style ones have been. They're also inherently less expensive. If you don't find much in the threads here I would get a copy of JTIS, the oh so funky Jaguar maintenance manual, to verify the dimensions because they're different than the Brembo ones. Then when you order rotors from www.cheapestbrakepartsintheuniverse.com you can query them about dimensions so that you get the right ones. The numerous websites out there have the info for the STR rotors all f*ucked up most of the time. If you need the dimensions quickly I can look them up for you.

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 12-02-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM

Umm, that's half a story.

Items that have a time limit (X number of hours, cycles, calender years) are usually relegated to that type of replacement interval because there are no cost-effective and/or non-destructive inspections available to effectively/adequately assess the airworthiness of the component. No use spending $100 to inspect a $50 spark plug and there's not much point in cutting the main spar in half just to find out that there was nothing wrong with it.

Your 172 has what's known as 'hard time' mtce and back in the dark days of aviation when it was certificated, was the only alternative. This is as antiquated as twice a year tune up at Canadian Tire after a 'free inspection'.

Modern aircraft, including all the aircraft types I looked after, use a process called MSG3 to create a basic progressive and on-condition type maintenance program.

Please read here for the basics:

http://www.aviationtoday.com/am/repa...G-3_33062.html

I was a member of several MRB and ISC's for various aircraft types. This is one of the few functions I miss participating in after taking retirement last year. I could tell horror stories about aircraft maintained strictly on 'hard time', but you probably would never want to fly again. I could also give examples of the harm that over-maintenance can do, but that's for another day.

Back on topic, car brake rotors would be and are a perfect candidate for an on-condition program, and in fact aircraft brake rotors are maintained in this manner.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

I could tell horror stories about aircraft maintained strictly on 'hard time', but you probably would never want to fly again.
OK let's cut to the chase, which airlines should I avoid?

Quick Reply: Cost for rotors for an 06 StypeR