S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a poor alignment of S-Type cause control arm bushing wear and inside of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Could a poor alignment of S-Type cause control arm bushing wear and inside of tires?

Hello;

Can anyone tell me if a service department did poor alignment of the tires, could that cause the control arm bushings go bad, or cause the tires to wear on the inside if not aligned correctly? The Jaguar dealer put on new tires on the back in March and I asked that the car be aligned at that time. They stated the front tires were fine and that I didn't need them replaced they were at 80%. Since then, when driving on highway and I hit any rut or dip in concrete, the car feels as though it is going to jump into the other lane. This didn't happen before I took the car in to have it aligned. Now the inside of the front tires are worn and they are trying to charge me $1300 for the "control arm" and state I need new tires. What's up with this?

I am a woman of 63 and I'm not stupid. Did they see me coming and are trying to snow me with the situation now? If the front tires had 80% and the alignment was done, why two months later are my tires wearing on the inside and I now need the "Control Arm Bushings" replaced.

Anyone with car knowledge, would you tell me if I'm correct?

Kay R

Old 06-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Hi Kay,

Were the tires themselves speed balanced when changed?

Also, the only way to know if a car is truly out of alignment is to get it on the machine and check - of course if all suspension parts check out. If there is any "play" in any of the suspension parts - including the control arms - yes, this could definitely cause the issues your describing.

I'm sure others will be chiming in.

So, in essence - if the dealership recommended an alignment and you passed up on it - then it is not their responsibility. Good Luck.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Alignment mechanic is supposed to check suspension before doing alignment.
Components included but not limited to:
toe rods inner and outer
ball joints
control arm bushings
If some component is bad, mechanic should notify customer and refuse to do alignment.

In real life:
mechanics don't check suspension before alignment
they don't do alignment but charge for it

Additional important info:
90% of car mechanics are idiots
99% of alignment mechanics are idiots.
Older women are best targets for rip off.

I developed a system to align wheels on my driveway and always do it myself.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Kay R
Hello;

Can anyone tell me if a service department did poor alignment of the tires, could that cause the control arm bushings go bad, or cause the tires to wear on the inside if not aligned correctly?
The alignment could not cause the control arm bushings to wear, but bad bushings could cause the alignment to be incorrect which would wear the tires.

Take the car somewhere for a second opinion on the bushing wear.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Which year etc car? The alignment was changed and apparently many shops have the old (wrong) one. Newer one - big thread about alignment.