Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack in radiator plastic, time to change

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crack in radiator plastic, time to change

Hi all.
Long time no post. Been fixing my baby's problems with the help of this site as needed through the years. But I've come across a problem that I haven't seen in full detail yet. A how to on replacing a radiator on these cars. I've been putting it off for a week but I need to do it.

I verified that the radiator was cracked by tracing the dried up water stain up to the crack. I couldn't visually see it because it's facing the grill side where space is tight. At first I thought it was the drain plug because the water was leaking right from there, but when I got under the car I could see the trail leading up to the top and coincidentally drip right from the drain plug. Back on the top I could see the trail going down the plastic and to the bottom and thats where I see the long hairline crack.

Soooo... I got a new radiator and am waiting to replace it. However, I have one of those Prestone Flush n Fill kit where u attach the water hose, and I wanted to attach it to my system to flush it out. Where would be a good place to install the tee needed to flush? The instructions say on the heater inline. Which one is that on our car? There's so many hoses that are connected together in a matrix that I don't want to attach it to the wrong hose.
Or is there any easier way to flush without the kit. My system needs a flush bad, that water trail was a lil rusty.

Back to the radiator, after I flush system, I'm going to install the new rad. It seems fairly straight forward. Detach upper and lower hoses and pull up, correct? Do I need to remove the fan first or can I disconnect the electrical connectors and bring the fan up with me? The a/c and transmission lines look like it wont be in the war, nor are they attached to the radiator... whewww. Just two hoses and out. Any advice anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

Edit:

Also my JTIS manual doesn't work because I have windows 7 home now. WTF!?!?!
Is there anyone so kind enough out there to point me to or upload some diagrams of the cooling system, hoses, heater core, etc.. anything to get a visual on how to go about navigating thru this matrix of hoses is greatly appreciated.
I will start uploading pics on this venture.

Last edited by S.Typer; 08-03-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, just changed mine last month, it's not difficult but time consuming. I wish I would have taken pics but it's not as difficult as it seems. The first things that needs to come of is the Bumper cover, that will make it easy to access the bolts that hold the condenser onto the radiator itself. Fan shroud has 2 bolts, remove the entire air intake including air cleaner. Be careful not to break any plastic parts on the upper radiator hose trying to wiggle the radiator out. Loosen the Oil cooler and trans cooler lines on the right side of the radiator. Make sure you save all the foam, you'll be needing that for the new one. Be careful and genlte pulling the radiator out, there's little wiggle room. Make sure you save the foam support pads that attach to the side of the radiator. Other than that it's abot a 3 hr job.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You can ndownload and install virtual PC from MS. It runs in Win7. Then you can install the JTIS in the XP mode. Works well for me.

The following users liked this post:
StypeRowner (08-08-2011)