S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Country in the '03 STR

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

They make non-cat shocks, all four are available for about $450, while a significant improvement (or so I've heard) it comes at a high price...It'll probably be $400-$600 to install them...If you want new springs the labor won't increase at all but you'll need to add another $350 to the parts bill...So you're at a $1200-$1400 investment for a car that may be difficult to sell for $10K...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Rebuilding on the road?

That's quite an advertisement for not taking the car on any long trips.

Sorry you missed out on the under the supercharger coolant hose repair on the same trip. You know, I think were cheated a bit of having the full experience

How many miles were on your car when all of this happened?

Originally Posted by cliff328
I learned my lesson on this one. I travelled from Washington,
across the Trans-Canada highway, down thru Minnesota, then
to Georgia and the Carolinas.

Before I left, I was tempted to change the DCCV, since I was
draining and replacing the anti-freeze. I didn't: Remember, it's
not if, but when that damnable valve will fail. And fail it did, in
South Carolina. When it does, the system goes to full hot...just
what you need when you're driving across the Arizona desert.
And yes, when it fails it will probably take the climate control
valve with it. The DCCV is a first class bitch to change in the
comfort of your own home. Not to worry; any Jaguar dealer
will be pleased to relieve you of approximately $900 dollars to
replace it. And this is after you're probably driven 5 or 6 hundred
in sauna conditions to reach the dealer.

But wait, there's more! Now the dealer wants $1,400 dollars to
replace the CCM. Replacing the DCCV will not control the sauna
conditions in the vehicle if the CCM is fried. So now you get to
remove the glove compartment, pull the CCM, and ship it off to
that guy in Brea, CA. Hey, at least that's in the direction you're
going. That is, if you would rather pay $350 vs $1,400.

Ah yes, zooming across the Southwest desert with the air-conditioning
on, all the windows and the sunroof open and sweating like a
pig is great fun..all because you didn't change a $150 dollar part
before you left.

Finally, change the 2 piece lugnuts. Stop at a Toyota dealer and
purchase 20 one piece lugs. Take one of yours in to the
dealership to match them up. The Toyota's are slightly larger
than the stock Jaguar's. Next, ya go to Harbor Freight and purchase
a nice torque wrench (on sale for $9.95) and a socket for the new
lug nuts. The wrench comes in a plastic container which will
fit easily in the spare tire compartment.

Trying to change a spare on a clear, cold, dark night in the Arizona
desert requiring the removal of the Jag 2 piece lugs with the factory
lug wrench will require every swear word in you vocabulary. However,
not to worry..you know the broken DCCV is keeping the vehicle nice
and toasty on the inside, and, you'll be kept company by numerous
rattle snakes trying to befriend you and find a warm place to sleep.

Have a nice trip.

Cliff

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

Kind of curious about this, what's considered an improvement when it comes to the shocks?

Mine had 14K when I picked it up and I've never been all that impressed with either the ride or the handling of this car in more extreme conditions such as pushing it hard or when going fast over bumpy surfaces. It feels neither smooth or all that secure. On smooth roads it's OK. The front wheels feel like they wobble around a lot as if the suspension in front washes out under adverse conditions and just can't cope. There's nothing worn or broken on my car either. I just think Jaguar didn't get it right.

So do these shocks remedy that?

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
They make non-cat shocks, all four are available for about $450, while a significant improvement (or so I've heard) it comes at a high price...It'll probably be $400-$600 to install them...If you want new springs the labor won't increase at all but you'll need to add another $350 to the parts bill...So you're at a $1200-$1400 investment for a car that may be difficult to sell for $10K...

Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Kind of curious about this, what's considered an improvement when it comes to the shocks?

Mine had 14K when I picked it up and I've never been all that impressed with either the ride or the handling of this car in more extreme conditions such as pushing it hard or when going fast over bumpy surfaces. It feels neither smooth or all that secure. On smooth roads it's OK. The front wheels feel like they wobble around a lot as if the suspension in front washes out under adverse conditions and just can't cope. There's nothing worn or broken on my car either. I just think Jaguar didn't get it right.

As I pointed out, I don't have them...I can the tell in both my S-Types that I've owned the rears are too soft...Whether that's the shocks, springs or both who knows...I've thought about getting just new rear shocks, but I'd be ticked after spending $500 only to find out that it was the springs or that the new rear shocks stiffened up the rear too much and now I have to do the fronts...Thus, if I'm spending all the money on labor I'd want to do the springs...lol

A question I've asked which no one has answered...Has anyone noticed a better 60' during launches after upgrading the suspension?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Suspension tuning is best left to experts IMHO.
I'd be interested in an engineered solution with a good reputation but not much else. I live in an area full of difficult road surface conditions.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Mine had 14K when I picked it up and I've never been all that impressed with either the ride or the handling of this car in more extreme conditions such as pushing it hard or when going fast over bumpy surfaces. It feels neither smooth or all that secure. On smooth roads it's OK. The front wheels feel like they wobble around a lot as if the suspension in front washes out under adverse conditions and just can't cope. There's nothing worn or broken on my car either.
I'm rather surprised that an 05 car has nothing worn or broken. It's all been renewed?

What you describe doesn't sound right.
I just think Jaguar didn't get it right.
Could be, though there looks to be a lack of evidence let alone others saying so.

Suspension & handling are both complex and subjective it seems.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Suspension tuning is best left to experts IMHO.
I'd be interested in an engineered solution with a good reputation but not much else. I live in an area full of difficult road surface conditions.
These aren't adjustable coilovers where you can adjust dampening or rebound, so there's no real "tuning" here...It's simply replacing worn parts with stiffer than stock parts...Many, none of which I believe are experts, have been satisfied with the stiffer H&R & bilstein setup but that's probably compared to their spongy, worn out OEM setup...The fact is the car will handle better but will one like the stiffer setup on rough roads? Who knows...

Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

When was the last time you had it aligned? That fixed a lot of front end issues for me and make sure you go with Brutal's alignment.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Default I'll try to answer all of these in one shot.

The car had 14K miles when I got it and now has 28K miles. It got an alignment shortly after I bought it and yes with all of the latest alignment specs. I brought them with me. It still drives now as it did after that alignment. I had the alignment shop go over the car at the time so in the improbable event that something was broken with the suspension they should have found it. They guys do a lot of race cars too. They know their stuff.

But I can take it back in again it's been a while now so maybe it's a good idea anyway.

Anytime you change the nature of suspension pieces you're involved in suspension tuning.

When I said Jaguar just didn't get it right I didn't mean the car is horrible. It's very nice on smooth roads when driven like a gentleman. That's the idea behind the standard version of this car and when they made their changes for the "R" version I suspect they didn't reach world class levels like a M series BMW. It just doesn't have the same dialed in sporty feel. The reviews at that time said as much.

I do wonder if a strut tower brace in the front would help but I don't get the impression that's the problem.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Any review you can point to? I've read plenty but don't recall that.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Any review you can point to? I've read plenty but don't recall that.
Car & Driver, Road & Track and probably Automobile magazines.

I looked at all of them I can't remember which issues though.

That was the consensus opinion at the time. I knew that when I decided to get one used.

I'm just a bit surprised at how the front end end seems to go all wobbly on really bumpy roads when pushed hard. When I go in for another alignment I'll talk with them and see if they have any ideas. Maybe a bit more toe-in would help though I would think it has more to do with a bit more compliance with the bushings in front and so the geometry changes too easily? Just a guess.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I see Automobile were the ones who found the SC whine annoying. Road & Track appear to have lost their review or taken it down. Oh well. It's all a bit marginal and subjective at some point.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

The car had 14K miles when I got it and now has 28K miles. It got an alignment shortly after I bought it and yes with all of the latest alignment specs. I brought them with me. It still drives now as it did after that alignment. I had the alignment shop go over the car at the time so in the improbable event that something was broken with the suspension they should have found it. They guys do a lot of race cars too. They know their stuff.

But I can take it back in again it's been a while now so maybe it's a good idea anyway.

Anytime you change the nature of suspension pieces you're involved in suspension tuning.

When I said Jaguar just didn't get it right I didn't mean the car is horrible. It's very nice on smooth roads when driven like a gentleman. That's the idea behind the standard version of this car and when they made their changes for the "R" version I suspect they didn't reach world class levels like a M series BMW. It just doesn't have the same dialed in sporty feel. The reviews at that time said as much.

I do wonder if a strut tower brace in the front would help but I don't get the impression that's the problem.
If an upper strut tower exists, they're near pointless unless you can get the lower strut/tie bar as well...

Found this article and a snipet is: "They [The Jag production team] most emphatically did not set out, they will tell you, to create a head-on challenger to the BMW M5.

We'd say the development team hit its target. The S-type R eschews the gunfighter reflexes of a hard-edged supersedan such as the M5 in favor of a smoother ride, elevated elegance, and a more laid-back approach to fast touring."

"The Jag's handling is similarly constrained, but here the distinction is more subtle. Although tuned for supple ride quality, the S-type R hasn't entirely abandoned the art of transient response. It surprised us with the best lane-change time, despite developing the least grip on the skidpad, and it was willing--if not always able--to keep up on serpentine byways. Braking was also respectable, on a par with all but the BMW at the test track, although there were reports of mild fade on mountain roads."

2003 Audi RS 6 vs. BMW M5, Jaguar S-type R, M-B E55 AMG Comparison Tests - Page 2 - Car and Driver

Suspension parts wear and we also have really cheap suspension bushings; we do not have an upgrade bushing replacement...As far as handling goes, you need to first determine what you want to excel in, the street, autoX or road racing...Then you can't forget about tires as they are extremely important along with specific tire inflation...

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 04-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,924 Likes on 8,412 Posts

What's this ???? A legal American citizen crossing a border (either Aridzony or Nevader) and coming into SoCal ???

Oh myohmyohmyohmy what is going on ???

Welcome to bright sunshiny SoCal, San Diego is a great place in which to live. If you have kids, you'll get to know...Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park and Dizzyland. Take lots of money...and many other good places to visit..

Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Well I have zero experience with modifying the suspension on this car but on several of my others that do go to the track and have strut type design it does make a difference.

I've driven lots of high end GT cars that were not designed as "hard edged" sports cars but the front wheels don't flop about under pressure like they do on my STR.

Yes I was aware of all the articles and that's actual what I was looking for. That being said, I think they missed the mark on steering feel and that god awful transmission. If you drive like a manual it's a lot better but it just kills your gas mileage. My 90 Q45 had far superior feeling drive train than this car does. That tranny seemed to know what I intended when I was driving it. This one is schizophrenic at best.

The lack of a limited slip diff and using a cockamamie system involving the rear calipers as a substitute makes me feel like I'm driving a buck board wagon when I try to take off briskly. I haven't done a whole lot of experimenting with leaving the traction control turned off as I mostly drive around town. If you drive it gently and slowly it's fine. But try to get going in a hurry and it loses it's composure quite easily.

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
If an upper strut tower exists, they're near pointless unless you can get the lower strut/tie bar as well...

Found this article and a snipet is: "They [The Jag production team] most emphatically did not set out, they will tell you, to create a head-on challenger to the BMW M5.

We'd say the development team hit its target. The S-type R eschews the gunfighter reflexes of a hard-edged supersedan such as the M5 in favor of a smoother ride, elevated elegance, and a more laid-back approach to fast touring."

"The Jag's handling is similarly constrained, but here the distinction is more subtle. Although tuned for supple ride quality, the S-type R hasn't entirely abandoned the art of transient response. It surprised us with the best lane-change time, despite developing the least grip on the skidpad, and it was willing--if not always able--to keep up on serpentine byways. Braking was also respectable, on a par with all but the BMW at the test track, although there were reports of mild fade on mountain roads."

2003 Audi RS 6 vs. BMW M5, Jaguar S-type R, M-B E55 AMG Comparison Tests - Page 2 - Car and Driver

Suspension parts wear and we also have really cheap suspension bushings; we do not have an upgrade bushing replacement...As far as handling goes, you need to first determine what you want to excel in, the street, autoX or road racing...Then you can't forget about tires as they are extremely important along with specific tire inflation...

Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Thanks. I see Automobile were the ones who found the SC whine annoying. Road & Track appear to have lost their review or taken it down. Oh well. It's all a bit marginal and subjective at some point.
A while back I drove a M6 6-speed convertible and my car back to back. Yes the M6 is a hell of a lot more expensive but it quickly highlighted what I'm talking about. I think the M5 would have as well. The M6 didn't seem like it was hard edged at all, just precise. There's no room in that car though!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

the front wheels don't flop about under pressure like they do on my STR.
I don't recall that comment anywhere before. Odd. Very odd.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Well I have zero experience with modifying the suspension on this car but on several of my others that do go to the track and have strut type design it does make a difference.

I've driven lots of high end GT cars that were not designed as "hard edged" sports cars but the front wheels don't flop about under pressure like they do on my STR.

Yes I was aware of all the articles and that's actual what I was looking for. That being said, I think they missed the mark on steering feel and that god awful transmission. If you drive like a manual it's a lot better but it just kills your gas mileage. My 90 Q45 had far superior feeling drive train than this car does. That tranny seemed to know what I intended when I was driving it. This one is schizophrenic at best.

The lack of a limited slip diff and using a cockamamie system involving the rear calipers as a substitute makes me feel like I'm driving a buck board wagon when I try to take off briskly. I haven't done a whole lot of experimenting with leaving the traction control turned off as I mostly drive around town. If you drive it gently and slowly it's fine. But try to get going in a hurry and it loses it's composure quite easily.
Why not do what I plan on doing, buy a supercharged 2010+ Jag XF which has 464hp, 5.0, twin screw, limited slip diff & air conditioned seats? In two years they're projected to be right at the $30K mark & by then you MIGHT be able to cheaply regear that twin screw to put out 500hp to the wheels all without the heat of the roots type S/C...FYI, the Jag XF has a non-R supercharged model and the more expensive/powerful XFR...

Old 04-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Given the economic and political winds cars like this may just end up on blocks.

It's hard to justify something that gets such bad gas mileage. Honestly, mine is no better than a modern day Lamborghini around town.

Perhaps the newer engine is better?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe, but gas mileage around town is probably not a factor that is huge on the list of prioritites for any of these cars (STR, XFR, XKR, Lambo, etc). I think the modern Lambo is more costly than your STR?

Quick Reply: Cross Country in the '03 STR