S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Country in the '03 STR

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Floppy front ends, and what not aside.....

I would make sure to have a roll of Silicon Tape in the glove box. Temp resistant, wrap and seal just about anything you can get it around, and costs about $5 for a roll available at Home Depot. I get some duct tape as well, and silicone sealant.

Back to floppy front ends.....I'm in agreement with Staatsof - the front end is crazy soft - don't know if I'd go floppy. I've always chalked it up to the beefiness of the ride, understeer and piggish refusal to turn in on the throttle just seemed appropriate for a ride so fat in the can - staggered (retarded) wheel fitment be damned.

So I don't drive it that way. That's what a motorcycle is for.

The STR is Big Fish on the highway eating up miles in comfort and quiet, with wifey on board and the three kids in the back - getting 25mpg over 900 miles, with an average moving velocity of 75mph (NC to IL - avoiding Chicago in favor of 39/51 up the gut). I get 19-21mpg back and forth to work - a 25 mile one way trip, about half city, half highway.

When using the right tool for the right job, there are usually few complaints. I don't use a chainsaw to brush my teeth, and I don't ask the STR to give me *** end rotating, part throttle, snap in turning.....

Old 04-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah, that silicone tape is what I was trying to remember over on the under the supercharger GD hose failure thread! Thanks.

No, it's not supposed to be an M3 but I still think it should be better. The chassis and drive train aren't up to the engine's performance IMHO. I guess that's why they're so cheep compared to the BMW M5 and Audi S6?

I'm envious of your mileage figures. 25 mpg is impossible in my car even using cruise control set to 65. On very long trips I can squeak out almost 23 but as soon as I pull off for gas or to have lunch it drops at least 2 mpg just because of that short local driving stint.

Originally Posted by jar
Floppy front ends, and what not aside.....

I would make sure to have a roll of Silicon Tape in the glove box. Temp resistant, wrap and seal just about anything you can get it around, and costs about $5 for a roll available at Home Depot. I get some duct tape as well, and silicone sealant.

Back to floppy front ends.....I'm in agreement with Staatsof - the front end is crazy soft - don't know if I'd go floppy. I've always chalked it up to the beefiness of the ride, understeer and piggish refusal to turn in on the throttle just seemed appropriate for a ride so fat in the can - staggered (retarded) wheel fitment be damned.

So I don't drive it that way. That's what a motorcycle is for.

The STR is Big Fish on the highway eating up miles in comfort and quiet, with wifey on board and the three kids in the back - getting 25mpg over 900 miles, with an average moving velocity of 75mph (NC to IL - avoiding Chicago in favor of 39/51 up the gut). I get 19-21mpg back and forth to work - a 25 mile one way trip, about half city, half highway.

When using the right tool for the right job, there are usually few complaints. I don't use a chainsaw to brush my teeth, and I don't ask the STR to give me *** end rotating, part throttle, snap in turning.....

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Default STR made it to San Diego!

The STR made it to San Diego. Ate about 125 gallons of premium (can't find much 93 octane west of the mississippi, 91 has to suffice) and figure about 40 hours in the saddle from Phila. No trouble except very tense moment in the Grand Canyon parking lot. I followed the advise of a fellow poster and loosened the expansion tank cap to unpressurize the system and save some stress on the superchager hose. Well after climbing to about 7000 feet the expansion tank decided to puke about half a gallon of coolant once the engine was shut off...I really thought the dreaded SC hose was busted and we were about 80 miles from Flagstaff. No overheating and a few minutes later I emptied 3 pints of bottled water into the expansion tank and TIGHTENED the cap all the way....everything is good now. Only burned one quart of oil in 3,000 miles. Averaged over 25 MPG while cruising at about 90 and at times over a buck on I40 from OK westward. The STR seat is not as comfortable as the S , it grabs at your sides too much for spending 12 plus hours a day in the saddle. All said the kitty purred perfectly, didnt see many other S types on the road.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

You won't find the higher octane fuel at higher elevation because at 5000 feet 91 is basically equivalent to 93.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't find 93 octane in San Diego. 91 Octane is the best you can get. I did find a VP racing fuel station in Pacific beach only nine bucks a gallon for 110!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

North American S-types and type Rs are calibrated for 91 octane- no need for anything higher, it's just a waste of many.