S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crunch.... and Ouch....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I like the chrome add ons though!!!!! Except for the wheels off course, which appear to need some cleaning!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Hi Jon,

The plates look like NJ, so maybe it's from Trenton. Totally ghetto-ized though. You're right, probably drug or pimp money involved.

Mike
Actually No...

It's a little white guy who works at a body shop in south Jersey right outside of Atlantic City...

He does this for a "living" He buys Early S-types, "Pimps" them out, and then sells them to the "urban element" He usually has 3 or 4 for sale at a time, and they all are over the top ghettofied. He's be doing it for a while, so I guess there is a market for this type of thing.

Go on Craigslist, South Jersey and search for S-Type. You'll find all his masterpieces...

George

Old 05-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

"Masterpieces", huh? I'm all for the little guy making a living out there in the big bad world, but this home-boy Michaelangelo oughtta be shot. He is devaluing the S-Type badge every time he rolls another one of his disasters out the door. Our S-Types depreciate rapidly enough as it is - we don't need a hack like this speeding up the process....

Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
"Masterpieces", huh? I'm all for the little guy making a living out there in the big bad world, but this home-boy Michaelangelo oughtta be shot. He is devaluing the S-Type badge every time he rolls another one of his disasters out the door. Our S-Types depreciate rapidly enough as it is - we don't need a hack like this speeding up the process....
Well done, nicely said. I think I just threw up in my mouth a tad when I saw that vehicle.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

The original ad for the first car:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1726853549.html

Another one of his "Works of art"

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1709335562.html

This guy must REALLY think these cars are Chrysler 300c's lol...

George

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't spell nor can he create a nice car.

"runs perfect like a 29k milage luxary car"

Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi George,

Actually, he thinks they are a lot like Bugattis. He may be right...they're ugly too.

Mike

Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

This guy is SUCH a joke. I would love to send an anonymous email explaining IN DETAIL my utter displeasure for his "masterpieces"

Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I get down that way often and have never seen any of his works driving around the area. With luck, the type of guy probably buying them are doing deals going bad and ending up with the car, strapped to the steering wheel, in the Atlantic. What the heck, with all the oil floating up the coast and that area being a great sewage dump site for New York right now, good bet you will never see them in those murky depths ever again.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Our S-Type went into the local franchise of Colors On Parade late today for the rear bumper repair. It should be ready by late Wednesday. I expect a perfect fix with no visible evidence of my wife's encounter with the trailer hitch. There's been a small scratch on the extreme lower part of the rear bumper on the drivers side since before we purchased the car, the only scratch on the car up until the trailer hitch. It has never bothered me enough to even put a layer of touch-up paint over it. Colors On Parade will fix that scratch for free as part of their process. The rear bumper will already be off the car, they have plenty of my Quartz paint, so they will fix it as a goodwill gesture for me. I appreciate that....

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Rear bumper is off and repaired to smooth as glass again. They found a couple of additional areas on the bumper that were "not quite right" (could have been due to stress flexing all across the bumper when my wife hit the trailer hitch) so they fixed those as well at no additional charge. The entire bumper will be painted today, cured overnight, clearcoated tomorrow, cured again overnight, mounted and final buffing on Friday morning, then ready for pick-up by 10:00 am Friday. They are **** and meticulous and want to get it perfect at no extra cost to me. I appreciate that, my wife has another car to drive, so they can keep the S-Type as long as they need it as far as I'm concerned. All four back-up sensors have already been tested and work properly....

One tip to be aware of: Due to the inherent design of the rear bumper, it traps quite a bit of road dirt and grime underneath and behind it so when it's pulled after years of being on the road, it makes quite a mess. They got in there with rags and an air hose and cleaned out the cavity as much as possible. It's clear from talking with these guys that Jaguar bumpers are not their favorite designs to work on....

Last edited by Jon89; 05-19-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Update:

Rear bumper is off and repaired to smooth as glass again. They found a couple of additional areas on the bumper that were "not quite right" (could have been due to stress flexing all across the bumper when my wife hit the trailer hitch) so they fixed those as well at no additional charge. The entire bumper will be painted today, cured overnight, clearcoated tomorrow, cured again overnight, mounted and final buffing on Friday morning, then ready for pick-up by 10:00 am Friday. They are **** and meticulous and want to get it perfect at no extra cost to me. I appreciate that, my wife has another car to drive, so they can keep the S-Type as long as they need it as far as I'm concerned. All four back-up sensors have already been tested and work properly....

One tip to be aware of: Due to the inherent design of the rear bumper, it traps quite a bit of road dirt and grime underneath and behind it so when it's pulled after years of being on the road, it makes quite a mess. They got in there with rags and an air hose and cleaned out the cavity as much as possible. It's clear from talking with these guys that Jaguar bumpers are not their favorite designs to work on....
What's all this costing you if you don't mind me asking? Body work is SO expensive up here in the north...

Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

When the dust finally clears, I'll be writing a check for about $525 to $530. Having this plastic bumper "re-welded" and then re-painted this way costs about one-third of what a high-end conventional body shop would have charged to replace the damaged bumper with a new one and then do all the priming and painting required. Going this route was a no-brainer. I've used this same shop before and they do great work at a fraction of the cost of a regular body shop. When they can fix these damaged plastic bumpers to look brand-new like they do, it's just stupid to pay for a brand-new one. I'll use this Colors On Parade approach every time I can. Of course, if my wife will quit running into trailer hitches, I shouldn't have to use them at all....

Old 05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

Just got a phone call. The car is ready and the shop owner says our S-Type's rear bumper is now absolutely perfect all over. I won't be able to get there to pick it up until first thing in the morning. Looking forward to seeing it, and then jumping back on the A/C problem with the body shop who handled all of the front end repairs last year....

Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

Just got home from picking up the S-Type this morning. The rear bumper is indeed perfect. I can't recommend Colors On Parade highly enough. Lloyd, if you're checking in on this forum since I told you about it this morning, thanks again. Great work....

Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Glad that your very satisfied Jon!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Rick. Lloyd told me that there is now a Colors On Parade franchise in Charlotte, and that they do good work. So if Joyce backs into your wheelbarrow again or does any damage to the plastic front or rear bumpers, keep that in mind. Colors On Parade is definitely the way to go for these plastic component repairs. Far less expensive than a regular body shop and the results look perfect. Plus, once our bumper was done, Lloyd starting looking for other dings or blemishes to fix for me since he still had some of my paint left over. Took care of the blemish directly underneath the fuel filler lid that has been there since I bought the car (I had completely forgotten about it). No extra charge. He's great. I hope the Charlotte location will treat you the same way....

Last edited by Jon89; 05-21-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Jon, I appreciate your thinking of us here in Charlotte. I have built quite a rapport with LarryJ's. They have specialized in restorations and major modifications for many many years. Through the recession they have added mechanic shop, audio, tuning... you name it.

They have come down in my price for touch ups and resprays (2 so far) I wouldn't think of changing. I thinkj the booze helped. But if for some reason that changes I will look up Colors On Parade.