S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In dash navigation for 2001 Jaguar S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post In dash navigation for 2001 Jaguar S-Type

Hello everyone i was wondering which one of these 2 in dash GPS's would fit on my 01 Jag S-Type.

The XNV-770BT - http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666269888

or

The XNV-660BT - http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666269908

Are those good? or does anyone have any recommendations? and what would i need in order for the factory steering wheel controls to work with either of these?

I'm looking for something to fit like this ----

This is not my car, mine is tan leather.

Last edited by Elvis87; 02-03-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to know also, have you found any info yet

Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 AM

Just asked around locally here in San Diego, CA and some said they weren't sure the Sony would fit and some said it was a sure fit.

Can anyone help us here?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Any Double Din radio will fit, screen or no screen.

BUT... you have to modify that bottom piece underneath the radio a bit for clearance. It's easy.

Those cars are ford based audio wise, so they use the ford harnesses etc.

I can walk whoever wants through that one as well.

Take care,

George

Old 02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't want to lose the steering wheel radio controls. And this is a project I'll probably do later on down the road.

too much going on right now with the honey do list. But as soon as I get caught up I might do.

Thanks for the info,
Nick

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 01stype30
I don't want to lose the steering wheel radio controls. And this is a project I'll probably do later on down the road.

too much going on right now with the honey do list. But as soon as I get caught up I might do.

Thanks for the info,
Nick
Steering wheel controls are easy, as long as your factory stereo comes with a remote. Google PAC SWI-X

Take care,

George

Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by androulakis
Steering wheel controls are easy, as long as your factory stereo comes with a remote. Google PAC SWI-X

Take care,

George
How would i know if my stereo had a remote? i bought my Jag S-Type used and i didn't even know the stereo had a remote lol.

Will i run into any problems?

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvis87
How would i know if my stereo had a remote? i bought my Jag S-Type used and i didn't even know the stereo had a remote lol.

Will i run into any problems?

Thanks.
I'm sure what George was saying is " as long as the stereo "you get" has a remote input". When reading the specs on aftermarket head units, make sure the stereo has a remote or steering wheel control input..Then search for the PIE (brand) adapter. I've used PIE steering wheel control adapters and Aux input adapters.. Well made install parts...

Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get pioneer or kenwood. Sony is not good when it comes to nav headunits.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I'm sure what George was saying is " as long as the stereo "you get" has a remote input". When reading the specs on aftermarket head units, make sure the stereo has a remote or steering wheel control input..Then search for the PIE (brand) adapter. I've used PIE steering wheel control adapters and Aux input adapters.. Well made install parts...
Thanks Jeff.

I normally use PAC stuff. But yes, as long as the replacement stereo has an infrared remote it can be made to work with the Jaguar Steering controls. Certain brands (sony, alpine, kenwood, pioneer) have a wired remote control input, but everything comes with an IR remote these days.

I have a PAC-SWI-PS Wired controller in my S-Type right now, and I'm NOT happy. Apparently the resistance the Jaguar remote buttons put out changes depending on wether they are backlit or not (you add the resistance of the LED to the circuit). SO since you can only program the wired controller once, you get to program it to either work with the headlights on or off.

The PAC SWI-X is a universal learning remote control, and converts the steering buttons to infrared remote signals (you have to mount an IR LED in the car), BUT it can learn up to 20 commands, so since we have 6 buttons, you can program each button twice, once with the headlights on, once with them off. I did that in my X-Type, and it worked perfectly.

Supposedly the Autoleads one works fine wired with headlights on or off, BUT you have to order it from the UK and I've been lazy.

The whole audio system is going through a redesign in the Spring (or as soon as the weather is condusive to working in the garage).

I'm going to move my MB Quart components to the rear, Picked up a set of infinity Kappa Components for the front, and swapping out the JL 12Wv2 sub for an Eclipse titanium sub.

I'm also going to add a stiffening capacitor with a digital display, and finish my false floor / trunk panels (a year later).

I dont know whether I'm going to stick with my two soundstream amps or bring one of my beast old school ESX by Zed Audio amps I've held onto for years out to play.

Take care,

George

Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody know if there's a installation kit for the cassette side of the dash to install another tv or any type of radio or anything in the s type

Old 02-16-2011, 11:31 PM

Could anyone give me directions on how to install a double din navigation system on the 2001 jaguar s type? I was also told that this car needs a custom made "holdster" for the any aftermarket double din stereo? Is this true or are they just trying to get some money out of me? Thank you.

Last edited by Elvis87; 02-23-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:38 AM

Anyone?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM

Yea I would like to know also.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 AM

has any one found a perfect dash kit yet ?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM

Im being told the same thing. That i need a custom made dash kit. I want to install a double din but cant find any type of dash kit at all. I looked at the 2001 x type dash and it looks exactly the same so im thinking about buying it and if needed tweeking it to make it fit. Any ideas?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Norri
Norri: that kit is for the 2003 and up cars with the oddly shaped Jaguar stereo (also used in the 2001 and up X Type).

Originally Posted by shall
Im being told the same thing. That i need a custom made dash kit. I want to install a double din but cant find any type of dash kit at all. I looked at the 2001 x type dash and it looks exactly the same so im thinking about buying it and if needed tweeking it to make it fit. Any ideas?
@shall: Hello from another Akronite!

There isn't a dash kit for the 2000 to 2002 cars because you don't need one unless you are trying to install a half din radio. They have a box shaped Ford radio. Now a wire kit is another story....

Here is a picture grabbed off the web of a early S Type with an aftermarket double din radio.

And here is a picture of the factory unit. Notice how it is a separate box and not curved with the dash?

Now if the car has factory navigation like the picture above, that would probably be a PIA since you would need to get the factory cubbie to replace the screen.

If you want, PM me and maybe I could take a look at it and how difficult it would be to install. From the look though it should be easy...

Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by shall
Helooooooo! Trying to help here.....

Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Default to JOsworth

JOsworth, sorry my laptop **** out on me. I actually don't can't do it right now. I recently broke the shifter linkage which I found out was a common problem with these, and continued to drive it without fixing it. That caused the shifter its self completely snap off so the money that I was going to use to get the indash unit went towards buying a new shifter assembly. Thanks for the help though. I don't know what pm means or how to do it. I do still plan on getting the indash unit soon and am also going to install a pke push to start system also. Since you are in Akron also if you tell me what and how to pm I woud like to keep in touch with you. Thanks. Oh and everybody I figured out how and why the shifter linkages break on these cars and figured out a way to make sure it doesn't happen on yours or so it doesn't happen again for free. Let me know if you are interested.

Quick Reply: In dash navigation for 2001 Jaguar S-Type