In dash navigation for 2001 Jaguar S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,520 Likes on 3,931 Posts

The shifter is a known issue, with fix.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not talking about fixing it. Once it breaks you ither need to replace the shifter linkage piece or the whole shifter unit. Im talking about a way to make it so it won't break again. Instead of having a break release to where you have to put your foot on the break for some reason mine doesn't instead its just a button type thing where when you pull hard enough on the shifter it pushes the button in and allows you to shift. Its a horrible set up and I don't know why jaguar did it this way.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

They changed it just after your car was made and it's no longer a problem worth mentioning?

Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 AM

no need to be a dick jagv8. There are people who do own the ones from 99-2001 so if it doesnt concern you then there is no need to post an ignorant comment.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

As I pointed out, it's known, with a fix and actually covered here quite enough. No way can I be described as ignorant about this. You're not adding anything useful at all are you?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by shall
JOsworth, sorry my laptop **** out on me. I actually don't can't do it right now. I recently broke the shifter linkage which I found out was a common problem with these, and continued to drive it without fixing it. That caused the shifter its self completely snap off so the money that I was going to use to get the indash unit went towards buying a new shifter assembly. Thanks for the help though. I don't know what pm means or how to do it. I do still plan on getting the indash unit soon and am also going to install a pke push to start system also. Since you are in Akron also if you tell me what and how to pm I woud like to keep in touch with you. Thanks. Oh and everybody I figured out how and why the shifter linkages break on these cars and figured out a way to make sure it doesn't happen on yours or so it doesn't happen again for free. Let me know if you are interested.
Wow, this thread went south real quick.. I better get in my post before it gets locked or something...

@shall.. I see that you are still under the limit as a probationary member, so you don't have access to Private Messaging (PM) yet. Looks like one more post or so and you'll be there. So, once you can, you just click on the user ID in a post that you want to PM and the option will show up along with others. Just click on it and the site will take you from there. It is basically a way to e-mail between users here on the site.
Feel free, when you can, to PM me about some of the things you are looking to do. I feel I must strongly suggest that you don't install a remote or push button start on your car. The ignition and electrical systems on these cars are very complicated and sensitive to modification. Ask us about the user "bert" and his car jumping into "limp" mode. Yikes..

As for the linkage issue. I would recommend that you do a search here on the site regarding known issues with all years with shifter linkage. If you have an additional quick fix, by all means post it up as well, or add it to an existing thread on the topic. It becomes messy when these threads drift off topic and makes it hard for other users searching for information to find it.

Lastly, please be careful of the language used on the forum. I know that obscene words and direct name calling isn't smiled upon in this forum, and wholeheartedly agree with that policy. To be brutally honest with you, I tried to follow some of your comments regarding the linkage and really don't understand what your getting at. Sometimes, it is wise to slow down and spell things out clearly so we can understand and hopefully help. JagV8 may be short in his comments, but if you engage him politely, he can also be a huge resource of knowledge and will stick with a user totally through a problem or question. Geeze, look at his post count and "thank" count...

So, cool down, ease up, and enjoy this forum.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM

I am sorry jagv8 I was having a real bad day and I read your comment right in the middle of it. I wasn't talking about a fix but instead a way to make it so it wont break at all. I will post it on a thread where someone is asking about it with pictures on what to do.
@jOsworth you are right I really didn't explain that very good. I will post with pictures on what to do, where someone is asking questions about that problem. And I did some research and there are way to many electrical problems in this car so I definitely won't be installing a push button start. Thanks for the advice because that could have been bad.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, no worries!

I'm sure anything that'll help other than the official "don't park it on the autobox pawl (and if you do, don't heave and break the mechanism)" would be useful.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Good deal @shall...

You'll get the hang of us soon... I babble on and on and on.....

JagV8 will send you on a treasure hunt... (sorry, couldn't resist, mate)

Rick will show you how to do it with 1,000 pictures.... LOL

and the list goes on and on....

Hey, and look at that! You hit the magic number to be able to PM... So, I sent you one neighbor!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 AM

@jagv8. Yea I learned not to do that the hard way after I broke mine. Its a really poor design and I can't believe they haven't issued a recall for it.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

They effectively did but it was 2004 and you'd be out of time I reckon. 11 years is not excessively poor.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 PM

oh, I didn't know they did. How canI find out?