Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard Dials Colour

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dashboard Dials Colour

All,

I'm new to the Jaguar scene, and I must admit, I wish I had done it sooner.

My dad passed away just over a year ago and he always wanted one, but could never afford it. I promised him I would get one for him so here I am!!

I have a 2003, 4.2L V8, S-Type. My question is, can you change the colour of the dash, stereo, climate control, auto gear selector, and the electric window buttons? Basically, anything that glows green?

I love the dash, and how its set out, but the green is a bit too much for me and I have had to turn them down. I have changed dashboard colours before on previous cars, but I am unsure if the dials themselves are green, or the bulbs behind.

I wont be able to check for the forum for the next few days as I am working away, but I look forward to your replies

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Old 12-11-2016, 02:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Paul,

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to S-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 12-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I don't recall this being asked let alone answered before (at least in 7 years).

Possible, I suppose. Are you good with tools including soldering iron?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:17 AM

I'm not the best I must admit, but I thought they maybe bulbs, maybe T5's. The other panels I presume are soldered in with coloured caps that could be recoloured?

Does anyone one have any pictures of the back of the dials?

Old 12-11-2016, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Have you searched the forum on this topic? I've never seen this question either, but perhaps it's been covered deep in a thread I haven't read. Use advanced search to drill down as best you can.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:13 PM

Hi.

Yesbi have but no joy. I've been doing a little more research and I do believe the bulbs are just T5 twist bulbs. My main worry is if the dials themselves are green, it wouldn't matter what colour bulbs you put in, it would still be green.

i have noticed an American germ selling white dials. I'm going to contact them as they may have more info. If I find anything out,I will add it to this post for everyone

Old 12-14-2016, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

Can't you simply view the dash dials in daylight to determine their color? Or shine a flashlight/torch on them - pref one with white light.

If you have a lighted ring around your cigar lighter socket you can gently pry out the socket and view the bulb that lights that ring. It's all one assembly as I recall, but be gentle as it's easy to break the plastic.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Can't you simply view the dash dials in daylight to determine their color? Or shine a flashlight/torch on them - pref one with white light.

If you have a lighted ring around your cigar lighter socket you can gently pry out the socket and view the bulb that lights that ring. It's all one assembly as I recall, but be gentle as it's easy to break the plastic.
Hi,

during the day, the dials look white. I was wondering if they had a green cover on the rear, so when the light came through from the other side, they glowed green or if the bulbs had a cover on them to shine green.

Im scared to pry out the cigarette socket, but mine does have a green ring around it, so I pressume this is why that part is green.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Second thoughts:
I replaced the cigar lighter housing on my '01 S-Type. As I recall, the bulb was clear; the "illumination ring" had the coloring. So doubtful you could change color without some ingenuity.

That lighter housing was really not designed to be removed once it was installed. It recommend against prying it out.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Second thoughts:
I replaced the cigar lighter housing on my '01 S-Type. As I recall, the bulb was clear; the "illumination ring" had the coloring. So doubtful you could change color without some ingenuity.

That lighter housing was really not designed to be removed once it was installed. It recommend against prying it out.
thanks.

Still need to find out if the dials themselves are green on the rear, or the bulbs covered. Might go to a scrap yard and pull out the buttons for fog lights etc and see if I can separate them to find out

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-19-2016)