S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard help :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dashboard help :(

I've acquired some black interior from another S type that i'm going to be fitting to my 1999 S type. Just wondering if anyone has a diagram of the dashboard which shows which screws i need to remove to take the complete dashboard out and replace with the black one. Posted before to this forum but no replies.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

i have done several dash removal and refits , but generally for heater core swaps not cosmetics , you need to start by pulling the dash cluster , demister vent panal , piller covers , dropping the steering column , remove stereo , glove box , center console , kick panels , dash end covers , under panels . and vents . and any thing else in the way basically .
then it will expose all the wirers clips and screws necessary to remove the frame out ,
like the screws across the dash top below the windscreen . ones in front of the console .
and one in each corner by the door shut . there is a main harness plug set near the fuse box . but seriously i think your crazy to go in there unless you really have to , take the car to an upholstery guy and get the dash painted to match your new door cards . job done . it will save a lot of work and broken clips trust me. not to mention all the new rattles and squeaks that come free with dash refits , that will drive you nuts.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm sorry but I have to agree, removing the dash would be the most complex, finicky, frustrating, exhausting, and ultimately unsatisfying job anyone could ever contemplate. Things will break, parts will get lost or forgotten, you'll have to do most of the work lying on your back reaching up with things dropped on your face, you won't be able to reach things, and chaos will ensue.

You have been warned.

Note: I helped my nephew replace a heater core in a VW Passat and all we had to do was loosen it and move it back 6 inches. There was a youtube video that showed the operation, we have years of wrenching on many type of cars, made check-lists of steps and outcomes. It didn't turn out as expected. We broke things, had great difficulty moving the dash back into place, and we ultimately nearly failed (a cable connected the ignition lock on the steering column to the gear shifter, it wasn't described in any of the information we viewed (maybe a US "feature"), it ran along the transmission hump behind the center stack attached to the bottom of the dash, we didn't know it was there, couldn't see it, and it caught on the bottom of the center stack when we tried to push the dash into place...).

==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 07-09-2016, 03:26 PM

Well.. Stated at 11:15am by removing the dash out the donor car, removing the dash out of mine and then putting the black dash from the donor car into mine, Finished at 8pm so total 9 hours which isn't bad going and it looks amazing! Didn't have any need to remove the whole dash, Just the carcus of the dash and that was it really. Not as bad as people make out?!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Nice , not hard for some people , extremely hard for others .
You obveastly have a flexy spine , a strong wrist and are handy with a screw driver !
Any way well done , you achieved your goal . And your right it looks great .
Only 8 more Bolts and the frame would have been out for the heater core .
I sure hope for your sake it doesn't leak any time soon . No rattles I hope ?

Old 07-10-2016, 11:17 AM

Wasn't too bad of a job at all, no rattles and no left over screws. Now typically the header tank bottle has decided to leak!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:57 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Bravo! Seems like you have successfully tackled one of most frustrating jobs.
Good one.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 07-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks great! Nice job.