S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DCCV Deconstructed & different views on failure of value and controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 03:18 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
so I’m revisiting this post I was a part of sometime ago because I was still having periodic problems with my air-conditioned car getting nothing but heat after driving for a while. If i shut it down came back sometime later, the air-conditioning would be perfect. No heat like before. But then after driving, for a bit id get the same problem- super hot heat on both sides.

I didn’t think it could be my climate control module because ccm had those resettable fuses installed by Jaguarclimatecontrol.com. Well, i think those resettable fuses gave me a false sense of security. I think.

I went through the whole system again earlier today and measured all sorts of values and made sure my voltages, currents and resistance values were correct and they appeared to be just fine.

I was worried because when I started having this problem, I replaced my DCCV. But I had installed a cheap $30 DCCV despite all the warnings about potential failures if I don’t get the OEM Bosch valve.

well, I went out and I measured the resistance of the solenoid coils in the DCCV and they were right on the money at 16 ohms apiece and 32ohms through both coils in series measured at the climate control module connector. I even measured the same value when I went to the FC4 chassis harness connector on the side of the instrument panel by the drivers door ( left side.)

I had correct system voltage at the center terminal on the valve so there’s only one more failure point that could’ve been causing my periodic heat. That’s inside the climate control module.

I said earlier that the low side switch inside the climate control module is extremely stout and I still believe it is. It has a 2000 V ESD protection. Overcurrent protection short circuit protection, 30 amp max capability for short period of time. Also usually when something like that burns out it burns out forever and doesn’t repair itself, and my problem is definitely periodic and it takes a while for it to happen after you start the car up so that points to something that trips and then goes back in service-like a resettable fuse maybe?

so that only leaves those damn resettable fuses shown earlier in this post. when I went to pull the data sheets on those resettable fuses, I found out something interesting- they don’t sell that value anymore. The parts that I have were marked G0 or 60. Its hard to make out. I believe it’s G0.

Looking at the little fuse catalog for PTC resetable fuses shows that the smallest value they sell now is marked G2.5, which has a 2.5 amp nominal current rating with a trip current of 4.7A. and that made me wonder if G2 .5 means 2.5 amp hold current and a 4.7A trip current, what the hell does G0 mean? How can they have a resettable fuse that has a 0A hold current? I sent an email to Little fuse to ask them about the specs to my devices and when I get an email back I’ll let everybody know what they say.

But in the short term, I am going to remove those resettable fuses and just jumper the burned out traces with a wire straight from the low side, switch straight to the connector pens and call it a day.

still interesting that nobody has found the reason for these traces to be burning up the way they are. I’m just going to assume that the traces on the climate control Module are just way under size for the potential current that can flow the resistance of the solenoid coils is between 13 and 20 ohms each, and as I said earlier, each of my coils appeared to be at 16 ohms individually or 32 ohms in series. So I’ve got about .85 A of current flowing, but if you quit resistance went down to 13 or even 10, you would get over one amp. Up to possibly 1.4 A at 10 ohms coil resistance

i’ll let y’all know what I find. Hopefully jumping straight to the low size switch fix my problems and if I hear back from Little fuse, I’ll let everybody know what a G0 resettable fuse trips at

The second the last column shows the part markings and you can see it starts at G2.5. so what is a G0?

Being a complete numpty when it comes to electronics I can't help answering your question.

But are you considering adding a 1A fuse into this jumperline to protect the PCBA?
I have done this about a year ago because it has a burned track, still going strong.

The following 2 users liked this post by Han-S:
knares (04-09-2024), kr98664 (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,039 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
I was worried because when I started having this problem, I replaced my DCCV. But I had installed a cheap $30 DCCV despite all the warnings about potential failures if I don’t get the OEM Bosch valve.

well, I went out and I measured the resistance of the solenoid coils in the DCCV and they were right on the money at 16 ohms apiece and 32ohms through both coils in series measured at the climate control module connector. I even measured the same value when I went to the FC4 chassis harness connector on the side of the instrument panel by the drivers door ( left side.)
Just thinking out loud. Before installing the Fling Dung brand DCCV, did you have the same exact symptoms? Full uncommanded heat after some time in use, and then working normal again for a little while after inactivity, right? That certainly sounds like your resettable fuses are opening and closing in response to exceeding their current rating. Just wondering if the symptoms changed at all with the replacement DCCV.

One gotcha with resistance readings. Most likely those were recorded at ambient temperature. Did you ever try measuring resistance when the system was misbehaving? The wires inside a coil typically have only a thin varnish insulation. With heat, that varnish can break down and create a short circuit. Once everything cools, current flow returns to normal. Or even if nothing is shorting out, some conductors behave differently at elevated temperatures (such as the filament in an incandescent bulb, for an extreme example). And while measuring resistance is fine and dandy, whenever possible I like to take an amperage reading. That's what really matters. I'd be curious if you can get the system to fail again, and then take either a resistance or amperage (preferred) value through the DCCV coils while still warm.

FWIW, on my '02, I measured just under 15 ohms and 0.85 amps for each coil at room temperature:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...repair-251854/

The following 3 users liked this post by kr98664:
Don B (04-09-2024), S-Type Owner (04-09-2024), Wild Cat (04-27-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 04:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

2000 3.0 Stype question.is I have freezing cold air, but other the that regardless of what mode I am in it blows hot. Sometimes I can keep pushing buttons and I will get outside air that isn't hot. If I shut the car down when I start it again it, blows hot DCCV? I do have another mother board and when I bought the car there was a new DCCV in the trunk but made in China. What to do? Is the Chinese valve crap, or??

Last edited by Wild Cat; 04-16-2024 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

just run wires straight from the pin legs to the driver on the top of the board.

like the dude above said the tiny traces can’t handle serious current the drivers do. i’m doing one tommorow i’ll take pictures

Last edited by xalty; 04-17-2024 at 06:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xalty:
Aarcuda (04-19-2024), User 42324 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

https://ibb.co/n0J0gp6

zero brain cells required to do it the right way.

this one took out the aux pump driver (v8 only) which is right behind pin 5. that one is a little trickier to do

Old 04-19-2024, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Nice fix right there!
Thanks for the picture too.
That's an ECU repair? Not a RCCM or CCM repair?

Old 04-19-2024, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Han-S
Being a complete numpty when it comes to electronics I can't help answering your question.

But are you considering adding a 1A fuse into this jumperline to protect the PCBA?
I have done this about a year ago because it has a burned track, still going strong.
I honestly don’t believe a few fuses necessary. I looked up the specs on the chip that switches the signal to ground and it is very stout. It has short circuit protection, ESD protection, overload protection, etc. that chips not gonna fry.

I believe the trace is just undersized. we will find out The long-term reliability of my repair of a repair. But right now, the wire from the output pin of the chip straight to the connector terminal bypasses all traces in the PWB, and as of now seems to be working perfectly.

adding a fuse, we just give you something to have to go in to replace if you undersize it

Old 04-19-2024, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
https://ibb.co/n0J0gp6

zero brain cells required to do it the right way.

this one took out the aux pump driver (v8 only) which is right behind pin 5. that one is a little trickier to do
yup! that’s exactly what I did! And so far so good

Old 04-19-2024, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
Just thinking out loud. Before installing the Fling Dung brand DCCV, did you have the same exact symptoms? Full uncommanded heat after some time in use, and then working normal again for a little while after inactivity, right? That certainly sounds like your resettable fuses are opening and closing in response to exceeding their current rating. Just wondering if the symptoms changed at all with the replacement DCCV.

One gotcha with resistance readings. Most likely those were recorded at ambient temperature. Did you ever try measuring resistance when the system was misbehaving? The wires inside a coil typically have only a thin varnish insulation. With heat, that varnish can break down and create a short circuit. Once everything cools, current flow returns to normal. Or even if nothing is shorting out, some conductors behave differently at elevated temperatures (such as the filament in an incandescent bulb, for an extreme example). And while measuring resistance is fine and dandy, whenever possible I like to take an amperage reading. That's what really matters. I'd be curious if you can get the system to fail again, and then take either a resistance or amperage (preferred) value through the DCCV coils while still warm.

FWIW, on my '02, I measured just under 15 ohms and 0.85 amps for each coil at room temperature:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...repair-251854/
I replaced my original valve because of this problem. I would have cold air when I would first start the car but after driving for some period of time, depending on how hot it was outside and how hot the inside of my car was eventually I would be getting nothing but heat from both sides, so i replaced the valve with the cheap $30 valve and I had the same problem still so that pointed me into those resettable fuses.

I never tested it when it was hot. But it’s pretty obvious that whatever happens is correcting itself as it cools down which is what those fuses are meant to do and now that I have wires run directly from the IC to the connector pins it is no longer doing getting hot so I’m blaming those fuses

Old 04-19-2024, 08:43 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

hi, you guys are obviously well tuned in to this system and i know my query is of course here,
so, may i ask if you have any idea why my heater blower fan turns itself on after i turn the ignition off and lock the car, it keeps going until it flattens the battery.
i have perversely been told it is supposed to turn itself on but it is supposed to turn itself off, which it doesn't.
apart from that, it works fine
it didn't do this before i fixed the heater/cooler, all i did was follow the instructions as in an earlier post and change the valve with a cheap ebay one, could the valve be the problem

Last edited by knares; 04-19-2024 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Chinese DCCV used in my last repair already failed. Gets hung up and needs to be slapped with prybar to work again.

My other chinese valve works good except at WOT when the ac is clutched off and the water pump flow forces the valves open. Your mileage may vary with those 30 buck specials

Old 04-27-2024, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xalty
Chinese DCCV used in my last repair already failed. Gets hung up and needs to be slapped with prybar to work again.

My other chinese valve works good except at WOT when the ac is clutched off and the water pump flow forces the valves open. Your mileage may vary with those 30 buck specials
yikes. Thats what im using…….