S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead as a Dodo! Flooded trunk killed the ALL electrics

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead as a Dodo! Flooded trunk killed the ALL electrics

2.7D 2007:: This is a good one: My cat is comatose!

2 inches of water in the wheel well in the trunk [BIG storms!] meant no key activation for steering column solenoid, no starting of engine [rear lights on permanently and alarm sounding every time entered the car [mainly I suspect because the insertion of key not recognised even though mechanically the steering is unlocked].
All this happened at a rest stop on a long journey home. After 150 mi costly recovery (in middle of wild and wicked storm), dried out, battery good state but car is still dead... checked fuses -- not one blown - and the e-park brake module appears stuffed (at least it defaults to release/off).

So, wise and good fellow jag owners, please: how can I bring it back into life without bankrupting me... ideally identifying /replacing bad components along the way?
PS I disconnected and reconnected the battery, and now I have an additional alarm (not horn) sounding under the hood. Annoying neighbours big time with the alarms going off (they're nice, don't want to upset them).

Old 01-25-2024, 11:14 AM

UPDATE: after a bit more drying out:
Park Brake now works!
No car alarms... none at all
Lights, windows, Climate, radio, seats all working
Standard dashboard lights on
Only alert: says "Steering Locked".... no sign/sound of steering solenoid actuation AND mechanically I can turn the wheels from one lock to the other....

Old 01-25-2024, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,033 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Madchester
PS I disconnected and reconnected the battery, and now I have an additional alarm (not horn) sounding under the hood...
Maybe this?:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...02-how-189612/

Most of those details cover the early models, but believe the later models are similar.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:57 AM

Thanks Karl, the link explained what the 'secondary'/different sounding alarm was.
As the alarm systems functioned [even the red led], investigation is narrowing to the steering column solenoid - if not actuated then the alarm system is not disabled and it will go off (which it does). The key is not being 'recognised as inserted.... not mechanical, so under scrutiny it is the circuit that the sensor is on (rather than the actual physical lock mechanism). I noted F19 covers the steering column position motor, but not the ignition lock itself.... does anyone know which fuse/circuit I need to check out?

Old 01-26-2024, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,033 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Madchester
The key is not being 'recognised as inserted.... not mechanical, so under scrutiny it is the circuit that the sensor is on (rather than the actual physical lock mechanism)...
Hmm, this is getting interesting. From what I understand, there are two aspects to recognizing the key as being inserted. Not sure which one is at fault. Take a look at the wiring diagrams at the top of this page (2006 covers later models, too):

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Scroll down to figure 12.3 for the security system. The key interface is at the upper left.

1) There's a mechanical "key-in" switch within the ignition switch assembly. I believe this switch is actuated by the little shutter that closes the opening when the key is removed. Don't quote me on that, as there may be something else that needs to see the key fully inserted.

2) There's a wireless electronic signal (RF?) between the key and the adjacent Passive Anti Theft System (PATS) transceiver. The key has a little electronic pill that communicates with the transceiver. I'm not sure if you'd get your exact fault message if this required handshake signal was missing.

For the mechanical switch, check fuse F3 in the rear fuse panel near the battery. For the PATS transceiver, check fuse F24 in the primary junction box. This is a small panel inside the cabin, just outboard of the UK driver's feet. I had my car for several years before even realizing this panel existed.