S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead in the water

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, I'll give the ingition attention in the morning. The part that's still puzzling is that there's no courtesy lights and I would have thought the emergency flashers would 've worked. How do you test the switches on the transmission (if I can identify them) if the ignition cleansing fails? Again, thanks for all the leads.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 PM

I tried contact cleaner in ignition, tried all three of the keys that came with the car. There was no change. turned the keys until my wrist fell off.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

If I wanted to DIY this I'd start with the electrical guide (from JTIS) and study what is powered when/how then work through things step by step. I don't know a way to do it via a web browser........

Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 PM

I tried to get electrical guide from JTIS but nothing there, blank screen. How do I get into my member control panel to add car info? I'm a computer 101 guy; barely. I have a 2000 s-type, v6, 144k and the only thing that works are the power seats and the radio, with the sunroof and windows open; nice for those starrie nights when I was 18 but it's been raining here for weeks and I'm trying to work between showers; sometimes under the tarp with a flashlight. Battery's good, belts good, altenator was doing it's job, just stalled - no doubt electron flow interruptus somewhere. Ignition does turn on airbag idiot light on dash and when turned to start position I hear a click in center of dash. Can't get at ignition wiring to check for power. Unsure where power feed even comes from; or goes because I can't see up in there. I'v worked on many a car but this ones got me stumped....

Old 09-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

User CP is top left menu item on each page here.

Elec g. is a PDF so looks like you either have no PDF reader or a bad setting. You can navigate to it - on Windoze yours is somewhere like jtis\data\x2001999.25en\x2001999.25en.pdf

I'm not on Windoze so you may have to hunt a bit to find it.

Probably still on Jaguar parts and Land rover parts new used and remanufactured (under Reference) as well and Gus's site.

Last edited by JagV8; 09-24-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM

Latest, couldn't do anything for two days due to rain. This afternoon i started checking each fuse and found the 5 amp for the dsc blown (the dsc message was on before the car died - another issue I need to address). The 2nd fuse I found blown wa sthe ten amp for the generic electronic module, number 20 in the box. I swapped it out for a good one, the car started for a few seconds, died and a puff of smoke came out from the ignition. Can anyone walk me through getting at the ignition? I removed the panel below the steering column but there is a metal fram member that looks like it runs behind the center consel.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal16
Can anyone walk me through getting at the ignition? I removed the panel below the steering column but there is a metal fram member that looks like it runs behind the center consel.
I'm sure there are similar posts out there. From what I have read it is pretty easy to access it from under the dash. Also, it would be a real good idea to get JTIS at this point. Hopefully someone who has done it before will chime in.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks Josworth, I tried to get JTIS, all I got was a blank screen

Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts
Old 09-27-2011, 07:35 PM

tried to to download the JTIS21 cd. three attempts, it would get to almost the end, stop and ask for a disc with volume (?) and no matter what my daughter and I tried it wouldn't go any further. Even did it with an 8GB stick with 7.9GB of free space. There is definately a short somewhere. I rennew the 10 amp fuse in the 20 slot of the passenger side fuse box (for the generic electrical module) and as soon as you turn the key the fuse blows; but now the car alarm goes off and I have to disconnect the battery to kill it. The wires around the ignition look fine but will inspect closer tomorrow. What's the little grill like item above the ignition? I was hoping I could at least put key to accessory so I can close the sunroof and windows but the fuse goes instantly.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar problem with our S-Type. Turned out to be the main chassis ground connection. The battery cable from the negative post had a good connection at the battery, but the connection to the sheet metal on the trunk not so good after 10 years. Cleaned it and is working great after this since over a year.

The chassis ground connection on the S-Type is not exactly the 'sturdiest' - I would have preferred a more substantial bolt (and material where it screws into).

Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member

Good tip! That's a possible failure point for sure - especially as quite a few cars have had damp/water in the trunk due to leaking seals.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:00 PM

checked battery ground, solid. very dry trunk. Have ignition out but I believe it's good. Number 20 fuse in pasenger footwell blown,(10 amp for generic electronic module, a/c, and instrument cluster). put new fuse in, reconnected ground to battery, radio comes on by itself (am 840), headlights came on (switch in off position and nothing changes that when I turn switch to different settings). footweel lights came on (door was open) trunk light came on (had trunk open). taillights were on too. Could not turn anything else on in the car, windows still down, sunroof open, could change radio to fm, could not turn on fan. Had to disconnect battery to make light go off. where is the GEM located in the car? As previously stated can not download JTIS or JTIS21 for some reason.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Did you have the key in the ignition (regardless of which position) when you reconnected the battery and/or fuse?

Did you get the elec guide from where I said it was (or elsewhere lol)? I'd start there.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Yesterday I had the key in the ignition while it was still in the car. When the fuse blew the alarm would go off. Today I had the inition removed completely when I wrote my previous post. I can't get the eletric guide to download. tried several times. if anyone out there has it for a 2000 s type 3.0 that can forward it to me it would be great. Thanks jagv8

Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

First you ned to fix your computer. Or borrow one. You won't fix the car until you fix the comp.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

OK, Sal16, I would do the following, in this order.

1) Get on E-Bay and search "Jaguar Service Manual". You will find many sellers listing the JTIS CD for cheap. Buy one from a seller with good feedback history. It will probably arrive quicker than you will figure out your download issue.

2) I'm not one to recommend throwing parts at something but in your case I would just buy a new ignition switch.. Not the part with the key, but the electrical part. They are supposedly cheap and a known failure point.

3) With the ignition switch out, and the battery disconnected, replace all the burned out fuses keeping a record of the ones burned out. Reconnect the battery without the ignition switch. See if any fuses blow.

4) If fuses blow without the ignition switch... Start tracing the circuits that blew and try to find the short that caused it.... If no fuses blow, move to the next step...

5) Again, disconnect the battery. Replace the ignition switch with the new one. With the key out, reattach the battery. See if any fuses blow..If none, then put the key in and turn stuff on.. If fuses blow with the new switch, start tracing down those circuits to find the short...

This is how I would approach the problem if that was my car.....

Old 10-26-2011, 07:59 PM

Jeff, thank you for your advise and sorry for not getting back; family emergency had me away for awhile. I had only the #20 fuse blown in passenger footwell ( a/c, instrument cluster, and something else). I disconnected inst. cluster, put new fuse in and it was good. I then began to replug the three plugs in the back of the cluster and when I plugged the middle plug in the unit started smoking and the fuse blew. This was yesterday so now I need to find new unit I guess. any suggestions?