S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Says New Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer Says New Tranny?

I have had a random problem with the car sending a multitude of warnings all at one time. DSC, Check Engine, Parking Brake, Gearbox Fault, ... others going by to fast for me to catch. The car would go into limp mode and most of the time if I shut the car off and waited about a minute; the warnings would clear and the car would drive normally. I could also have the car running in Park and the warnings could occur. I never noticed the tranny slipping or anything that would lead me to believe I had a tranny problem. I was thinking of an electrical short similar to the one I had previously related to the fuel rail injector (dealer's words - not mine). I took the car to the Jag dealer and they are saying new tranny. I have a warranty so I am not concerned about the price if that fixes the problem. I have read other tranny issues in the forum, but they all seem to indicate slippage, being stuck in a gear, or something that appears tranny related. I also don't see these people complaining about a boatload of other warning lights coming on. Do you think the dealer is justified in putting in a new tranny? The car just turned 56K miles and I don't drive it hard.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I'd say if they want to put in a new tranny at no cost to you, go for it.

If it doesn't cure the fault, you have a new box and they still need to find the fault sounds like win,win.

Last edited by Norri; 05-10-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling again!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The tranny doesn't seem like the issue based on what you've described, but I'm with norri. If they want to pop in a fresh one, let them do it, and see what happens.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Bertran, likely a weak battery. Psst...but let em figure that out after a new tranny (written with a devious giggle).

Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The word "tranny" makes me think of some weird things I've seen walking late at night in NYC.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member

Chris! LOL! Ditto.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Bertran, likely a weak battery. Psst...but let em figure that out after a new tranny (written with a devious giggle).
That was my first thought too.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

The Bertman have you contacted Dan Gerber in the Cleveland area?

Here is information again:

bert heres a name and number you might want to look up:

River Automotive Diagnostics Foreign Imports
1659 Falls St. (located in the flats)
Cleveland

216-298-4101

Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM

After searching the forum for weak battery, I am pretty convinced that is the problem. After buying the car, I never checked to see if the battery was original or not. My symptoms (and some a lot worse) appear to be pretty common when the battery goes. Why would the Jag dealer be that out-of-touch with understanding their own car? I believe I will let them change the transmission (notice I stopped saying tranny!) since they are known to have problems. This forum is great!!!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

They maybe just don't see enough of these cars!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
The word "tranny" makes me think of some weird things I've seen walking late at night in NYC.

Yup, a friend of mine stated exactly like you

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

RegentV12, presuming the pretty young lass posted in your avatar isn't a relative...do you think she'd be up to recieving an NO2 shot? Hee, hee, hee....

Old 05-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

bertrandgray, the Jag dealer may be aware the underlying issue is a weak battery but may rather take advantage of the $$$$ to be had on a warranty repair of you cars "tranny"? OMG! I just made an indicting statement of a Jaguar dealership?

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-11-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Regent V12, presuming the pretty young lass posted in your avatar isn't a relative...do you think she'd be up to receiving an NO2 shot? Hee, hee, hee....
Yes, I resoundingly do lol

I think we better switch to channel 9 , well I mean back to the course of this thread

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bertrandgray
After searching the forum for weak battery, I am pretty convinced that is the problem. After buying the car, I never checked to see if the battery was original or not. My symptoms (and some a lot worse) appear to be pretty common when the battery goes. Why would the Jag dealer be that out-of-touch with understanding their own car? I believe I will let them change the transmission (notice I stopped saying tranny!) since they are known to have problems. This forum is great!!!!!
Bert: What dealer are you seeing? Jaguar Westside or Jaguar Cleveland? I'm really dying to know.. Honestly, since it is warranty, I agree with the rest, let them drop in a new trans. And, just like the rest here, I don't think that is the issue. These ZF's are a PIA to service and costly... But heck, I took mine to over 70k without any service and to say I drove "enthusiastically" is an understatement... Heck, when the cat. converter went bad they had to have me drive it to make it jump into restricted performance since they were scared to get on it that hard and couldn't duplicate the fault... The ZF trans seems to be pretty darn tough, especially when bolted to a 3.0.

Again, I'm really dying to know what dealer you are using... Don't worry, it is OK to name them here...

Oh, and the reference that Rick posted up.... Write that down, Rick is an awesome guy who grew up in this area and still has connections..

Old 05-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Bert: What dealer are you seeing? Jaguar Westside or Jaguar Cleveland? I'm really dying to know.. Honestly, since it is warranty, I agree with the rest, let them drop in a new trans. And, just like the rest here, I don't think that is the issue. These ZF's are a PIA to service and costly... But heck, I took mine to over 70k without any service and to say I drove "enthusiastically" is an understatement... Heck, when the cat. converter went bad they had to have me drive it to make it jump into restricted performance since they were scared to get on it that hard and couldn't duplicate the fault... The ZF trans seems to be pretty darn tough, especially when bolted to a 3.0.

Again, I'm really dying to know what dealer you are using... Don't worry, it is OK to name them here...

Oh, and the reference that Rick posted up.... Write that down, Rick is an awesome guy who grew up in this area and still has connections..
For the record my 3.0 is @ 109k on the original lifeguard 6 and is perfectly fine. And I don't baby it either.

Take care,

George

Old 05-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
For the record my 3.0 is @ 109k on the original lifeguard 6 and is perfectly fine. And I don't baby it either.

Take care,

George
Yea...What I'm saying... Funny thing is the 300 has a Benz 5 speed. It doesn't have a bad rap like other Chryslers for eating transmissions, BUT, they are known to fail as well... It doesn't "lurch" like the ZF but also doesn't feel as solid either.. The good news, after launch the Hemi cars are slated to get a ZF 8 speed... Now that aught to be pretty sweet, lifeguard fluid or not!

(Ha Ha.... Think I like the ZF transmission??? Do Ya??)

I hope Bert gets back on here for a update...

Old 05-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me to, down town Santa Cruz this evening.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:44 AM

The car died on me in Youngstown, so it was taken to the Jag dealer in Warren. I wish I could have gotten it back to Cleveland. The warranty company (Ford) sent an inspector to the dealership to take a look before approving the repairs. The inspector, after driving the car, did not agree with their assessment and wanted them to re-test the car for battery and altenator failure. The service manager argued with the inspector and wanted both of them to go out again for a test drive. They took the car out and it failed leaving both of them stranded for about 2 hours until a tow truck got there. Upon arriving back at the dealership, they pulled the codes out of the car and one of them was an internal transmission fault. I have asked the service manager for a listing of the codes so I can post them here to get everyone's opinion. Maybe it is a transmission fault? I still have a hard time believing it, but stranger things have heppened. I will keep you updated.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

jagv8 is pretty good at listing and interpreting codes. He'll be here shortly.

Quick Reply: Dealer Says New Tranny?