S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Says New Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Got my baby back and she drives well. Shifting feel is a little different, but I assume that it is the gearbox learning me. I asked the dealer were they sure it was the tranny as opposed to the battery or alternator causing the problem. He said that the warranty inspector made them put in a new battery and a new alternator before approving the tranny. Only after the car failed again was the tranny authorized. So I have a new alternator, battery, and tranny. Total cost of dealer invoice $8,431.38 - having to pay just the $100 deductible - Priceless!!!!! My cat is back on the street.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Fantastic!!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Wow!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good for you , happy driving

Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

And let's not forget that when you come to sell the car, you can provide evidential proof that some very expensive parts have been replaced; making the car more saleable and fetch more money.
Leedsman.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM

Just when I thought this saga was over! The car went into limp mode again twice this morning with all of the previous symptoms. This time I took matters into my own hands and I think I might have found the TRUE problem. I went to a friend that has a small shop and asked him to test my battery (even though it was new). By chance, he asked me to take the battery out and carry it into the shop. While removing the negative lead, I found a crack in the ring terminal that mounts to the car. It was about 3/4 of the way through the metal. As I unscrewed it from the frame, it broke off. While I am not an electrical engineer, I am pretty sure bad things happen when you start messing with the ground of the car. I was able to get a new lead and install it. This might not seem like much for you guys that do major car work, but I was proud that I ran across this problem and fixed it myself. Even if it does not solve the problem, it was another one waiting to happen. I have driven the rest of the day and the problem has not repeated. If it turns out that a $50 cable solved the problem; the Jag dealer needs to be shot. But to be fair, that would be tough to catch and I did find it by accident.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I've got my fingers crossed for you.

I have to say that if it was cracked to the point of almost breaking they should have spotted it.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I hope that does turn out to be the cause! Bad connections can be a nightmare to find.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 AM

I've only one thing to say --
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leedsman.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Wow Bert... Good catch. I wouldn't be too concerned that the dealer probably knew better (or should have) that the trans didn't need to be replaced.. I would be concerned that when they replaced the battery they didn't see or fix the ground issue. So, given the fact that they did something as major as pulling and replacing the trans I would schedule an appointment with Jaguar Cleveland or a trusted independent that knows these cars and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb. No telling what may have been "done wrong" or missed. Better to spend a little for the insurance now.

Honestly, they should have (and probably did) known better that most crazy behavior on these cars is some sort of electrical issue before it is a mechanical failure. Not that mechanical things don't fail, just they should have found that first thing...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 AM

One thing I'd like to know -- this "dealer" being mentioned all the time; are they just a car vendor, or are they an ACCREDITED JAGUAR DEALER???
IF, and I say IF, they are accredited, then something smells to high heaven here. Didn't they change the battery themselves? So they were right on top of the cracked battery-post clamp!!!! And the ultimate indignity of the user, the customer himself, having to find this fault -- which may prove in time to be the reason for the original complaint outlined in your first posting. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
But let's not jump to conclusions; only time will tell. See how things are in a few months time. Let us know, then we can all make conclusions, accurate conclusions. The problem could well be one of those 'phantom' capacitors.
Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 06-01-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Addition, and spelling.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 PM

The dealer is Toyota Volvo Jaguar of Warren
3810 Youngstown Road S.E.
Warren, Ohio 44484

Old 06-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by bertrandgray
The dealer is Toyota Volvo Jaguar of Warren
3810 Youngstown Road S.E.
Warren, Ohio 44484
Yea, you did say who it was before.....

So, Leeds.... Here is one in the states that is on the Naughty list....

Bert: Is the car OK so far?

Based on the negligence of the above listed establishment... I really think you need to have someone go over your car to make sure they didn't "forget" to do something else....

Old 06-02-2011, 06:23 AM

The problem still exists. It happened again this morning. I am taking the car to the Solon Jag dealership tomorrow afternoon (per recommendation). I want them to keep the car until this issue is resolved. I had hoped the negative lead was the problem, but it appears that this car has many gremlins lurking in it. I am getting major grief at home from the wife about this car (she wanted me to get a Lexus). If the car continues on this path, it will be unloaded by the end of July. First Jag experience has not been favorable. I know it has been a combination of issues (car and dealerships) but it is sad that this will be the third Jag dealership for the same problem. Oh well, I have faith based on Jeff's experience with Solon Jag that they will be on top of it. I will be name dropping again. BTW, I did call Dan Gerber at River Automotive Diagnostics Foreign Imports and he isn't doing Jags anymore - only German cars; he referred me to Dean Cobb at West End Rover and Jag. Dean made it quite clear that he did not want to work with my warranty company (Ford). I am not looking to spend a large sum of money out of pocket when I purchased a good warranty. I will keep you informed. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Honestly..... Tell Mike (service manager) and Lucas (service writer) that they better take care of you.... My reputation is on the line... LOL... Just kidding.....

I'm sure they will take care of you.. And feel free to tell them all the great things I've said about them... And that I'll stop buy with donuts if they do you right... Look at it this way... You should be driving a LR2 as long as they haven't over booked...They will take their time and figure it out... Be sure to tell them about the damaged ground...all the errors and the real bad experience at other places...

I feel your frustration with the car at this point..But to be honest, just about any make can have tough to diagnose issues that will drive you nuts... I really loved mine when I had it, but my experience was pretty trouble free.. Some of that I attribute to making sure I maintained it... So, that said, my guess will be that once the bugs are out, you take care of it, and it will take care of you..

Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 AM

Bertrandgrey, I'm really sorry you are feeling so disappointed and probably frustrated as well; it's understandable you are now feeling like giving up on this Jaguar altogether.
May I make just one suggestion?
Find my posting and pix. on "Filter Capacitor" (I think it was Gen. Tech. Help), print it out inc. the pix., and give it to the auto-electrician who is actually fixing your car, I mean the man himself, not a manager etc. It will cost you nothing but a few minutes, and let's face it, you've had all the available brains in your locale and elesewhere, all the money that warranty could supply, and you are still at square one with the problem. Please keep us updated here as to what is found. FYI, one contributor to my posting "Filter Capacitor" did mention that according to JITS there are already filter capacitors fitted around the car, but without part numbers. If they are of the electrolytic type (likely), they degrade with time, and it could be they've all 'had it' and need replacing. These shouldn't cost more than around $20 each. A well-experienced modern (I stress 'modern') auto electrician should know about these things.
You will appreciate, I'm not giving up on your Jaguar yet, not by a long chalk....
Leedsman.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Find my posting and pix. on "Filter Capacitor" (I think it was Gen. Tech. Help), print it out inc. the pix., and give it to the auto-electrician who is actually fixing your car, I mean the man himself, not a manager etc.
In this case, a major consideration is that the car is under a good warranty and apparently a willing warranty inspector.

Therefore, it would be foolish to use a patch job that someone without a warranty might employ. This is not a judgment on the capacitor itself, only a caveat with respect to the fact that the warranty program will fix the problem without needing to change the design of the car.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Ok, the car is in the capable hands of Lucas at Solon Jaguar. He spent 20 minutes talking with me (more than anyone else ever has at a dealership) to gain insight on the problem. Fortunately, the previous owner had work done on the car there and they have all of its service history. Lucas believes, based on the car's history, that it may be a throttle body problem. If nothing else, Lucas was very empathetic and made me feel good about my Jag and that it would be fixed right this time. He is also going to email the codes to me so I can follow along. I will post them when received. +1 to Lucas on his customer skills. Fingers, toes, and other appendages crossed at this point. And the story continues ...

Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Good to hear... Like I said... They may have it a bit, but they should take care of it...

What did they give you to drive while they had it?? Just curious, not that it really matters... LOL

Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM

I didn't get a car. I have my reliable Ford Taurus for such occasions.

BTW - The look on Lucas' face when I told him the previous dealer put in a new transmission was priceless. Wish I had a camera!!!

Last edited by bertrandgray; 06-03-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Dealer Says New Tranny?