S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Says New Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

As we cross the 5 week barrier of the car being at the dealership (this time), here is the latest news:

Lucas believes that the problem may be the brake pressure switch. They replaced it on Friday and have been driving the car with no codes or failures. They are still a little paranoid and want to continue test driving to be sure. I am not sure how thoroughly they tested the harness that I mentioned earlier, but evidently it passed - even with the removed remote starting wiring. At this point, I am still in wait-and-see mode.

Keep watching the skies ...

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Sure hope that repair turns out to be the magic fix for you. If not, I wouldn't blame you one iota if you decide you're done with the vehicle. We all have our point of no return, it just varies from person to person....

Last edited by Jon89; 07-11-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

From BertrandGreys' "Top ten things..." posting and my reply:--

1) Loose relays -- needed pushing in.
2) Brake switch/brake sensor fault conflicting with cruise control.
3) ABS unit fault.
4) Dirty mass airflow sensor.
5) Almost any plug/socket combo having subtle intermittent connexion. (They look clean when inspected). One case about replacement with gold-plated plug/sockets instead of tin. (As with computers).
6) Blown fuse for intercooler. Fuse #12 at 15A. Shows up in mountainous terrain.
7) Crack in bellows section, duct from air filter to throttle body.

I've not edited these in any way, I'm just presenting them "as is". Maybe you could print this and hand it to the appropriate mechanic?"

End quote:

So it looks like you must have handed them the print-out then, as it seems #2 on my list is the latest suspect? Hope this is finally, finally, finally the one!
I'm now waiting with baited breath for your next posting, BertrandGrey!
Leedsman.

The following users liked this post:
bertrandgray (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Epilogue:

After giving Leedsman's list to the dealer and "nudging" them to go through it after they were stumped; it turned out to be a combination ABS unit and brake pressure switch that was causing the problem. Thanks Leedsman +1 on your troubleshooting list!!! I do not know what would have happened if I had not been a member of this forum and gotten the great advice and support from its members. Additional thanks to Mr. Osworth for his recommendations, insight, and support. Thanks to all other members who read my rants and endured my sarcasm.

Now I am left with the decision about what to do with the car. As the car rolled out of the dealership garage - all nice and shiny - I was reminded of why I bought the car in the first place and I fell in love all over again. It looked the same way it did on the showroom floor when I bought it (but why not, it hasn't been on the road much in the 6+ months I have owned it!). Let me leave emotion out and put on my Mr. Spock hat and look at this analytically. I have owned the car approximately 217 days and it has been in the shop 66 days. If I add the days the car wasn't functioning before I could get it to the shop; it takes the number to about 70 days. The following items have been replaced on the car:

4 Wires Replaced in the harness
3 Relays
1 ABS Unit
1 Brake Pressure Switch
1 Throttle Body
1 Engine Computer
1 Battery
1 Battery Cable
1 Alternator
1 Gas Pedal
1 Injector Rail Connector
1 Window Regulator and Motor
1 Transmission

And a partridge in a pear tree!!! - Sorry, I got carried away for the moment.

My wife and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum about the car. She says dump it since it is now working and has the remainder of the warranty that will make it attractive to another buyer. I am pondering the idea that MAYBE the majority of the gremlins are out of this car and the distribution of problems were just front-loaded. The total parts and service invested in this car up to this point is staggering to me! Lets recap. Original purchase price $10,900 - Total of all repairs $13,688 - Total out-of-pocket $412. I have never owned any car with numbers like that. I have owned new and used BMWs, Porsches, Corvettes, and a variety of others, but this is scary!
Sorry for the rant my friends, but I am going to be burning the midnight oil to figure out what to do with this thing. Once again, thanks for all of your support!

Last edited by bertrandgray; 07-15-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I have to side with your wife. I would boot the car out of the garage while it is functioning normally....

My wife had a 2000 Lexus RX300 AWD SUV that was absolutely the worst vehicle from a problem standpoint that I've owned in more than 40 years of driving. That pig needed more than $9,000 worth of warranty work for the many known problems the 1999 and 2000 RX300s had (including a new transmission at less than 50,000 miles). Fortunately for me, every single one of the required fixes was covered by the factory warranty on the vehicle over a nearly three-year span. Once I finally had all known issues resolved, I sold the vehicle with full disclosure and all service and warranty records to the first couple that rang our doorbell. I never looked back and was delighted to see that RX300 gone. Sounds like your 2004 S-Type may be in the same category. I'd make hay while the sun shines if I were you....

Keep us posted....

Last edited by Jon89; 07-15-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Whereas I'd keep it.

It's great to hear it's fixed. Well done all who helped.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,610 Likes on 8,300 Posts

I say keep it, you seem to have "fallen in love" with it, why not enjoy it while you've got it running right.
It still has a warranty and $400+ out of pocket for what has been done is peanuts...
Maybe once your wife gets back in it, she'll change her mind.
Happy motoring

Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I'd keep it too, but it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Fingers crossed that they have got to the root of the problem.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Post epilog:--

Let's look at, examine what's happened here:
This english guy (me) living thousands of miles away has helped someone with his Jaguar problems via this website. How did this guy do it? He simply "Googled" the problem and made a list of real-life causes of that Jaguar problem. Something a 12 year old boy could have done, if you think about it. (Or a girl, come to that).
An expensive autobox was replaced, it appears, because a local micro's errorcode system said so. It was not the cause of the fault, and was unnecessary for fixing that fault.
In one of my postings, I said I would not be deterred by criticism from anyone on this website in helping BertrandGrey with his problem. BertrandGrey says his problem is fixed now -- so, allow me the satisfaction of saying -- "I told you so".
In regard of the car, I do not see the car as an unreliable motor; not a few cars have this kind of problem nowadays. the REAL problem here is not the motor at all. The REAL problem has been largely with the agency attempting to repair it. The word to describe them that springs to mind is "incompetency" and that's quite clear.
Other lessons can be learned here:--

Fault diagnosis.

1) Always go for the simple things first. That includes 'cheap' and/or easy.
You will not then have to kick yourself later for wasting hours of time and thousands of dollars going up blind alleys. Brains first, actions later.

2) DO NOT TRUST A MICRO'S ERRORCODE SYSTEM AS A DEFINITE DIAGNOSTIC.
Treat it as a "suggestion" rather than definitive. Errorcode systems can themselves be in error for a variety of reasons, the presence of glitches (meaning power spikes) on supply lines being a very obvious one -- hence proper filtering/glitch suppression of those supply lines being essential.
3) This one's for those people who don't have too much understanding of how modern cars work. For your own sake, choose your repairer as carefully as you would a lawyer. Before going to a new one unfamiliar to you, check them out REALLY well -- even if it means paying someone to do this. Remember, "Googling" costs you nothing, your repairer may be mentioned there. Could be good, could be bad.

Re. whether BertrandGrey should keep his car or sell it. I would run the car for a few weeks and see what happens, keeping a wary eye on EVERYTHING. If it passes this test (known as a "soaktest" in my circles) I would keep it. Nothing to lose, everything to gain by running it a few weeks. Having all this trouble distorts one's thinking, and a few weeks will allow a 'calming down' period to make a proper judgement in any case.
Leedsman.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Bert: Glad to see things were worked out. Interestingly enough, one of the few things that were replaced on my car as well were the ABS module and master cylinder. Your list is long but as we know from the saga, some of those were replaced by the knuckle heads in Warren....

I loved my car, and enjoyed every day in it, BUT... I would still be concerned with it. Yours has had very "non typical" issues. I would always be worried that there were other electrical issues waiting in the wings. Most people will have the occasional bug, but nothing like your saga. To be honest, and from experience, the techs at Jaguar Cleveland are far from incompetent, and the fact that it drove them nuts and was such a problem, would also be of great concern. See, the only time they had difficulty diagnosing a problem with me was when I caught it very early. See, they just wouldn't "beat" on my car hard enough to trigger the fault and log it... LOL.. I drove and Mike data logged and "bingo!" problem fixed.

I personally would sell it... My reason, I love cars and the Jag is a wonderful car, but the concern in the back of my head would prevent me from really enjoying it..

Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default DSC fault

This morning went to drop my son off for his summer job. Kind of damp and very humid with the car having moisture on it. Have been parking it outside (usually in the garage at night) the last few weeks in all this hot and humid weather. My DSC System Fault warning came up. Car did not go into limp mode and seemed to drive normally. After reading this thread, I am hoping this is all a bad dream and will wake up soon. But since that is not the case, will plug in the reader and see what comes up. Had trans replaced and battery is a year old. Will post which codes come up. At least I have a list I can focus on.....thanks Leedsman.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

The car has many modules - one is for DSC - but any normal ("generic") OBD tool will only read the PCM. So, don't expect any codes (unless you use the right tool).

Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Thanks for response. When you say modules, do you mean places to connect to to get readings with different type of code readers? I have an Actron Auto Scanner Plus model CP9180. It plugs into the universal adapter under the steering wheel and I was under the impression that plug in would give you all the info, I guess I am wrong and their are other locations to plug in. Sorry for being stupid here but thought that's how it worked with the one plug in area. It is showing no codes. Its my uncles and I borrowed it so will read the book on it and do some research on the web to find out.

What did happen is after it dried out yesterday, went to drive the car and everything seems ok. Thought give it a day and see what happens and as of right now, 3:12 pm today, not showing the fault. Should I panic?

Last edited by Amadauss; 07-28-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, you really could benefit from reading about OBD and reading JTIS

module: elecronic or computer module
(the M in PCM or ECM)

You can read most of them via the DLC (see JTIS - both explanations and elec diagrams) but only with the right tool.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Dump it on a trade-in for the XF. Use these troubles to work out a great deal.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:15 AM

I can just imagine what they would give me for the car. lol.
2 kids in college, not happening now. I need to better understand my code reader. Have the JTIS and use all data also. Plus, since that initial warning, nothing since.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what an interesting thread! Bertrandgray, sir, you have the patience of Job!

My thoughts are to keep the car. You have so much invested it would be a shame to give up now. If you have any more issues, maybe it would be best for your family to part with it. But, like you said, it would be difficult to, in good conscience, sell it outright to an unsuspecting buyer. Trading in would probably be better.

This is such a fabulous forum. You guys rock!

Patty, the newbie.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I would keep it. You now know that car in pretty good detail. I have found cars tend to have a "personality".

Example; My old 1993 SHO had a good bit of problems that I fixed and worked through. After a few repairs I could usually tell what was wrong.

With my 2005 STR I have had so few problems that outside of maintenance stuff I really have not been very deep into the car. Don't know it very well at all.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by PattyP
Wow, what an interesting thread! Bertrandgray, sir, you have the patience of Job!

My thoughts are to keep the car. You have so much invested it would be a shame to give up now. If you have any more issues, maybe it would be best for your family to part with it. But, like you said, it would be difficult to, in good conscience, sell it outright to an unsuspecting buyer. Trading in would probably be better.

This is such a fabulous forum. You guys rock!

Patty, the newbie.
Patty,

There's more to read!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...p-again-58086/