S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Decisions, Decisions

Alright gents, I am now at a crossroads of sorts in regards to my STR. I have had this fine automobile for over five years now, having purchased it during the recession for quite a steal. Anyways, I recently passed 100k on the odometer, and the car is in pretty good shape mechanically. The only work it needs at present (knock on wood) is fixing a leaking coolant hose (just occurred the other day, as of yet undiagnosed), and the replacement of one of the CATS struts and accompanying bushings (found to be slightly leaking at 100k service). As preventative maintenance, it would probably be beneficial to replace the other 16 various coolant lines in the car as I have already had two burst unexpectedly on me. The body is not in Concours condition, but it is not terrible either. A bumper respray and paint correction is likely all it would need from a cosmetic standpoint.

Now the crossroads I am at dictates what I believe are five possible options:

1. Keep the car
2. Sell the car, keep the cash
3. Keep the car and mod it
4. Sell the car, buy another STR or possibly XKR to mod
5. Sell the car, buy another non-Jag car
1. Keep the car in its current form, for the time being. As I am unsure how much longer I want to keep the car, I don’t want to put too much more money into the car than I have to. It is not giving me any trouble right now, so I am of the theory “don’t fix what isn’t broken.” When I originally bought the car, I had every intention of keeping the car forever. It was my first car, purchased with my own money as a college graduation present to myself. Now however, I am not so sure, especially given how many expensive proprietary electronics are in this car, and the frequency for coolant hoses bursting/leaking. I really want an XFR or an F-Type coupe, so I could keep the car as is for two more years, fixing the one leak, and pick up a nice 2012 facelifted XFR in 2016.

2. Sell the car now. My other theory is to sell while I am ahead. Given my mileage and condition, the car is worth $8-$10k right now, and it will only continue dropping as I put more miles on. I have about 10k miles to decide on this front before the price/mileage penalty begins increasing. The other factor driving this possibility is that my daily driver Buick just crossed 200k and I don’t really want to keep that car much longer (much more so than the Jag). It is a very comfortable competent car that has been very inexpensive to run, and has also largely paid for itself in mileage reimbursements from work, but it is damn boring to drive (although I do love the supercharged 3800). Nonetheless, I have consoled myself in the fact that it will likely be replaced at around 225k, or this time next year given my current driving habits for work and pleasure. I am looking at possibly going to an Infiniti FX35 given that it is the most car like CUV, has decent mileage, thicker rubber tires in 18” trim, and can be supercharged in the aftermarket. If I sell the Jag, after fixing the coolant leak, I can use the sale proceeds for a nice down payment on the FX35, and begin saving again for another Jag.

3. Keep the car and upgrade to parts that I really have wanted to exchange out for some time. Ever since I joined the forum, I have been watching in fascination the various mods that people have performed over the years. Now that I am at a point in life where I can splurge a little bit on my car, and I feel comfortable making the car non-stock, this really intrigues me. Ever since I installed my Borla exhaust, I can’t get enough of that lovely 4.2 exhaust note, especially downshifting through a tunnel. Anyways, the specific parts I had in mind include:

a. Replace the other 16 coolant hoses as outlined in Robinb’s post. I am getting really annoyed with having the hoses burst unexpectedly, and do not like the thought of possibly being stranded if it occurs at an inopportune time. Parts are only $750 on jagparts.com, so not too unreasonable. Figure another 10 hours for labor @ $150/hour and it totals $2,250. Not bad considering it has already cost me nearly $1,000 for the two hoses (mostly labor trying to diagnose where leaking hose is). To be honest, the car’s propensity for burst hoses is my fault as back in 2012 I drove the car up Pike’s Peak and then back to Minnesota through Denver rush hour traffic. Needless to say it got pretty warm, even with my regular pit stops to let the engine cool.
b. Next, since I need to replace one strut, might as well replace the other three. And if I am going through the hassle of replacing these, might as well replace them with the Spires tuned Eibach coilover kit that works with the CATS suspension programming (LINK). Quite spendy, but no less expensive than ordering and installing all new OEM parts, even with forum vendor discounts. In addition to some lowering I also get to keep CATS (which I for one actually like), which lead me away from looking at the KW coilover kit (
LINK"><span style=LINK" /> LINK">LINK
).

c. I also have two slightly bent rims. If I am keeping the car, I really want to go with the Forgestars that other members have been raving about. Although thanks to Docuzzie’s recent link, I can now readily find OEM rims as well.
d. Given the positive reviews given by members on this forum, I have also been really interested in installing the Quaife differential. I am very intrigued by open road racing, and believe this would be a very beneficial upgrade in that regard.
Given that these are very expensive upgrades, this leads to thought process #4.

4. Now, as I had mentioned above, my car has been around the block a few times and is not quite as young as it used to be. With that in mind, I am also of the thought that if I am going to go through the hassle and cost of upgrading, it might as well be on a younger mileage specimen. Additionally, I threw the XKR into the mix as that was what I had originally wanted when searching for the STR but the practical side of my brain said four doors. Obviously all of the mods for the STR are available for the XKR, plus there is the distinct possibility of an AVOS twin screw kit.

5. My last thought process, sadly takes me away from the Jaguar brand. As much as I really like the models offered, I also want to experience what the other marquees have available.

a. I could go more reliable to semi-reliable, and pursue the Lexus IS-F, Infiniti M56, or Hyundai Genesis R-Spec.
b. I could go equally to slightly less reliable and get the Audi S6 (C6 with V10), BMW M5 (E60 with V10), Mercedes-Benz CLS55/63, or the Cadillac CTS-V.
My dream garage has all of these cars in it, so that does not help matters whatsoever.

So there you have it. I really want to keep the STR, but at the same time I also need to be rational about my wants and needs. I am generally a very frugal person, which allowed me purchase the car in the first place and be able to maintain it since. However, I am working at living more today than in the future, so as much as it pains my frugal side to spend money, my pleasure side cannot get enough of the fun times I have had with the car, and would want to keep extending that natural high. That is why this decision process is so difficult, as the frugal part of me says that I should not worry about the car and the mods now, as I can look forward to getting those in the future once I have even more resources. On the other hand, fun side is saying that I will not be young and dumb forever, and will likely have other obligations as I get older preventing me from enjoying the freedom I now have.

You all have been great voices of reason to other members over the years, so I am open to your thoughts, comments, and criticisms.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 393 Posts

It appears to me you are taking a logical approach to your decision process.

I try to look at cars in the following:

Cost: Initial cost of the car, Depreciation, Monthly costs, cost to keep it running reliably.
Function: Reliable transportation requirement. Is the car a weekend driver or a play toy? Commuter?
Emotions: How much do I like the car versus other cars. Performance versus economy versus luxury?

I consider my jaguars to be weekend drivers and toys, rather than a "commuter car", so I tend to be willing to spend more time and money working on them.

100K miles is getting up there. It is probably less expensive overall to get all the things fixed on your STR, than purchasing a newer less depreciated car. Remember that if your car is paid off, you should allocate/save the same monthly car payment you were willing to spend each month, so when it is time to do some maintenance, you can see if you are ahead or behind financially. If you start having to put out more and more money to keep it running reliably, then it is usually time to purchase another car. Or sometimes you put so much money into it to get it running you have to keep it to get your money's worth.

Last edited by Tijoe; 04-04-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 04-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

You've obviously given this subject much thought, and you've presented us with a wide array of potential outcomes. Can you eliminate some of these potential outcomes yourself based upon your own preferences and tendencies? No one knows the complexities of your situation better than you do....

I've always been very frugal as well. I keep my vehicles as long as they have not become money pits to maintain and repair. But that threshold varies for each and every one of us (I consider unnecessary upgrades and performance mods as money pit bait, therefore I would not spend the time and cash to do them)....

Old 04-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Modifying any car is financial suicide..you never get back what you put into it and in fact can lose money , if I were to buy a modified car , I would actually offer a price that reflected the cost of "de modifying" it.
If you want a faster car , buy one , if you want a more luxurious car , buy one , if you want both , buy one

Old 04-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Here's what I think...

100K miles is plenty, and sounds like it's time for a change. You need to sell the car NOW before spending big bucks on things that have not yet failed. Take the money and get yourself another STR like one of these:

Cars for Sale: 2006 Jaguar S-TYPE R in Fayetteville, NC 28314: Sedan Details - 340000795 - AutoTrader.com

...after negotiating a better price!

...or this:

Cars for Sale: 2005 Jaguar S-TYPE R in Arlington, TX 76012: Sedan Details - 363850212 - AutoTrader.com

Last edited by Robinb; 04-05-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

It's a nice "problem" to have!

I wouldn't buy a lower mileage similar age car because it's not really higher mileage that kills cars. A low mileage car hasn't been run enough.

I think it'll cost a LOT more to sell and buy something else. If you have the cash and fancy doing it, then sure why not.

Just replacing stuff / preventative maintenance on your existing car to make it more reliable is what I see as the sensible - but arguably boring - way to go. It's probably good for 60-100K more miles, in fact beyond what we know really as they so far just go on and on. Something will kill it eventually, heck could be an idiot crashing into you

If I wanted to race around I'd pay for track days and not with my own car. Quite costly per day but not much overall.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

STRs lasting for 200K miles? I am the owner of 2 STRs where the engines died. One at 78K miles, the second, my latest acquisition, the owner exploded the engine at 117K miles. (Both claimed to do regular preventive maintenance, and take care of the car.) My original S-type 4.0 conversion project lost it engine at 95K due to the old style timing chain tensioner breaking.

I am sure that STR engines can last 200K miles, but that depends on many factors. Too many to make a blanket statement that his car may last another 60K to 100K miles.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member

I didn't make a blanket statement. I put "probably". That is my opinion.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What caused your motors to go?

Old 04-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you for the replies so far. Very good points to consider; I am no rush to move on this, more of a preemptive review on my part so I don't get blind sided later on.

As much as I like the thought of modding, I just don't think that it is in my nature. So those options are likely off the table for now (about 75% certain).

I am going to keep mulling over for the time being.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's probably good for 60-100K more miles, in fact beyond what we know really as they so far just go on and on...
The word "probably" implies more likely than not. I know of no STR's that have 200K on the click, but have heard of several that blew up before 100K.

Never mind upgrades - even at this moment, the O/P is facing maintenance and repair bills approaching 30% of the value of the car.

I agree with the O/P when he says "I am also of the thought that if I am going to go through the hassle and cost of upgrading, it might as well be on a younger mileage specimen".

Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Well, it's a judgment call. So would be buying another of roughly the same age with lower mileage but that way you're certain to spend extra. You're not certain of a car that lasts longer.

It's quite hard doing 200K on a car that's likely no more than 10 yrs old, here at least, as it's a performance car that doesn't and never did attract the high milers. Its fuel consumption doesn't help, either.

There have been appeals for high mileage S-Types (of any engine or year) and not many stepped up. That could be taken to mean all the 3.0's have blown their engines but I don't believe that's the answer with those engines just as it probably isn't for the STR. People mainly just haven't done large miles yet.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-05-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You evidently have given this a lot of thought. There are pros and cons to every decision. No matter which decision you make you will still spend money on the car. While a new car may not need repairs and if it does they will be covered under warranty, you will still have the loan payment. Also insurance on a newer car might be a little higher then what you pay now.

An advantage you have with your car is you know the history of the car since you've owned it. Buying another STR or any used car comes with the risk of poor upkeep and maintenance from previous owners. The advantage you have is that the previous owners might have been **** about the upkeep and maintenance of the car and you could get lucky!

I think it breaks down to what you feel comfortable spending your money on. Your existing car, new or a new to you car.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rodney Gold
What caused your motors to go?
The 04 STR at around 75K: I believe the engine overheated due to the infamous coolant line under the supercharger bursting on a road trip.

The 03 STR, with 117K, that I am presently working on: I couldn't get any information from the seller why the engine threw 4 rods, and spun two bearings. The body, interior and suspension are in excellent condition and the owner stated the car was properly serviced during its life.

Regarding the longevity of STR engines, I read somewhere that the life of the engine can be extended significantly by not running it hard until it is completely warmed up. (Don't accelerate at a rate that kicks in the supercharger)

Therefore, if you are purchasing a used STR, how can the new owner tell how hard the engine has been worked throughout its life.
Seems to be very driver dependent to me.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM

It's quite hard doing 200K on a car that's likely no more than 10 yrs old, here at least, as it's a performance car that doesn't and never did attract the high milers. Its fuel consumption doesn't help, either....
Good point.

But, as Staatsof said recently, a pig with lipstick is still a pig. There's no hiding the fact that the car has 100K on the clock, and the $$ spent on maintenance/repairs may keep the car on the road, but will not significantly affect its value.

I sense that the O/P loves the STR but would like to do some upgrades:
For an STR with 11K miles, a twin-screw S/C + Quaiffe sounds just perfect.
For an STR with 50K miles, a twin-screw S/C is well worth the risk.
For an STR with 100+K miles, a twin-screw S/C will probably turn out to be a short-term application of expensive lipstick.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

There is an old used car buyer's saying... "Don't buy someone else's problems." Just as you are considering selling due to troubles/issues/problems, so did whoever you buy your next used car from. Better the devil you know...

Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the overall knowledge of many of the members replying, but it sounds like you are ready to move away from the STR, but are wrestling with your love of Jaguars. I have owned a Cadillac CTS and a Lexus IS 300. I spent a bunch of times driving the CTS-V and the IS-F. In addition, I drove the XFR for hours while having my STR in for service. They are all fantastic cars!

Only from my perspective:

I wouldn't spend money on mods or too many repairs mainly because it sounds like you are ready to move on. For me, I would go for an XFR, but a close second would be the Cadillac CTS-V. That car is pure power and really fun to drive. These would serve as good weekend cars or commuters.

I think a lot of the mileage issue depends on how you drive, maintain the car, and whether your miles are highway or around town. My STR has 120K, but much is highway and I don't drive it hard. The engine is strong and I expect to reach 200K. Might be a dream, but I have a good record of taking cars to high miles even when others of those cars didn't reach those numbers.

I like the XFR 1st and then the CTS-V. Or best of all... own them all three. Reasonably, you have thought it through and are getting great advice from the veteran members.

I have several friends with M5's. They love them while driving, it is fast, but they all had so many problems that they didn't buy them again. I don't know much about the Mercedes or Infiniti models you are looking at. I almost bought a Boxter S. That was a fun car and I had access to one for a few days. Wasn't a good commuter, but fun none-the-less.

Have fun with it whatever you do.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you made up your mind, but buying another str is not a guarantee that you wouldn't put money into it. You already know what's wrong with your car, you don't know how the other person drove any car your planning on buying. For example, I drove a 93 Chevy 4x4 for 18 years and had almost 200k on the engine and transmission. Really didn't do much to the vehicle, change the oil regular and did the maintenance as required. Replaced fuel pump once and water pump once. It ran fine but when I gave it to a friend of mine, it took him 6 months to destroy the engine, he was really hard on the truck and haul more weight than it was design for. I seen it down to the frame and the tires were overloaded. I bought my Jaguar with 100k and I am sure I can get 200k plus. It's an 08, so it's seen some miles for being 5 yrs old at the time that I bought it. I have been replacing fluids and a couple of other things like a shifter, brakes and tires but I plan on keeping this car. I haft to agree with V8 here, you spend more money buying a different car than keeping your old one and fixing it.....it's paid for. Yes cars depreciate but the new ones depreciate quicker than one that's have already depreciate plus you have a car payment each month. I am just going to drive my Jag until the wheels fall off, if the engine goes, I can put a new engine in for 1400, that's just 3 car payments of an average car.....already found a new engine in the crate ready to go if that was to happen. I would just keep what you have. Maybe it's my age and I have been around the block a few times but I tend to keep things until they are worn out completely and not repairable. Heck, I still have a stereo system that I purchase in the 80's and it still sounds just as good as a new one and I can attach an iPod to it with no problems lol. Anyways do what you feel is best for you, I just gave you my opinion.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
There is an old used car buyer's saying... "Don't buy someone else's problems." Just as you are considering selling due to troubles/issues/problems, so did whoever you buy your next used car from. Better the devil you know...

That is so untrue. Granted many people do sell their care due to issues but not everyone. Some people sell their car to buy another car. I've sold my share of cares all for the reason of buying something else. None of my cars had problems they were extremely well cared for by me.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It's a nice "problem" to have!

I wouldn't buy a lower mileage similar age car because it's not really higher mileage that kills cars. A low mileage car hasn't been run enough.

I think it'll cost a LOT more to sell and buy something else. If you have the cash and fancy doing it, then sure why not.

Just replacing stuff / preventative maintenance on your existing car to make it more reliable is what I see as the sensible - but arguably boring - way to go. It's probably good for 60-100K more miles, in fact beyond what we know really as they so far just go on and on. Something will kill it eventually, heck could be an idiot crashing into you
Agreed - the car won't be worth much anyway and it makes more sense to spend your time and cash on maintaining a car that you enjoy and (more importantly) KNOW well enough to now that it has been looked after.