S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detail shop wrecked my STR............

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Detail shop wrecked my STR............

So i was in los angeles for 3 days this past weekend, i dropped my car to get detailed while i was on the west coast, and i arrived last night to find a broken driver light, banged up hood, whole front bumper cover cracked, feels like a bent wheel on driver side, scratched wheel on driver side, yellow marks all over, and wood inside my broken headlight. Not a great way to start off my day.

Seems the story goes one of the detail shops employees decided to go joy riding in my car, used 1/2 tank of gas, and drove over a hundred miles. Since i reset my computer everytime i fill up, i usually get 15-17 mpg around town on the computer, well i see it is at 8mpg, and it must have been a hard hundred miles. That and there is rubber all over the mufflers, and under the back.

I'm not very happy right now, at all. I did file unlawful use charges and warrants were issued this afternoon. Its a sad day today, i dont even want to drive it

Old 11-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prosecute the SOB to the full extent of the law, and sue the living daylights out of him and the shop that employed such a person!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 6,306 Likes on 5,494 Posts

Jeez, I'm sorry to hear that. What did the shop have to say?

It probably feels like it was stolen, let us know what happens.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy crap dude. I was already scared to leave my STR with mechanics or detailers.

I once lent my pickup to a guy that I should have been able to trust; to repay me, he first cleaned it with what I suppose was an oily rag that left swirl marks all over, and then went offroading and brought it back dirtier than I lent it. And this was a friend.

Now I remember why I do all of my own work. Sorry to hear about your misfortune bro. Hopefully justice will be served.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

here are some pics of just the exterior damage

Attached Thumbnails Detail shop wrecked my STR............-img00021.jpg   Detail shop wrecked my STR............-img00024.jpg   Detail shop wrecked my STR............-img00022.jpg   Detail shop wrecked my STR............-img00025.jpg   Detail shop wrecked my STR............-img00026.jpg  

Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

So sad to hear such a story phd! I'm so mad just sitting here typing this. Remember, its not the car's fault, she's in pain too. She may have been abused and defiled, but you still love her right? You're insurance may jump right in get it fixed, then proceed with suit after full documentation is secured.

Beth (my XK) sends her best wishes for a quick recovery.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Holy poop! Sue the snot out of the perp and the shop! It's just as much the shop's fault as the moron that did that. It is the shop owners responsibility to safeguard clients' vehicles. I remember helping out a family friend at his body shop. Al was the only one who would road test a car. Other than that, a client's car never left his property...

Hang in there and so sorry to hear about it. Keep us posted...

Old 11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jason, sorry to read this and see the pics. Its like getting defiled. I agree with everyone sue the **** out of the shop and don't forget Jon89 go for diminished value as well!!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,544 Likes on 8,278 Posts

This is beyond sickening. If it were me, I would be going after a 2010 XKR...on them...fully paid for.
Can you tell us what shop it was ? I live about 30 miles east of LA and don't want to get near them.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

shop is in philly, I was in l.a. over the weekend and monday.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Jason,

I'm very sorry to hear about that. Concur with filing civil charges at a minimum. I would recommend speaking with the District Attorney about criminal charges.

Mike

Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Excellent point Mike!!!!!!!

Would this be considered Grand Theft? Hmmm a felony charge then.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

grand theft isnt a case. He stole the vehicle and brought it back to the shop and acted like nothing happened. Unlawful use of a vehicle and property damage were the warrants issued today. The shop owner is 100% cooperative in all this, as he should be. There is more to the story but im at work still and ill post the whole story including the police report later tonight, im still sick to my stomach even looking at it. I know the pics dont look too bad, but driving it now feels different. uggggggggggggggg

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jason,
What a bummer - to say the least.

While I understand the emotions that go into suing, filing charges, etc., I can only imagine that it may be more trouble than it's worth. And the initial gratification you may have in taking these actions, the situation may quickly become 1> a time drain and 2> a pain in your tail. Chalk it up to bad luck.

It also sounds like the shop owner will work to "make things right" and probably has some form liability insurance to cover this type of event. Let the owner and/or his insurance company handle the employee - I suspect you've got better things to do:

So on the list of things to do:

1> Full diagnostic on the car including both a dry and wet compression check.

2> New tires, rim(s) and alignment.

3> Repair of all damage at a shop of your choosing,

4> Full detail (at another shop, of course),

5> Rental car coverage, and finally

4> A nice check to cover the diminution of value claim that you're entitled to.

Best of luck and again, sorry to hear of the situation.

Eric

Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Wow! That's awful!! I really feel for you. One thing else - he may well have been doing donuts and when (whiteSTR?) did that he blew his power steering (see his posts about it).

Er, make that two things - you need to replace the brake fluid / service the brakes, I'd say. And think about the abuse the diff may have suffered. That'll be three things, sorry. Better get a dealer to check for codes in all modules (they can do that if they're competent). My counting's rubbish today...

Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,351 Likes on 2,848 Posts

My sincere condolences as well. Follow Embassured's advice above. Stay calm, professional, logical, and as emotionally unattached as you can. Treat it as a valuable business transaction, stay focused and persistent, and things will work out your way. It will take some time, but you will eventually be rewarded. Best wishes and keep us posted....

Old 11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

He obviously hit something or someone (no other reason for the broken light and dent). Make sure that your car isn`t on a police report for hit and run. Cover your bases.

Let us know the full story and how this turns out. I would love to know...

Old 11-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get them SOB's
this happened to me while i was at a NTW ,they didnt wreck it though i actully saw them flooring it down a alley behind the NTW and i over hurd them saying hey man how fast did you get it up to ( i went off on managment )
they comped the bill for me
nothing compared to what happened to you. hope things get better for you.

Last edited by 03styper120k; 11-11-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

It so terrible to trust your property with someone who abuses that trust. I hope it all works out for you.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Police report direct quote:
On the above date and time I was dispatched to 925 Pusey St. for unlawful use of a motor vehicle. When i arrived I spoke with Edward Bradshaw the shop owner. He originally called to report a hit and run. Upon further investigation I discovered that one of the employees was supposed to take a customers vehicle a 2003 Jaguar S-Type from the side lot and put it in the garage. There was no evidence to support a hit and run.Another person advised the shop owner that there was plastic debris between 2nd and 3rd St. that matched the plastic from the vehicle in question. Also a damaged wooden barricade. There is wood debris insider the head light of the vehicle that matched the wooden barricade. The only person to have access to the vehicle was a Paul Freeman. With the evidence collected it is believed that Paul Freeman had taken the vehicle on a joy ride and hit one of the wooden barricades. I was advised that Mr. Bradshaw had left his shop on 11/08/2009 and the keys for the vehicle with Paul Freeman. I am requesting that this report be turned over to Detectives for further investigation.

Quick Reply: Detail shop wrecked my STR............