S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostics Are Good! DCCV looks good. Still no heat... Help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BugDoc
The only thing close is called a "In-Vehicle Temperature Sensor 82.20.03"

That sensor diagram looks like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
BTW: THIS IS NOT THE SENSOR YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IF YOU ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM I AM. (I'm not certain what it is, but it is not these sensors. Nor did I see it!)

Old 02-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Default Brutal (or anyone who knows) Help!

So I found the two climate control temp sensors on driver's side. They are really tucked in way up there on the wall of the center console up under the dash. This pic shows the two sensors.

If you click that thumbnail, it should open the full-size picture. (Once you know what you are looking for, you can see them through the crack between the kick panel and the steering column. But I could not reach them while looking through that crack!)

It is a backbreaker to get to them. You have to crawl on your back down on the floor between the brake and gas pedal and the seat. I put down some ramps I use to lift the car when I am underneath it. I could sit on them as I was sliding under the dash. That helped a little. Still the work space is very tight. If you are 125lb, I'm certain you will have a much better time of it than my 265lb frame did.

BRUTAL: I cannot even see the sensor on the passenger side. DO I have to remove the glove box insert to access it? Please help. I cannot seem to find any pics of that sensor on here. (I know it looks the same as these, but I can see it no where on that side.)

HELP!!!!

Last edited by BugDoc; 02-06-2011 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jkdahlman (12-05-2012)
Old 02-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Default Sensor Response Test

So I only have two of the three sensors out of the vehicle. (See the previuos message and help me find the third!)

Here is a pic of the two I have out.

They actually do not look too dirty for having been in there for nearly nine years. I'll clean them up a little with some MAF Sensor cleaner. I guess that should not hurt this sensor?!?!?!

While I am waiting for help finding the third one I decided to do some testing on the two sensors I have in hand. (I know you are all watching the SuperBowl... Look for my little Brother. He is on the half time stage crew. Let me know if you see him!)

So I read resistance across each of the sensor terminals. I took readings at 4 different temperatures: Under my arm for 5 minute (~100oF), at outdoor ambient temperature (60oF), inside the frig with digital thermo (36oF) and inside the freezer with digital thermo (0oF).

I've represented the data in the table below.

Both sensors seem to read pretty consistantly and agree with each other pretty closely. I am not certain exactly what they are supposed to read. But this looks much like I would have expected... readings either increasing or decreasing as the temp increases.

I really need to find the third sensor. It could be the problem sensor. Any help there?

Also, I would like to find the mixer door actuator. I would like to see it working (or not).

Help me out guys? You got me this far.... please don't leave me hanging! (I know you won't!)

Last edited by BugDoc; 02-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (02-07-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Bugdoc, you're simply doing an amazing job! Look at ya....shoe-horning your body into contortions; removing sensors, then checking and posting their resistance at various temperatures for all to see...simply an amazing and resourceful man you are. I haven't a clue of what resistance readings to expect but would have simply replaced them all at the moment of their removal. Just replace em and see what happens. The third sensor is on the passenger side behind-to the left of the glove box. I believe you must drop the box and search to your far left. Don't forget...we're proud of ya. You're the EXTERMINATOR!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree awsome job. I doubt both sensors would fail equally. I'm no expert but I would say those 2 sensors are good. Good luck with the passenger side sensor, hopefully you'll find the resistance readings on it are a lot different then the driverside so that you know that you have found the problem.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Default Thanks guys.

Someone posted this link earlier: http://jaguarclimatecontrol.com/diagnose/ (Maybe 01SType30)

It actually has some great pictures and I had forgotten about it when I was trying to find the passenger side sensor. I'll have to drop the glovebox to get to that one... May be next weekend before I have time. But now I know how and where to find it.

I still think it is the blender door actuator that is the problem and none of the pictures or discussion in that thread diagnose problems with it at all...

I guess I will find the actuators (I think there are also three of them) once I get the glovebox off. I may have to remove the center dash panel to get access to those. We'll see.

01SType30: I too find it hard to believe that both sensors could fail in exactly the same way. But once I have the third sensor, I'll have a little more info. If all three are the same, I guess I will buy one and compare the new sensor to the three older originals.

If anyone has the Jag specs on these sensors, I am very interested!

Thanks.

Last edited by BugDoc; 02-06-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 3,930 Posts

You know there's the evaporator sensor? (It's on the later cars like mine, I'm guessing also on the original cars.)

Unless they're in JTIS there may not be "specs" as I think a dealer would just plug in IDS and read the temperature right off the screen. Any sensor with a wacky reading would get replaced. Quick and easy.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

to access the pass side drop the heater duct out and its tucked up above it after you contortion under the dash to see it

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
You know there's the evaporator sensor? (It's on the later cars like mine, I'm guessing also on the original cars.)
Where does that one live on the 'late model S-types?" Is that the one above the ignition switch?

Unless they're in JTIS there may not be "specs" as I think a dealer would just plug in IDS and read the temperature right off the screen. Any sensor with a wacky reading would get replaced. Quick and easy.
I understand that. Jag Techs (like anyone) do not mind spending other people's money. But even Jag Techs DO NOT like spending their OWN money unnecessarily. I'm a lot like a Jag Tech in that regard!

There is a fine line between "wasting money" and "wasting time". (Time = Money) Once I feel like I have crossed over that line, I'll likely just replace the whole vehicle!

I am calling Dan @ the Nalley Jag Parts Counter now!

Last edited by BugDoc; 02-07-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I know that you have covered most of this but wanted to add it for the sensor and cleaning. http://www.jagrepair.com/AC2000SType30.htm

Last edited by Gus; 12-14-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

The evaporator sensor is in/on the evaporator housing, I understand.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

The evaporator sensor is in/on the evaporator housing, I understand.
Yes you are correct on my 2000 they are just a little hard to get to for me.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I know that you have covered most of this but wanted to add it for the sensor and cleaning. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairAC2000SType.htm
Thanks Gus! That link has some good info. I think most of it is in the link the 01SType30 gave above.

No one mentions the "Blend Door Actuator Motors". I just found out why. On the 00-02's this part is apparently sold as a "complete assmebly unit".

The unit includes: The entire assembly including the evaporator, blower motor, sensors, seals, control mondule, four blend door actuator motors, etc., etc... basically everything behind the temp panel and stereo system. The cost is $1030.

From that assembly, they do sell the recirculation blend door actuator motor seperately. It is only $16 and the Part number is XR857888. I don't think this is the blend door actuator I need though. This one seems to be working.

They do sell the "evaporative sensor" seperately. But they said there is only one of these in the vehicle, so this must be the sensor behind the grill above the ignition switch. They knew nothing of the sensors I am looking for... what does Jag call these three sensors?

That info is from Gaudin Jag Parts. I'm calling Nalley next.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Good troubleshooting!! I still would suspect the temperature sensor behind the grill above the ignition key. This was the problem on my 2003 Lincoln LS. It measured fine and looked OK but when I changed it for around $20 it fixed my heat issues.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Thanks Gus! That link has some good info. I think most of it is in the link the 01SType30 gave above.

No one mentions the "Blend Door Actuator Motors". I just found out why. On the 00-02's this part is apparently sold as a "complete assmebly unit".

The unit includes: The entire assembly including the evaporator, blower motor, sensors, seals, control mondule, four blend door actuator motors, etc., etc... basically everything behind the temp panel and stereo system. The cost is $1030.

From that assembly, they do sell the recirculation blend door actuator motor seperately. It is only $16 and the Part number is XR857888. I don't think this is the blend door actuator I need though. This one seems to be working.

They do sell the "evaporative sensor" seperately. But they said there is only one of these in the vehicle, so this must be the sensor behind the grill above the ignition switch. They knew nothing of the sensors I am looking for... what does Jag call these three sensors?

I am not an expert in this area just a user but when I had problems I came to this forum and had a lot of input from many. The one that stood out in front was Brutal at the time. I skimmed over your info and I can see many with good info to work with. Take your time do one thing at a time and do it right and it will come together. Then you will be the expert! Good luck!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

No, the evap sensor is...... the evap sensor...... and is on the evap unit

The one above the ignition is the in-car sensor and measures both temp and humidity.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM

It seems that the Jag Dealer Parts stores call this part the Evaporator Sensors

The part number for early 02s and down is XR853162. And the cost at Nalley is $72.25 EACH!!!!! That is after the 15% Forum discount. The other Jag place (Gaudin Jag) I called had them for $69.06.

So I am definately not replacing all three blindly!

I'll dig the third sensor out, test them all side-by-side... and then maybe go to Ford for their part prcie.

What do you think?

Last edited by BugDoc; 02-07-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Makes you wonder what they call the part that IS the evap sensor.

I guess it's likely the in-car part is available for the LS. Probably has a 3rd name, though!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Makes you wonder what they call the part that IS the evap sensor.

I guess it's likely the in-car part is available for the LS. Probably has a 3rd name, though!
I actually sent them the picture of the sensors to make certain we were talking about the same part. I could not believe the price. If someone finds them less expensively, please let me know. (Even though I do not think it is these sensors that are bad.)

Thanks.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Can't be me as the LS isn't even sold over here.

Quick Reply: Diagnostics Are Good! DCCV looks good. Still no heat... Help me out!