S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostics Are Good! DCCV looks good. Still no heat... Help me out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Good troubleshooting!! I still would suspect the temperature sensor behind the grill above the ignition key. This was the problem on my 2003 Lincoln LS. It measured fine and looked OK but when I changed it for around $20 it fixed my heat issues.
What is this part actually called in both Jaguar and Ford language? I cannot get the parts guys at either place to find this one in their parts list! I see it... I cleaned it with MAF Sensor cleaner a week or two ago...

But I would probably buy it.... IF the Jag parts guys could find it in their system.

It is not shown on the page that 01SType30 listed either... Got a name? Part number?

Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 3,930 Posts

Officially (from all the jag docs I have) it's the
in-car temperature sensor
(the hyphen is sometimes a space)
looks like that gets shortened to just
in car sensor

On early car, may be XR8 2140

Last edited by JagV8; 02-07-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Default Jack pot!!!!!

I just stumbled onto this site: www.oemonlineparts.com

and I have to say "JACK POT!!!!!!!!"

They have schematics and exploded disgrams so I can search for my own parts! (You can too!)

The parts I am interested in right now are on this page:

http://www.oemonlineparts.com/partlo...layCatalogid=0

Sorry for the long URL. I have not figured out how to embed hyperlinks on this forum yet.

Anyway, they have the sensor I showed in the picture above (part #10) for $14.08 each. That is more like it! I will order three. They also have the "Air temperature sensor" which I think JagV8 is calling the "In-car Temp Sensor" (part #12) for $17.84.

That website is going to save me a lot of money! I'll be ordering some parts this evening!

Last edited by BugDoc; 02-07-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like they use www.trademotion.com, as I think do
www.jpamporschejaguarparts.com
http://www.gaudinjaguarparts.com/par...?siteid=214626
www.jaguarpartscenter.com/partlocator/index.cfm

I'm puzzled by part #11 as it's name means it should be a sensor when as far as I can tell it's not (it's a tube with a cross-flow venturi thing on the far end, struggling to describe it sorry).

Prices are good.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The in car temperature sensor on the 2002.5 and newer include a humidty sensor. Pre-2002.5 cars only measured temperature. I don't know if that helps. I just read in this thread that the in car temperature sensor measures temp and humidty.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

01stype30, you are correct. 03 on "S"'s have a humidity sensor as well.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Looks like they use www.trademotion.com, as I think do
www.jpamporschejaguarparts.com
http://www.gaudinjaguarparts.com/par...?siteid=214626
www.jaguarpartscenter.com/partlocator/index.cfm

I'm puzzled by part #11 as it's name means it should be a sensor when as far as I can tell it's not (it's a tube with a cross-flow venturi thing on the far end, struggling to describe it sorry).

Prices are good.
JagV8: I was actually thinking about those two parts (#11 and #12) on the way home from work tonight. Both are described as "sensors". I cannot tell from the diagram if they actually have wire leads which come to them and where they go. I really wish we could find a good source for actual wiring diagrams. Have you seen that anywhere?

The part #11 is not that much money. When you say venturi, that makes me think it is essentially what gets air flow past #12 by creating suction with the normal cooling/heating airflow through the AC/Heater Assembly. Is that what you are meaning? Have you been into that part of the system previously?

If I understand correctly from talking with both parts guys today, all but one of the blender motors (actuators) are in that AC/Heater Assembly (#1) which comes at a price of over $1000. The only actuator that can be purchased seperately is the recirculation blender motor (#9). And that one is for certain working on my S.

But I am REALLY starting to wonder if these parts guys were looking at anything more than what we have on those pages. BOTH of them said that the vehicle "appears to only have one Evap Sensor" which is exactly what is shown in that diagram...

Certain the Jag Dealer Parts people have more.... don't they????? Also, where did they come up with those prices they were quoting me? I do not get it!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

#12= incar temp sensor, is really only used during AUTO hvac control and a seldom failed part
#10=evap temp sensor, this is the biggest failure for proper HVAC operation in both AC and heat
you also have 2 heater sensors. 1 on each side of the box to measure pass/driver heater core discharge temps.. Ill have to say they look just like the evap temp but IVe never paid attention on parts quotes if they have a diff number
#14=external temp sensor, front of the car
#13=solar sensor ontop of the dash..

like I said before I use Ids to monitor the temps as the climate control unit sees them.
on the names....I always ask for the "evap temp sensor" But I can tell you that Jaguar drives us nuts when in the workshop/wiring manuals they call a part 1 name, parts dept descriptions, and warranty booking call it something else....can you not call a part the same damn name from place to place....I meen how hard can it be

The following users liked this post:
BugDoc (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM

Looking at the JTIS, It looks like all the sensor except for the solar sensor appear to be thermistors. There are 5 thermistors and 1 solar. 1-in car 2-LH discharge 3-RH discharge 4-Evap sensor 5-ambient sensor. I wouldn't be surprised if they were interchangable. I don't Know but you should be able to tell when you find them. At least they are 2 pin sensors that will vary in resistance in responce to the temperature.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
#12= incar temp sensor, is really only used during AUTO hvac control and a seldom failed part
#10=evap temp sensor, this is the biggest failure for proper HVAC operation in both AC and heat
you also have 2 heater sensors. 1 on each side of the box to measure pass/driver heater core discharge temps.. Ill have to say they look just like the evap temp but IVe never paid attention on parts quotes if they have a diff number
Based on this, I am going to order 3x #10 and 1x #12 (just to be certain). #12 is not too much more money and I want to be done with this project!

QUESTION: Can #12 be replaced without removing the dash? It looks too larger to get out of the hole covered by the pop-out grill (#15). Please let me know. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Good luck keep us posted

Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by BugDoc
Based on this, I am going to order 3x #10 and 1x #12 (just to be certain). #12 is not too much more money and I want to be done with this project!

QUESTION: Can #12 be replaced without removing the dash? It looks too larger to get out of the hole covered by the pop-out grill (#15). Please let me know. Thanks!
Ide be lying if I said I remember, after all Ive changed 2 in 14 yrs. But from memory..........uh oh you have to access it from under the dash and I think also from pulling out the instrument pack facia. Most of what I do involves looking at stuff to remember or figure out how to remove by sight. Either way youll need to pull out the heater ducts on both sides for the other sensors to see and remove. maybe you can see what would work better. This might not me the easiest, but its better that trying to explain how to get the wood facia and I pack out...

Old 02-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 01stype30
The in car temperature sensor on the 2002.5 and newer include a humidty sensor. Pre-2002.5 cars only measured temperature. I don't know if that helps. I just read in this thread that the in car temperature sensor measures temp and humidty.
Ah. I didn't know that the original car was different.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

JagV8: I was actually thinking about those two parts (#11 and #12) on the way home from work tonight. Both are described as "sensors". I cannot tell from the diagram if they actually have wire leads which come to them and where they go.
In fairness, it would look awful if the wires were on the diagram, not least because then the whole harness would tend to be there, in all its variants.
I really wish we could find a good source for actual wiring diagrams. Have you seen that anywhere?
JTIS has them as PDFs. Online copies exist and URLs have been posted several times. Using Search with
electrical circuit diagram
or any such will get you the URL.
The part #11 is not that much money. When you say venturi, that makes me think it is essentially what gets air flow past #12 by creating suction with the normal cooling/heating airflow through the AC/Heater Assembly. Is that what you are meaning? Have you been into that part of the system previously?
I've not been in there (phew!) but there are multiple guides with drawings that I've read (mainly for my era car) and yes it's for suction.
The guides are mainly PDFs you can get from jag's TOPIx site. Cheap but not free.
Guides such as:
Jaguar S-TYPE Technical Guide Sports Sedan Introduction 122pp
Technical Guide Jaguar S-TYPE Sports Sedan Powertrain Introduction February 1999 68pp
and there's a Training one (TSBE/99) which covers the entire car, 332pp
plus various on the PCM which probably won't interest you.
(These are just about the original car, there are others for the later model years.)
If I understand correctly from talking with both parts guys today, all but one of the blender motors (actuators) are in that AC/Heater Assembly (#1) which comes at a price of over $1000. The only actuator that can be purchased seperately is the recirculation blender motor (#9). And that one is for certain working on my S.
I guess you could get the entire assembly fairly cheaply from a breaker (wrecker).
Certain the Jag Dealer Parts people have more.... don't they????? Also, where did they come up with those prices they were quoting me? I do not get it!
They have JEPC aka jag EPC. There's a recent thread about it and where to get it.

Last edited by JagV8; 02-08-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

this might help you with the blend doors and the part numbers for ech motor.

http://www.import-car.com/Article/73760/Tech_Tip_Q.aspx

Old 02-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

I love it! That's jag TSB JTB00066 except they reduced the quality of the images and failed to credit jaguar or give its original reference number!!

I suppose the part numbers might even be in the parts catalogue (catalog) which keeps being mentioned.....

Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by achysklic

Nice article, good find

Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 AM
mel
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dccv

Bugdog

I had a similar issue, chkd voltages, resistance, chk the temperature of the lines, and finally, it was directing to the dccv. Luckily i live in CA, and heat is not a major issue.I decided, i will not spend any money or my time trying to t/shoot.

One day i had to use the defrost button(one below AC switch) ALAS, heat started to come from all the vents.I reckon as you said the blend doors must be the culprit.
as a last resort while engine is running why dont you try this switch and see if you get heat. good luck buddy. My car is 2000s V8.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by achysklic

Thanks for the article. They only show 4 of the 5 actuators and the one I need is the fifth one. (That info is also for the 03' up models...)

Two are easy to find and shown in the picture I posted previously. I have marked them with blue arrows in that same thumbnail photo shown below.

I don't think either of these is the heat blend actuator though.

One test I did do to trouble shoot was to try to run heat and AC without those two sensors in place. If these sensors are bad, you will get zero AC. It seems the compressor cannot even kick on if these sensors are not functioning. Once I reconnected the sensors, the AC worked fine. (I think that tells me that these two sensors are actually functioning correctly.)

That's not the problem I am experiencing. I have AC but no heat. But I thought I would post the observation in the event it might help someone else down the road!

I still need to break into the other side, behind the glove box. I did not have time this weekend.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I will try the "Defrost switch" suggestion too.

Last edited by BugDoc; 02-13-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 PM

BTW: If you click that thumbnail image, it will open larger and you can read the part number on the actuators. They appear to be the same with the exception of the last two letters.

Quick Reply: Diagnostics Are Good! DCCV looks good. Still no heat... Help me out!