S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just brick my TCM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 02:46 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Did I just brick my TCM?

As the title implies. I think my TCM may be bricked. Now, while it actually wasn't my fault, IDS seemed to flake out, here is what happened.

I was reprogramming modules to add my newly retrofitted ACC system (still working on that, see my other thread if interested) and everything was going great. Programmed the cluster, perfect, ECM, perfect, the ACC module, perfect, ran the ACC calibration, again, perfect. However, still no working ACC. So I started to reprogram the VID block in the modules that carry it, all good, even did the ABS, again no issues. So, I got to the TCM. Now, I know my software is out of date in it and the version in my IDS is newer, so since I was at all this module updating, I went ahead and cleared/reflashed the TCM. This is where things went wrong. It started off slow (as usual) and seemed to clear the adaptations and then move on to programming. Everything was good, progress bar moving, so I just left it and went to do other things. I came back a few minutes later and it was still going, seemed all good. Suddenly, it stopped and said 'Communications lost with TCM'. I thought that's odd. So I tried to do it again and suddenly it can no longer communicate with the TCM. Every other module is just fine. So now the car starts, runs just fine but has a gearbox fault so it is stuck in just one gear (even took it for a small drive to see if that might clear things up) and I've got a P0610 meaning the TCM is missing the correct calibration. Seems that it managed to clear the TCM and start the reflash, but something went wrong and now the TCM has gone silent.

Before anyone asks, this is my setup for programming: IDS 118.5, a genuine VCM and a 55amp power supply. The voltage never dropped, IDS never froze, the VCM is working perfect (I've done some stuff with it since this happened yesterday) and I can program any other module I want with ease, so I am at a loss. I've tried everything I can think of and all I can dig up on here about possible solutions. I've taken the battery cables and touched them to discharge everything, restarted IDS, the computer, disconnected/reconnected the VCM and still no go. I know there is a rectification procedure for the ECM when things like this happen and in all the documents I have read it seems to suggest that there are other rectification procedures for various modules, but it doesn't actually say what those are and if they include the TCM.

So bottom line, any ideas/suggestions? Do I just have to bite the bullet and get another TCM and put it in (not fun but not hard). Kinda sucks since it seems something completely random just happened and it wasn't just me being stupid!

Old 04-16-2021, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

just to clarify. you changed the as-built VID block to add ACC, swapped multiple modules, flashed them as new and now your TCM stopped responding?

Last edited by xalty; 04-16-2021 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 426 Posts

I had that happen once when the laptop died mid programming. I was able to pull up a previous session where all modules were good. Re entered that session and was able to do the tcm program

Old 04-16-2021, 06:24 PM

xalty: I think I know what you're getting at but I didn't do any module swapping and random programming! I added an ACC module to the car (it's prewired for it), that's it. And I've been driving around for weeks with everything working just fine (except the ACC). Everything in the car has been there working fine for years. Also, after programming almost every other module, everything was fine. I've actually been driving the car after all this right up until the moment I tried to reflash the TCM. The TCM was completely fine up until the moment I flashed it and then something happened half way through. Again, it began the programming just fine and suddenly flaked out in the middle of it and now can't communicate with the VCM. So long story short, no module swapping and all programming done prior to this worked exactly as it should and the TCM was just fine. Only the fail during programming caused the problem. Based on the P0610 code, I figure clearly the TCM got cleared and the flash started, but never finished the new file install.

scottjh9: I also tried the previous session thing. Opened a session from a few days ago when everything was working, still nothing. Tried one from just before the TCM issues, nothing again.

I've even checked all the fuses just in case one blew, still nada! Open to any other ideas.

Also, if I do need to get another TCM, does it have to be a Jag specific one or would any ZF6hp26 TCM do (since this trans is in tones of cars) and then just flash it (which would hopefully work this time!)

Old 04-16-2021, 09:42 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Try flashing the ECM first - then try flashing the TCM as a "new" module.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:59 AM

Hey abonano, good idea, however I've already tried that! Still nothing. I'm beginning to think this is a new TCM situation.I may try disconnecting both battery leads and letting the car sit for a day or so to really drain any power from the system. I don't have high hopes, but it's worth a try.

Still open to suggestions. At this point, if it's already bricked, I can't brick it anymore! I'm starting to look for replacement TCM's.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:40 PM
Received 8,120 Likes on 4,901 Posts

Please say you saved the VID block before you changed anything?
There is a recovery procedure for the ECM but I can't tell you about the TCM?
I have the WDS and IDS VID block applications if you want them.

Just added a TECH-TIP from long ago about 32 bit recovery

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
418-00 Communications Network.pdf (237.4 KB, 192 views)
VID_Block_Manager_install.pdf (17.3 KB, 99 views)
VID_Block_Manager_usage.pdf (337.5 KB, 106 views)
33tl-04-2005_32bitRecovery.pdf (192.4 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by motorcarman; 04-17-2021 at 04:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
kr98664 (04-17-2021), WinterJag (04-17-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 02:07 PM

I did save the VID block before all this. It was the first thing I did, I read the VID block with IDS and saved the file. I knew something could go wrong! However, I do forget where exactly it saved to, but I know I did it. Now the VID block I saved was already modified for the phone and nav I added to the car (my old dealer did that years ago when they were helping me with something, they told me they added these to the VID block) so hopefully that isn't a problem. I'd love the IDS VID block applications, thanks for the offer. I have looked over the files you provided and it seems straight forward enough to do what I want to (maybe with some guidance!). If something was off in the VID block that I missed or messed up, would that have caused the sudden loss of communication in the middle of programming? I wouldn't think it would, but maybe it did?

If there isn't a recovery procedure for the TCM then I don't know if it can be saved at this point. Again, it seems the issue was some unknown fault during the flashing as all modules were communicating with each other and IDS just minutes prior to this happening and IDS was talking to the TCM and began the flash just fine.

In the end, I am looking at this simply like a learning experience. If I mess something up, well, call it tuition! And what I learn will be good for future projects.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:21 AM
Received 269 Likes on 205 Posts

Did you have a 25amp or above external 13.8v supply connected to the battery? (Jaguar recommend is 35amp!!)
This is needed as if the voltage drops when programming then the car will stop communicating with the software causing the exact issue you describe.

Do not try to do any more programming without this back up supply connected as it could well just fail again.

Mellow

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by WinterJag
I'd love the IDS VID block applications, thanks for the offer.
I have the .ZIP file on MY DRIVE for download.
Send me a PM and I will send an INVITE to the file.

joycesjag (04-23-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 02:26 PM

Mellow: Yep, mentioned in my first post. I use a 55amp one (might was well go overboard!). Could something there had gone wrong, possibly, but not likely. I know these cars don't like low voltage, both when programming and driving!

Motorcarman: Will do! Thanks.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:45 PM

So, I tired a few more things and well, he's dead Jim. I even pulled out my Mongoose and SDD 125 to see if maybe it would communicate with the TCM, but no luck. Battery out for a day, hook it back up, still nothing. So, it's a new TCM for me. Based on part numbers, it looks like the mechatronics/TCM is the same for all S-type variants, and I have found a used unit out of a 05 S-type so looks like that would be a safe bet. However, I am trying to find out if any TCM for a ZF6hp26 will do even if it is from a BMW or Ford or whatever, and it is just the programming that matters. Maybe I'll post in General Tech and see if anyone has some thoughts.

On wards and upwards!

Old 05-14-2021, 12:50 PM

Well, time to wrap this up. It's alive!

After trying to figure out what different TCM's from what other makes/models that use this trans would fit, I just decided to go the 'safe' route. After checking part numbers, I realized all S-type's from 03-08 have the same part number for the TCM/mechatronics unit. So, I found one out of a 05 S-type 3.0 (complete mechatronics/TCM unit) for $300, and went for it. I decided to just swap my TCM with this other one since I know the history of my car and I've done fluid changes, while the used one I had no idea and it had 180k miles on it. Who knows if it ever had any fluid changes. After swapping them and installing, filled up the trans with fluid and then came the moment of truth. I fired up IDS, hooked up my VCM. First good news, IDS could communicate with the TCM (first problem solved). Second, still had the P0610 as the TCM configuration file was obviously wrong, but, went to TCM configuration and it immediately noticed it needed to reflash with the right config file, said yes, waited nervously for about 5 min, then all done. Successful reflash, P0610 gone and all is well again! So clearly, something must have been a bit wonky with my original TCM that caused it to brick as this time went perfect.

Moral of the story: Stuff happens, but it can always be fixed, so don't be afraid to try things!

The following 4 users liked this post by WinterJag:
JagV8 (05-14-2021), kr98664 (05-14-2021), motorcarman (05-15-2021), Norri (05-15-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 05:02 PM

Well, seems I spoke too soon! Now, the TCM/ECM still talks fine with each other, so no issue there. However, another issue has popped up. First, when I shifted into reverse, it was really slow then a big thunk. I didn't think much of it as it backed up just fine. Then when I went to drive again, a pause then a thunk and into gear. Okay, I figured maybe it just needs to re-adapt and get used to things. However, when I started driving, big problem. When it when to shift out of first, it just revved like crazy and then BANG, nothing. Did it again and again. Now, if I just lightly feathered the gas, it did seem to shift into second, but kinda hard to do with all these hills here. Eventually, gearbox fault popped up and got a P0781 (1-2 shift problem). So, from what I can tell, that code has popped up before after someone reflashed their TCM and their dealer just said 'new trans'. There is also that TSB (JTB00072) that suggests a reflash. Now, I just reflashed mine so maybe it's not be newest software. In the TSB is says you need IDS 116 with Patch 4, I use 118, so I think the software should be fine. Could it be that the car had adapted to certain fluid characteristics and pressures and now that it is reset, it needs to adapt again? Should I just drive it around carefully for a bit and see if it adapts? Could there still be some air trapped somewhere in the mechatronics and I just need to flush it out?

From what I can tell you need to carefully so the re-adaptation procedure (swear I saw don't go over 1500rpm). I give a few gentle drives a go and see what happens.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Last edited by WinterJag; 05-14-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I think people are using V130 or newer and they MAY have newer TCM code.

It's not too hard to find the actual file(s) to see if they have changed but I don't have easy access as I've not needed IDS/SDD for an age and the laptop with it is poorly (on the ToDo list).

I have notes that they have file names along the lines of
Z65k5656x202fed.phx
Z65k5656x202fed.dhx

I was able to use OBD to get the CALID as Z65K5656X202R which looks similar (there will be USA / ROW things which may be fed / r as file name endings).

Here are some documents I acquired at some point.

Attached Files
s-type-calibration-101167.pdf (51.3 KB, 83 views)
WinterJag (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 08:49 AM

Thanks JagV8. I don't have a working copy of V130 (well, I have a copy but it won't open legacy IDS when I connect) but I do have V125 that works fine. Maybe I'll hook that up and see what happens. Anyone have a link to a copy of V130 or higher? Also, does the VCM work with SDD? I do have a mongoose (bought it used and it is supposed to be the real deal) but I'm not sure, and I would rather do programming with something I know will work and not risk anything!

Old 05-15-2021, 09:59 AM

Yes the VCM works with SDD up to a certain point. (I don't know what version stopped using Rotunda VCM)
My buddy at the Jaguar dealer did NOT like using the Mongoose for configuring, He always used the 'good ole' VCM.

WinterJag (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 426 Posts
WinterJag (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

you need to run on a real system to run tabman on SDD

i think even 160 still supports the VCM

WinterJag (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 12:44 PM

Thanks all! I can run this on a real system so no worries there. I typically use a VM for IDS and it works just fine but I know SDD can be picky with that and can have issues launching legacy on a vm. I'll dust off my stand alone old Toshiba laptop that runs Win XP and use that one for this.

I also think nothing beats a VCM, and based on what I am hearing, it should work just fine with SDD 131 (downloading now, thanks scottjh9). I'll see if I can sort this out this weekend. Hey, at least my TCM and ECU are talking now and since I didn't have any issues before, I doubt anything is actually wrong.

Quick Reply: Did I just brick my TCM?