Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just brick my TCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 611 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Thanks all! I can run this on a real system so no worries there. I typically use a VM for IDS and it works just fine but I know SDD can be picky with that and can have issues launching legacy on a vm. I'll dust off my stand alone old Toshiba laptop that runs Win XP and use that one for this.

I also think nothing beats a VCM, and based on what I am hearing, it should work just fine with SDD 131 (downloading now, thanks scottjh9). I'll see if I can sort this out this weekend. Hey, at least my TCM and ECU are talking now and since I didn't have any issues before, I doubt anything is actually wrong.
you are very welcome. Was not sure if the link would open and download being sent from my phone. You might need username and password if it is not part of the download. If so let me know i will find it

The following users liked this post:
WinterJag (05-15-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 01:15 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Update:

So, I got 131 all up and running, no issues whatsoever once hooked up to the car. I wen to the TCM, flashed it with the file it said it had (z65y5656x202fed.phx, guessing it's the right one) and let it do it's thing. All good at that point. So, after that, I decided to take it for a spin and well, same issues. Harsh shifts into R and D, then when I started to drive, I made sure to be VERY light on the throttle. At first, I noticed a little RPM flaring but I was really careful on the gas and it did shift to 2, then same thing, very light throttle, and at first the 2-3 shift didn't work and RPM flared but I again backed off and it did shift to 3. Now, when it did shift it was actually very smooth. Since I was just driving around my house, I couldn't get fast enough to get into 4th. This is making me think it's not an actual mechanical issue and a shift learning issue.

Now, based on my understanding, you are supposed to do the adaptation on level ground, well, there is no such thing right around me. I can get to a level area, but I didn't do it in the middle of the day since if it got stuck in 1st and had to limp my way there, that would **** off lots of people! I will get there, but my thinking is since I'm having to go up/down hills, it's not happy trying to figure out the shifts. Since you need to give it some gas to get up the hills, as soon as it goes to shift, you're not actually keeping steady RPMs and so it flares when it goes to shift (like you are flooring it!). I did manage to get it to shift smoothly once from 1-2 going up hill, but I had to be VERY light and careful on the throttle.

Plan: Let the car warm up, get it to the nice flat area (a really big parking lot with a ring road around it actually) and then drive, with light throttle and give it a chance to figure out shift points/pressure or whatever.

What do you think?

Last edited by WinterJag; 05-16-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Update:

So, I got 131 all up and running, no issues whatsoever once hooked up to the car. I wen to the TCM, flashed it with the file it said it had (z65y5656x202fed.phx, guessing it's the right one) and let it do it's thing. All good at that point. So, after that, I decided to take it for a spin and well, same issues. Harsh shifts into R and D, then when I started to drive, I made sure to be VERY light on the throttle. At first, I noticed a little RPM flaring but I was really careful on the gas and it did shift to 2, then same thing, very light throttle, and at first the 2-3 shift didn't work and RPM flared but I again backed off and it did shift to 3. Now, when it did shift it was actually very smooth. Since I was just driving around my house, I couldn't get fast enough to get into 4th. This is making me think it's not an actual mechanical issue and a shift learning issue.

Now, based on my understanding, you are supposed to do the adaptation on level ground, well, there is no such thing right around me. I can get to a level area, but I didn't do it in the middle of the day since if it got stuck in 1st and had to limp my way there, that would **** off lots of people! I will get there, but my thinking is since I'm having to go up/down hills, it's not happy trying to figure out the shifts. Since you need to give it some gas to get up the hills, as soon as it goes to shift, you're not actually keeping steady RPMs and so it flares when it goes to shift (like you are flooring it!). I did manage to get it to shift smoothly once from 1-2 going up hill, but I had to be VERY light and careful on the throttle.

Plan: Let the car warm up, get it to the nice flat area (a really big parking lot with a ring road around it actually) and then drive, with light throttle and give it a chance to figure out shift points/pressure or whatever.

What do you think?
i think you are spot on with your plan. You may have to clear tcm adaptations before you start your flat drive. Can you take your laptop and clear after you reach your spot

Old 05-16-2021, 02:42 PM

Yep, I can take my laptop (only the one with my IDS 118, but perfectly fine for clearing adaptation). That was actually what I was thinking. Get to level area, clear any codes that popped up then clear adaptations, drive around and see what happens.

When I lived back in Winnipeg, it was the middle of the Canadian prairies. Flat forever in every direction. This would have been easier back home!

Old 05-16-2021, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely. You should be fine with the car battery for that. Even the laptop on battery. Unless you have a car charger for it to be extra sure

Old 05-18-2021, 08:14 PM

Small update. So, I managed to get the car to the mall and did some driving. Still not ideal conditions, but better than up and down 30 degree hills! Results, well, at least something seems to be happening. If I am very very light on the gas, it will now somewhat reliably shift 1 2, very rough if I am not careful on the throttle, but it seems to be slowly adapting. Same goes for 2-3, again rough if I am not careful, but again, adapting. I managed to get into 4th once or twice, but again, conditions not great for getting up to speed. Basically, when this all started, it would rarely go 1-2, and pretty much always trigger gearbox fault. Now it's the other way around, same with 2-3 so again, moving in the right direction. Basically, when I can tell it wants to shift, the rpm will start to flare, then I back off the gas, and it will drop into gear (9/10 times), sometimes actually pretty smooth. I know the car wants specific RMP/torque/throttle conditions for adaptation so I decided to run the Adaptation program, but guess what, wouldn't load! It said communications failure with the VCM just before it loads up (I can see the whole screen with the different values right behind the warning window), which is odd since it is working fine for everything else. This was with IDS 118.5 on a VM, so I will try it again with my VCM and/or mongoose with SDD 131 on my stand alone machine and see if it works then.

Until I can sort out the Adaptation cycle thing, I think it seems it is improving, but since I can't tell what the actual torque/throttle readings are and if they are in the proper range, I will just have to drive around carefully and play with the gas as it goes! In the end, there seems to be some progress. Even if I over-rev on 1-2 and it flares, it will shift to 2, harshly, but still doing it. Baby steps!

Oh ya, one thing is that during this driving, I did get lots of gearbox faults and codes, and they were P0781, 782, 783 so issues shifting into 1, 2, 3. It actually makes me feel better since it indicates nothing is actually mechanically wrong, it just needs to learn how to shift.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:23 PM

Well, it' getting better! Did some more driving and a of now, 1-2 and 2-3 will predictably shift as long as I am light on the throttle and keep it steady. Now, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 still need to be worked on since I can't really get up to speed where I have been driving. When I did get out on the open road, that 3-4 wouldn't shift and I got a gearbox fault, but again, I can't get any of the trans adaptation program working so I'm guessing at the right torque/throttle positions. Guess it's more driving for me.

As to the trans adapt procedure, any ideas why it won't actually run? On my IDS 118.5, it says communication with VCM (even though it is working), on my 125, it opens and looks to be loading but the screen stays blank. Then lastly on my stand alone 131, it starts to open but then all I get is that lovely little red 'x' in the top left, signifying error in loading images. So, ideas, thoughts?

Old 05-19-2021, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

I can't say it's wrong but it does feel overly unhappy, as if it's trying to cope (*) but can't quite.

(*) i.e. trying adapt when something's out of spec or well I know not what, sorry

I wonder if the images are flash and thus maybe affected by the removed Windows support for flash?

WinterJag (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

it’s the default IE error image.

I couldn’t load the variant selection screen in IDS until I installed NET 3.5 (2.0 + 3.0) and XML Parser 4.0

The following 2 users liked this post by xalty:
JagV8 (05-20-2021), WinterJag (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:32 PM

I think I do have Net 3.5 on my stand alone 131 machine, but I don't know about XML Parser, I'll have to look into that. My plan is to just do some driving every day and work my way towards all the shifts working. Hopefully I can sort out IDS/SDD, that would really help in showing me how the car wants me to hit the gas!

Old 05-23-2021, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 393 Posts

I am following this thread because I am trying to get up to speed on IDS/SDD and have a problem on my STR that will need some control module re-programming. For grins, I downloaded the version that scottjh9 provided a link for on my Windows 10, I7 laptop, and it executed and appears to be running. (I thought one is supposed to run the older S/W on windows XP) Anyways, can someone pm me a username and P/W so I can see if the S/W will work, at least partially using my VCM.

I am looking forward, with lots of anxiety, to learning the IDS/SDD program.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tijoe
I am following this thread because I am trying to get up to speed on IDS/SDD and have a problem on my STR that will need some control module re-programming. For grins, I downloaded the version that scottjh9 provided a link for on my Windows 10, I7 laptop, and it executed and appears to be running. (I thought one is supposed to run the older S/W on windows XP) Anyways, can someone pm me a username and P/W so I can see if the S/W will work, at least partially using my VCM.

I am looking forward, with lots of anxiety, to learning the IDS/SDD program.
pm sent good luck...it runs on my windows 7 great so maybe 10 is ok too

Old 05-23-2021, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I can't say it's wrong but it does feel overly unhappy, as if it's trying to cope (*) but can't quite.

(*) i.e. trying adapt when something's out of spec or well I know not what, sorry

I wonder if the images are flash and thus maybe affected by the removed Windows support for flash?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-adapt-223607/ check post 3 of this thread

WinterJag (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 06:50 PM

Well, time to update, and it's a good update. I never did get the adaptation procedure to open properly, so I said screw that, I'll figure it out on my own. Now that I saw the thread scottjh9 posted above (missed that one while looking for info) I can say the info for the supercharged cars is spot on. I noticed learning of the 1-2, 2-3 shift took place between 1000-1200 rpm at first, then the 3-4 around 1400-1500 rpm. However, the 4-5 seemed to want to shift at first around 1800 rpm, then finally into 6th at about 1500 rpm. So overall it seemed to follow the outlined rpm range. I've been driving around now for a few days and I can say that the car is at about 80% normal. I can even start to drive more normally and the car is shifting fine with some gas up to around 2000 rpm for all gears. I know you're supposed to take it easy but with it being so hilly here almost impossible to do that sometimes, I even had to do a kick-down or three to stay with traffic and get up some hills (worked fine by the way). The only real issues now are the classic lurch (2-1 downshift is a real kick in the pants 50% of the time) and the 4-5 shift is still... temperamental. Sometimes it shifts perfect, then sometimes it acts up and needs more revs, or sometimes less revs. Seems the trans is still a little confused with that one! Other than that, the car is totally back to daily use and the more it's driven, the better the shifting is getting. It's nice to be out of the woods with this one. I have been leaving the AC on, so maybe the next drive I'll turn it off and see how that goes.

Scotlad (05-24-2021)
Old 07-27-2022, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 853 Posts

with the new knowledge out there apparently this worked because you used the TCM out of an N-range car…