Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Differential Oil Leak

Hi all

I recently acquired a year 2000 S type 3.0 auto, and I have started a process of working through some of the issues. I had the car front up on ramps in the garage yesterday to start the process of removing the front bumper ( I'm going to remove the headlights). Having done what I needed to, I reversed the car back off the ramps, and noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor, under where the diff would have been.

Since having the car ( a few weeks) I have not noticed any oil at all underneath it, and its been in the garage all this time. I will be back in again this week to have a good look underneath, but just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas. Is it possible the diff has been overfilled and it could leak oil out while at an angle? or could it just be a seal leaking when at an angle? The car has 192,000 on the clock, so the diff is probably in need of some TLC.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2017, 02:21 AM
Received 10,480 Likes on 6,920 Posts

My best guess would be the angle of the dangle to do the front has had some oil seep out of the breather????

A small amount of oil can make a HUGE puddle.

The following users liked this post:
MWMan (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 04:22 AM

Mmmmm.... if that's true, I don't think I need to worry too much. However, the ramps are not that high 4-5", so I would assume its no different to parking on a steep hill. Is it possible to overfill the diff to the point the breather would let out oil from the breather when parked on an incline?

As I say, It will another couple of days before I get chance to get it back on the ramps and have a look underneath and see where it is. Had a look under the car this morning with it on the flat - not a drip anywhere ???????

Old 01-02-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 10,480 Likes on 6,920 Posts

Mmmm, our ramps are 10", so a decent angle.

That small amount UP you mention would not in my opinion.

Overfilling is extremely hard also, unless, the rear is UP at some serious angle.

No drips today, so I reckon the Cat was just marking her territory, AND, giving you something to think about.

A sticker I swa the other day

"Dogs have leads, Cats have masters"

Old 01-02-2017, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:36 AM

Well I finally got around to having a look at what I thought was a diff leak. Got the car front wheels up on the ramps (as before) and laid down waiting to see where the oil had been coming from - guess what - no oil

Left it for quite a while - still no oil. OK, turned the car round and reversed onto the ramps to have a good look at the diff. No oil to be seen anywhere. Not even a smattering around the seals. So, while I was under there, I took out the plug, sucked out the old oil and put some new in there. About 1.4 litres to overflow.

No oil from the front end either with the car on the ramps. Now I have absolutely no idea where the small pool of oil came from. I figure I'm just living in the Twilight Zone. Anyway, I'll keep my eye open to see what happens.

Good news is that there isn't a diff leak, and having spent some time under the car, she looks pretty good for an old gal of 17 years and 192,000 on the clock.

Next stop - wheels off and check round the brakes, Discs and suspension systems.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Glad to hear you changed the fluid. It does not get done very often and with no drain plug it's a bit of a pain to do.