S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovered that tranny is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Discovered that tranny is leaking

I changed the oil in my S tonight, and, discovered that the tranny is seeping fluid. It appears to be coming from where the 2 transmission cooling lines enter the side of the case. Guess I'll take it to the dealer and find out if my select edition warranty will cover it.

Regards:
Oldengineer
06 S Type VDP

Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Betcha its the electrical connection rubber sleave!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I changed the oil in my S tonight, and, discovered that the tranny is seeping fluid. It appears to be coming from where the 2 transmission cooling lines enter the side of the case. Guess I'll take it to the dealer and find out if my select edition warranty will cover it.

Regards:
Oldengineer
06 S Type VDP
It should as long as it is the internal o-ring that failed. Any internal rubber seal is covered. Any external rubber (weather strip or hoses and lines) are not. The interesting point about lines is if it is a metal line or a combination rubber/metal line and the metal is failed, that is covered. So, if it is one of the cooling lines and the dealer says it is the metal part that has failed, that too should be covered. Just be warned that dealers vary on what they determine is a leak. The slight seeping of fluid that does not result in pooling on the ground or in the undertray many times is not considered significant enough to warrant replacing the component. So, a nice conversation with your service manager may be required beforehand. I have a cooling line that is damp with fluid, but not enough to leave drips. The service manager, a tech, and me spent some time under the car on a lift and determined that it wasn't enough of a concern to tear a bunch of things apart, so we left it be for now.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff:

It hasn't leaked enough to get on the undertray. The fittings and part of the tranny pan are now greasy with fluid. I changed the oil 5000 miles ago and it wasn't leaking then. Apparently it just started.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
Jeff:

It hasn't leaked enough to get on the undertray. The fittings and part of the tranny pan are now greasy with fluid. I changed the oil 5000 miles ago and it wasn't leaking then. Apparently it just started.

Regards:
Oldengineer
I'd recommend that you do what I did. I hope you get along with your dealer as well as I do with mine. Explain the situation to them and ask them to look at it up on a lift with you. A good tech will find out where that "wetness" is coming from and then decide on the next action.

Considering it is wet around the pan and fittings, I would think it is that darn O-ring as well..In that case, it should be a simple "we'll schedule you in for XXXX".

Gotta love that Select Edition...

Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

...ahhhhh shiat! I think my Tranny is leaking as well, I found small oil stains on the drive way where the Jag been parked, it looks like tranny fluid I'm assuming can't verify until I get it up on a lift but hey is there a way to refill the tranny fluid from under the hood or you have to fill it in from under the car somehow? Unfortunately I dont have any warranty so I'm going to have to throw down some heavy coin it looks like to fix it . I just dont want to keep driving it to a point where its low on tranny fluid, then I'll be in deeper ****!
**If it is the Tranny, what are the common problems of why the tranny would be leaking? I can think of only one right now which is the Tranny pan gasket. Someone mentioned about O-ring?

Last edited by jag79; 10-14-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jag79
...ahhhhh shiat! I think my Tranny is leaking as well, I found small oil stains on the drive way where the Jag been parked, it looks like tranny fluid I'm assuming can't verify until I get it up on a lift but hey is there a way to refill the tranny fluid from under the hood or you have to fill it in from under the car somehow? Unfortunately I dont have any warranty so I'm going to have to throw down some heavy coin it looks like to fix it . I just dont want to keep driving it to a point where its low on tranny fluid, then I'll be in deeper ****!
**If it is the Tranny, what are the common problems of why the tranny would be leaking? I can think of only one right now which is the Tranny pan gasket. Someone mentioned about O-ring?
We need to know what year and engine.. Matters greatly.. Good idea to put that in a signature on your profile so it is always there...

Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
We need to know what year and engine.. Matters greatly.. Good idea to put that in a signature on your profile so it is always there...
..ohh my bad, its a 03' STR with 87k miles on it.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jag79
..ohh my bad, its a 03' STR with 87k miles on it.
Yup... we can lump you in with the 'Ol engineer... You have a ZF HP26 trans... Need to start reading up on the wire harness o-ring and checking and changing fluid. It is factory filled with a REAL expensive mineral oil based fluid. There are some cheap alternatives that you could go with since you don't have the factory warranty to worry about. It is sealed with no dip stick. There is a fill plug on the side of the trans and that is how you check it (think rear differentials). It is sensitive to temperatures so you really need to read up on it. I would bet that it is an o-ring leak and there are a couple real good write ups on changing it..And yes, your trans is the same as the one used in the 3.0 and 4.2 base cars.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Yup... we can lump you in with the 'Ol engineer... You have a ZF HP26 trans... Need to start reading up on the wire harness o-ring and checking and changing fluid. It is factory filled with a REAL expensive mineral oil based fluid. There are some cheap alternatives that you could go with since you don't have the factory warranty to worry about. It is sealed with no dip stick. There is a fill plug on the side of the trans and that is how you check it (think rear differentials). It is sensitive to temperatures so you really need to read up on it. I would bet that it is an o-ring leak and there are a couple real good write ups on changing it..And yes, your trans is the same as the one used in the 3.0 and 4.2 base cars.
Thanks Jeff for the info If indeed it is the O-ring that is leaking could you guide me where to look for the write ups on how to change it out? I did a search on the forum but didnt come up with the info on this particular O ring, unless im looking in the wrong place. Ohh before I forget is there a special measuring dip stick that you place in the fill hole to check the level or another way?

Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

Since Jeff probably won't be on til the morning heres the link that is located in the S Section FAQ on the IMT O Ring replacement:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32135

Again S Section FAQ contains this awesome thread on replacing the transmission sleeve, member ccc describes everything in full detail with pics:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30991

Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=joycesjag;256247]Since Jeff probably won't be on til the morning heres the link that is located in the S Section FAQ on the IMT O Ring replacement:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32135

Again S Section FAQ contains this awesome thread on replacing the transmission sleeve, member ccc describes everything in full detail with pics:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30991[/QUOTE

Thank you soooo much for the links, I did see it in the FAqs but the IMT part threw me off(didnt know what IMT meant ), wasn't sure it was the right O rings we were talking about and what do you know , they are from you who put it up, Thanks again for sharing it.

**Could you explain briefly please what exactly is the IMT O ring and what relation does it have with the Tranny fluid? You mentioned there could be two possibilities of the Transmission fluid leak. Either the IMT-O rings or the Transmission Sleeve, or both

Thank you.

Last edited by jag79; 10-14-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I just did my leaking transmission sleeve today. One thing I want to add is to disconnect the battery when you do this procedure. Somehow during the removal or replacement of the transmission connector, the TCM/ECM fuse blew on my car. Needess to say, the car would not start after I refilled the transmission and I spent an unpleasant 90 minutes trying to figure out what I might have done wrong. I finally pulled codes and it steered me to the power fault (i.e. the fuse).

Old 10-15-2010, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

IMT is sometimes called VIS.

I think VIS is variable intake system.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Veteran member

[quote=jag79;256294**Could you explain briefly please what exactly is the IMT O ring and what relation does it have with the Tranny fluid? You mentioned there could be two possibilities of the Transmission fluid leak. Either the IMT-O rings or the Transmission Sleeve, or both

Thank you.[/quote]

I don't believe your car has the IMT O-rings. I don't think you have the same type of intake tuning since you have an R. But I'm not sure. The 3.0 has a multiple runner intake that is adjusted depending on throttle input.

Rick posted it since it is a very common source of fluid drips. Remember that a fluid drip on the driveway doesn't always line up to the source. I could be dripping onto the engine under-tray then run out the back and show as a drip on the driveway.

I would get the car safely up and crawl under it and determine exactly where the fluid leak is coming from. Then determine exactly what is leaking.. All odds point to the sleeve that goes into the transmission and it's o-ring. As for a dip stick....I've only heard of the one your born with...NO, not that!!! Your finger.... LOL

Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Jeff is correct the IMT (VIS) O-Rings are on 3.0 engines.

So therefore not a source of your leak Jag79.

The electrical connector sleeve on the ZF transmission are the same. I say sleeve because its more of a sleeve than an O-Ring.

New color green IMT (VIS) o-rings:

ZF transmission rubber electrical sleeve,
black old one, red new replacment:

Yes the whole sleeve gets replaced not just the red o-rings.

Old Engineer, sorry for the hijack.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing to add to this great thread, but as an Englishman, with a warped sence of humour you have no idea how funny I found the title
Sorry for the highjack

Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Roflmao

Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

LOLzz..you guys are the BEST!!! Thanks for helping me understand exactly what may or may not be the cause for my Tranny fluid leak. I'll keep you up to date on my findings. **I too was searching through the JTIS for the STR I own, and I couldn't find anything on IMT O rings so thats good the "R" doesnt have it, one less thing to worry about

Cheers!
**Sorry for the off topic question, but how do I add a Signature whenever I make a post, I wanted to add my car details but I can't find where to add it in my profile. Anyone can tell me where exactly in my Profile I go to add it in? Thanks.

Last edited by jag79; 10-15-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

Go to "User CP" from the menu choices in the black bar..
About midway down is a selection to "Edit Signature"

Leaking Tranny.... LOL... I just realized how funny that is.....

Quick Reply: Discovered that tranny is leaking