Sponsored by:

Discovered that tranny is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
Cheers!
**Sorry for the off topic question, but how do I add a Signature whenever I make a post, I wanted to add my car details but I can't find where to add it in my profile. Anyone can tell me where exactly in my Profile I go to add it in? Thanks.
Click On the link that says User CP Under the top of the thread all the way to the left on the black bar. After that you will see a menu and one of the options will be edit signature.

George

Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Click On the link that says User CP Under the top of the thread all the way to the left on the black bar. After that you will see a menu and one of the options will be edit signature.

George
Thanks Mate! Don't know how that got passed by me

Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hey guys quick question, Do I have to remove the transmission pan before I take out the sleeve? Or could I take out the sleeve and change/add oil without removing the full pan? Thanks

Old 10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

There's a write-up somewhere
You have to take off the pan (look at the sleeve pics and you can kinda see why).
You'll need various new parts... see the write-up.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey guys quick question, Do I have to remove the transmission pan before I take out the sleeve? Or could I take out the sleeve and change/add oil without removing the full pan? Thanks
The sleeve release is inside of the transmission so the pan needs to come out first; otherwise, it would be too easy and only a $12 fix.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccc
The sleeve release is inside of the transmission so the pan needs to come out first; otherwise, it would be too easy and only a $12 fix.
..Hey bro I took my car in today at friends garage, we checked the sleeve it was completely dry. But the leak was coming from the drain plug on the bottom of the plastic pan. I'm guessing the washer has gone bad on the plug. NOw since my STR has 87k miles on it, I might as well change the fluid, fill plug, Sleeve, and get the complete Pan which includes the filter and gasket. Also found out that my Tranny mount is gone bad ,that part alone cost $118 from the dealer. I called up ZF distributors and they dont carry the Tranny mount. Also the ZF prices have gone up since the last time you purchased from them.

1x Oil Pan/filter/gasket: $134/$143
21x Oil pan bolts: $2.67 each, you got dam lucky and got them for .39cents each
1x Valve body sleeve: $12.10/$16.04

If anyone knows a better place to get the Transmission Mount cheaper than $118 please do let me know.

Thanks to all.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Jag79 you might want to try ken@britishparts.com

BTW what is up with the europeans and their tranny fetish

Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Jag79 you might want to try ken@britishparts.com

..hey JoycesJag I found a Tranny mount for $71 free shipping from http://www.discountjparts.com/parts/...4962488%2B1641

Its a Westar brand, says it OE direct replacement fit for my STR and S, but I have my doubts on wether its a good quality or not. I even called up Gaudin jagaur parts they wanted $91 OEM plus shipping charge of $12
....You gotta love them GIMP outfits those Trannys like to wear over in europe

Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 PM
ccc

..Hey bro I took my car in today at friends garage, we checked the sleeve it was completely dry. But the leak was coming from the drain plug on the bottom of the plastic pan. I'm guessing the washer has gone bad on the plug. NOw since my STR has 87k miles on it, I might as well change the fluid, fill plug, Sleeve, and get the complete Pan which includes the filter and gasket. Also found out that my Tranny mount is gone bad ,that part alone cost $118 from the dealer. I called up ZF distributors and they dont carry the Tranny mount. Also the ZF prices have gone up since the last time you purchased from them.

1x Oil Pan/filter/gasket: $134/$143
21x Oil pan bolts: $2.67 each, you got dam lucky and got them for .39cents each
1x Valve body sleeve: $12.10/$16.04

If anyone knows a better place to get the Transmission Mount cheaper than $118 please do let me know.

Thanks to all.
Do you need the new bolts? If you have new one with the larger torx head, you can reuse them. I think the $0.39 was a typo, maybe they finally caught it. There is a Las Vegas outfit that comes up under the search for Jaguar Porsche parts that usually has pretty good prices for the Jaguar parts.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccc
Do you need the new bolts? If you have new one with the larger torx head, you can reuse them. I think the $0.39 was a typo, maybe they finally caught it. There is a Las Vegas outfit that comes up under the search for Jaguar Porsche parts that usually has pretty good prices for the Jaguar parts.
.....I have the Torx27 type bolts, but Im assuming those are the old OEM ones that they came standard. Can I use those on the new ZF pan if I order through them, or do I need to get the Torx40? or it doesnt even matter? lolz.....

p.s by the way the sales rep at ZF distributers did say it was a typo and those who ordered it at that price they honored it,lolz...they finally did catch on

Old 10-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Europeans, EUROPEANS ? don't lump us in with that lot coffee drinkers !! lol, love em realy.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
ccc

.....I have the Torx27 type bolts, but Im assuming those are the old OEM ones that they came standard. Can I use those on the new ZF pan if I order through them, or do I need to get the Torx40? or it doesnt even matter? lolz.....

p.s by the way the sales rep at ZF distributers did say it was a typo and those who ordered it at that price they honored it,lolz...they finally did catch on
Had I been smart enough to find by set with a torx27 instead of torx25, I would not have stripped any of them. I seems like in places with harsh winters, the bolts may be more difficult to back out and one can strip the torx27. Being in Florida, it should not be an issue. I personally used anti-sieze on re-assembly and cut slots in the stripped heads to use a screw driver to re-assemble before the new ones arrived so I would order later if you need them. I can also send you a few old Torx27 if you need a few.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccc
Had I been smart enough to find by set with a torx27 instead of torx25, I would not have stripped any of them. I seems like in places with harsh winters, the bolts may be more difficult to back out and one can strip the torx27. Being in Florida, it should not be an issue. I personally used anti-sieze on re-assembly and cut slots in the stripped heads to use a screw driver to re-assemble before the new ones arrived so I would order later if you need them. I can also send you a few old Torx27 if you need a few.
...Hey amigo! Thanks for the offer, but for now I'm going to hold off doing the pan replacement, since its only my drain plug leaking right now, I'm just going to order another drain plug and do the quick switcharooo , unplug it and replace it with new one. Whatever fluid lost I'll replace with a new ZF tranny fluid. But definately once I hit 100k, everything needs to be put in new for the tranny service.

Thanks for helping out.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wow

I just got my car back from the dealer today. They put a couple of new oil rings in the tranny, replaced the tranny pan, and changed the fluid. They fixed my power rear sunshade that was stuck down as well. They also topped off the car's other fluids and checked my brake pad thickness. the total charge for all this was $20. I'm impressed.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Wow - that's Unbelievably (!) cheap.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldengineer
I just got my car back from the dealer today. They put a couple of new oil rings in the tranny, replaced the tranny pan, and changed the fluid. They fixed my power rear sunshade that was stuck down as well. They also topped off the car's other fluids and checked my brake pad thickness. the total charge for all this was $20. I'm impressed.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Great to hear... Good dealer and Select Edition..What a wonderful combination..

Hmmm... I actually wish my sleve would leak..Great way to get some fresh fluid on the cheap with the warranty..

Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

oldengineer was the $20.00 for donuts? I am glad you have your vehicle back in top notch shape.

Oh Jeff, lunch on you next spring

Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Wow - that's Unbelievably (!) cheap.
Yup..His dealer did what they are supposed to do.. To fix the leak they had to drop the pan. That basically gets you a trans fluid and filter service. The sleeve is internal, so it's covered.. They also did an inspection for him and I bet only charged him for shop supplies (any fluids they had to top off). That is the way dealers are supposed to do things....

That is also why my next car will come from my dealer...despite the body shop mess up..

Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 AM
Veteran member

oldengineer was the $20.00 for donuts? I am glad you have your vehicle back in top notch shape.

Oh Jeff, lunch on you next spring
You got it!

Then we can sit back and watch some TV in the S!

You really need to jump on Nalley's special for the rear screens!

Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
You got it!

Then we can sit back and watch some TV in the S!

You really need to jump on Nalley's special for the rear screens!

Maybe catch some episodes of Top Gear

I mentioned them to Joyce, but she shot them down. "We" don't let the kiddies watch tv in vehicles unless we are on a road trip.

Quick Reply: Discovered that tranny is leaking