S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you resend the last picture that shows the wire repair? I would like to see which points you connected

Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justinb67
My DCCV broke, and after replacing I found out that my climate control module was now broken (because of the DCCV). For an indepth explanation of my symptoms and what I did up until doing this repair, see this thread a/c blows hot - jag tech assistance would be great!!! - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum .

Thanks to Brutal on this forum for telling me that it can be fixed by a PC repair company (I actually own a network consulting firm). So with that knowledge I figured I would take a stab at it, what's the worst that could happen? Broken climate control module (just buy one on ebay, $150 or so if you can find one...)

Okay, so here are the pics and the steps. may come in handy if you don't have a jtis CD and don't know how to remove the trim because of it (lolrd knows I was worried).

You need to replace your DCCV first, because the board doesn't burn itself out. I noticed that when checking the DCCV when it is unhooked from coolant, it cycles when key is clicked to on position. Just look in the holes and you will see it move. Mine only moved on one side, so my climate control unit was bad.

Tools needed, solder, soldering iron, some small wire, a few torx bits for the center console, and some tiny torx for the climate control circuit board (or just cut a groove in them with a dremel tool like I did, and remove them with a flat-head screwdriver). 8mm socket (I think) to remove the climate control and radio unit from the dash.

First step, remove shifter trim by opening ash tray and pulling up like so.

Then open up center console and remove cup holder and fluid catch tray beneath it.

remove two torx screws that hold center console compartment in.

Lift up center console storage compartment and disconnect power outlet (yummmm.... KFC box in the background, less than a week old!)

Remove center console trim by first pulling up here

and then pulling back from this point on each side.

remove 4 bolts holding in climate control and radio

remove the crazy amout of wires going into all the sensors, buttons, radio, and climate control module. The bottoms ones just squeeze and pull they will come out

remove 4 torx screws that hold in climate control module

pry off air-bag distance sensor from back of climate control module

separate back cover from front on climate control module, by pusihing in on the two tabs

pull connector off of back circuit board

Remove four tiny torx screws to free up circuit board from back piece. (I had to cut a groove in them with a dremel and use a standard). Ignore the hole I cut out of it to get a better view..

Locate your bad trace (or 2 I guess, depending on how bad yours failed).

Follow trace from beginning to end, and solder a small wire from the pin going to the board, to the hole where the trace ends. For the pin going into the board, I just made a J with my wire, and hooked it around the pin and soldered it into place... For the other side, I just pushed the wire through, laid a glob of solder on it, then pulled it into the hole while applying heat (gently). I don't really know what I am doing with electronics repair, so there is probably a cleaner way to do it.

Test with Ohm meter, reassemble, and enjoy your air-conditioning (I know I am, its almost summer in southern california, I've been burning up!).

Many thanks for this. I have been suffering for about a year since changing my heater control valve. My CCU had two burns on the lower side of the circuit board and I would not have been able to fix as you suggest due to the proximity of other runs on the circuit board.

In my case I carefully lifted up the loose ends of the circuit board tapes that had burnt through and then joined these with two very thin pieces of wire via soldering. Very fiddly but it worked and I now have air conditioning again. Top job and thanks again for the post.

Miles

Attached Thumbnails DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4220-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4224.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4222.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4221-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4219-1.jpg  

DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4218-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4217-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4216-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4215-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4214-1.jpg  

DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4213-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4212-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4211-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4205-1.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dscf4209-1.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by milespunter:
Moleexpress (03-04-2019), Nick DiLello (09-06-2015)
Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Climate Control Unit Fix

I did a very similar fix on a 2004 S Type. The AC was blowing cold out of the center vent, yet blowing hot out of each side vent. I took two good pictures of the solder fix. The first pic shows the fix that was like the one posted above. On the back side, another burned spot had to be jumped.

Use very small, solid wire, and take care.

The AC blows ice cold now, on all three outlets.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dsc05333.jpg   DIY Climate Control fix for jaguar s-type 2003+ FAQ-dsc05334.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Navionsam:
aholbro1 (11-27-2016), Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-20-2015), Moleexpress (03-04-2019)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Did you change the DCCV? If not, expect something else to burn out on the (R)CCM.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-20-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just followed justinb67 full instructions to the tee (I had previously replaced the CCV) and performed the circuit repair and my Jag is blowin ice cold air again!
Thanks to justinb67 for such clear instructions!!!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a newbie to this forum and a newbie to these S-Type R's. Mine is a 2005 model year, 60k on the odometer. Runs beautifully. Heater blows hot, weather the AC is on or not. Temperature controls have no effect on the AC at all. My question is, what causes this problem in the first place? I would hate to go through all of this just to find the same situation and same malfunction again. Also, my vehicle is equipped with navigation.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

DCCV going bad. First thing to suspect/replace. A zillion threads with details for you to read.