Sponsored by:

DIY Guide: Adding DTRL / DRL (Daytime Running Light) to your S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 296 Posts
Lightbulb DIY Guide: Adding DTRL / DRL (Daytime Running Light) to your S-Type

Normally it is quite easy to add DTRL to a car, but not at the S-Type:
I tried to find on the wiring towards the headlights anywhere a 12V signal (well, battery voltage - i.e. 13.7 or thereabouts) - i.e. a potential difference between a cable there and earth..: No dice! All the signals there were utterly looney: There are about 5 cables, which carry 12V, while everything is off - does not make any sense at all! I could not find any cable, which is able to open a relay (with the other cable to the coil coming from earth), if the low bean headlights are on...

But after some headache I figured it out: Whatever silly signals I measure on those headlight cables...: I simply have to slice off from both cables going to the low beam bulb - whatever funny signals those 2 cables carry, they do what I want: When low beam is on, the signal between those two cables connected to the coil of a 12V relay opens that relay!

I need that, because DTRL is not allowed to remain switched on while low beam is switched on. (As a minimum that DTRL would have to be dimmed)

Important PS:
I forgot to mention this: I have already replaced my H7 halogen bulbs (low beam) with LED bulbs. Thus, activating the coil of the relay works, when LED bulbs are being used. I really hope, this works also with incandescent halogen bulbs, but if not, LED bulbs are not expensive... Also, I would like to think that things may even be easier for HID...: I would look at the HID relay for a signal for the relay-coil...

Thus, after figuring this out, the rest was easy:

I need a strong "battery plus" (= 13.7V approx.) signal to power the DTRL LED lights. So contact 87 on the ignition relay was perfect. If you happen to only find a "weak" signal (I mean on any other car, e.g. a signal coming from the thin wires of the stalk switches), use that signal only to open a relay, which then switches thru a battery plus signal coming from the battery. But I am happy with contact 87, which makes things a bit easier.

This is where the ignition relay is at home.

As described above, this is one signal spliced off from the headlight connector, which I need for the relay...

...and this is the other.

Both cables need to be properly insulated again.

Those two cables will get connected to the 2 contacts of the coil of a 12V relay. Which cable goes to which side of the coil, does not matter. The ignition ON signal feeds into a fuse (I chose 10A), which goes to the "common" contact of the relay. And the outgoing cable from that relay leaves from the NC contact of the relay, i.e. the "normally closed" contact, so that the DTRL is on, when ignition is on. But if you then switch on low beam, the relay will move its contact over to the NO-contact (i.e. the normally open contact), which in turn cuts off the power to the DTRLs.

Here is the outgoing cable running along the fat wiring loom, and in the middle of the bumper this cable gets company: A second cable that I fixed firmly to earth via the bolt to the horn assy.

And both cables end in this little connector.

I replaced the old fog lights with those fancy LED fog lights with LED DTRL halo. Their cables end in the opposing connector to the one in the previous picture.

Thus, when I am ready to put the bumper back on, I just have to connect the two connector ends. I tested it already and it works. Looks great, too. I am just not ready to to put the bumper back on, as I am fixing now the Jaguar design short-comings, where they used plastic instead to Chrome or stainless steel, I am waiting for rolled stainless steel and stainless steel woven wire.

I bought those "Angel Eye LED DRL fog light" (white and white) on Aliexpress for about AU$50 a pair.
They are somehow slightly bigger than the OE fog lamps, but especially because the LED halo is in an area, which is partially covered by the jaguar plastic part in front of it, I had to take off a little bit of material of that black plastic part with an angel grinder. Not much, and you would never notice...

My old fog lights had utterly damaged plastic lenses (hit by stones), thus, I had to do something anyway. The other options were to replace the lenses only or to replace the OE fog lights with LED fog lights w/o DTRL, but I figure I made the right choice.

Future outlook: I will soon look into "LED canbus switchback lights". Application: They are e.g. a yellow turn signal light, IF you activate the indicator, but at other times, those same bulbs are not yellow, but white, and act as DTRL!

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 10-24-2022 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added "important PS" at the top regarding LED low beam
The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
joycesjag (10-24-2022), Rober2 (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 04:02 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

very clever dude

Old 10-24-2022, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Don't forget to post a final picture when facia is reinstalled. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,936 Posts

I was under the (possibly false) impression that DRL could be enabled in the dealer s/w (WDS, IDS, SDD, ...) for various markets, so might have been an option.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (12-01-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I was under the (possibly false) impression that DRL could be enabled in the dealer s/w (WDS, IDS, SDD, ...) for various markets, so might have been an option.
it can in north america. I did it on my 06 s type r. Not certain if all models can. Used sdd version 131.1. It comes up in dealer options i think

Old 10-24-2022, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

I just added the following note to the top of my thread:

Important PS:
​​​​​​​I forgot to mention this: I have already replaced my H7 halogen bulbs (low beam) with LED bulbs. Thus, activating the coil of the relay works, when LED bulbs are being used. I really hope, this works also with incandescent halogen bulbs, but if not, LED bulbs are not expensive... Also, I would like to think that things may even be easier for HID...: I would look at the HID relay for a signal for the relay-coil...

Old 11-30-2022, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Don't forget to post a final picture when facia is reinstalled. Thanks for posting.
It took a while, but here is the picture of the DTRL operational and everything assembled:

And I checked already: I am also able to operate those "LED canbus switchback lights" at the same time (=special LED bulbs instead of the normal indicator bulbs, which operate as DTRL, while the indicator is not in use). I will install those later.

Old 12-01-2022, 05:08 AM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi

I converted my indicators to DRL and Fogs to DRL/FOG many years ago and still work great
did a write up if any body is interested click here DRL WRITE UP.
There also a quick clip of them working here

cheers
Joe

The following users liked this post:
elDariusVargas (12-31-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Joe,
thanks. That is exactly what I am aiming for. And I could have done it like that already, but we do have an extremely though MOT here in Australia for cars, which are not registered yet, and another not so tough one, which is a yearly thing for already registered cars. I came across a legislation, which would make that configuration, which you have (and I plan) possibly illegal, even though it does not make any sense, as brand new cars from the factory, which are road-legal here with that same setup, would not comply either, but they do... (The silly regulation here is, that you are allowed to have only ONE DTRL on each side. So for the first MOT, I will not install the DTRL in the indicator, but then I will probably install it.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:44 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

good one Peter, thanks

Old 12-12-2022, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I turned on DLR a few years ago on my 03 STR . Using IDS/SDD .
expecting the fogs in the bumper to activate. Ha , No jaguar used the Low Beam HID’s . I didn’t like it . It looked like you forgot to turn your lights off like an idiot.
so I turned it back off
I also put a pair of LED Halo's in the bumper about 5 years ago . The halo is just wired to the park , and the LED fogs to the existing fog switch . They are at least 10 times better looking and functioning conspired to the stock candles .