S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really have to take the blower off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I'm guessing you know about U/Js and angled things (*) and have already used penetrating fluid (Plus Gas etc) so... can't think of anything, sorry

(*) like interlocking spanners to change the angle (fasten tape/string to them, as you will drop them)

Old 08-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

Ya, I've tried all that. I guess they are just really stuck. Now, I did get some penetrating oil on them yesterday, and they have been sitting overnight, so maybe I will have more luck today. I'm just going to keep at it and maybe try to just take off more stuff (if I can) to get better access and a little more room! We'll see what happens as I do have to get it off somehow.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Well, still at it and I think that some how the head of those stupid bolts got rounded off. As soon as I start to turn the rachet (which I can now after some fiddling and getting the shortest one I could find) the socket slips off. I'm kinda out of ideas short of getting one of those sockets designed for removing rounded bolts (the ones with the teeth/blades/whatever that cut into the head). Since I have to get this thing out to keep going, I'm stuck til I do. I can see the bolt I need to remove to get the intake elbow support off and I can get a wrench to it with room to move, but I can't actually reach it to put any force on it. Well, I'm going to keep at it and hope for the best. I think I'll get one of those special sockets too. Whats the worst it can do if I can't get it off anyway!

Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 PM

I'm stuck now, at least unitl tomorrow. The place I went didn't have an 8mm extractor and it was late so everything was closing so I couldn't check other places. The bolts are worn for sure, don't know if its due to rust or what but they were like this from the first time I put a socket on them. If that extractor doesn't work, I guess I will somehow have to get out the cutting tools and remove the EGR assembly somehow and just replace that too. Its so frustrating. That stupid bracket bolt is right behing the EGR valve tube. I can feel it, but it won't come out til the EGR is off. I've soaked in in WD40 (all I have righ now) and it'll have to wait til tomorrow. I really hope an extractor works. I don't want to have to physically remove it, but I will if I have to. It's coming off one way or another. If anyone has any other ideas (don't care how crazy they seem) feel free to share them, or if any techs out there have come across this issue feel free to let me know how it was resolved! Time to start praying for these to give up their fight with me!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM

SUCCESS!!!!! Got the extractor socket, came off in 2 min! Got the rest off and now I have to wait for new bolts to come in and one gasket that I'm missing, but that give me time to clean everything up and remove all those years of oil and filth! Everyone should have an extractor socket set on hand. Makes life a whole lot easier!

The following users liked this post:
rufeo690 (05-21-2020)
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM

So everything is off, finally. Now, about that hose under the blower. Mine did appear to be bulging slightly where all the others have been, but it didn't seem nearly as bad. Overall, I would say it was still in pretty good shape, surprising after hearing how these things have failed at half my mileage. The water pump I got was GMB and it has metal impellers. My old one actually looks almost brand new. I bet it could go another 10 years, but I'm still going to change it anyway. Overall, with the exception of those EGR valve bolts, everything has been in excellent shape. I expected more bolts to be stuck or worn on a car of this age and mileage, but they weren't. There is a lot of gunk built up in the lower intake elbow and throttle body and into the blower, but I'm cleaning all that up. As well, there seems to be literally no play in my blower, which I'm assuming means that it's in good shape. Again, I'm still going to rebuild it since I have it off and have the kit, but as far as these cars holding up over I've gotta give Jag credit for that! Now, if I hadn't broken my MAP sensor casing when taking it off (oops) I could start putting things back together. Well, at least waiting for parts gives me more time to clean!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Alright, it's all done finally! This took so long because I couldn't really work much during the week on it, and because when I put it all back together on Sunday, one of the gaskets had slipped and wasn't seated properly so it had to come apart again. Anyway, got it back together yesterday night and all seems well. Had a few codes and the MIL come on, but cleared them and they haven't come back. The blower sounds a little rough to me, but I did leave that piece of foam sound deading thing out from under it and when I took the blower apart, everything was as tight as could be with virtually no play in any of the parts, so I'm chalking it up to lack of sound insulation. I guess we'll see if something is wrong if it destroys itself soon enough! So, overall, not a fun job, but with the right tools it actually wasn't that bad! Now it's only been a day, but I figure if there is a problem it should show up sooner rather then later.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by WinterJag
The blower sounds a little rough to me, but I did leave that piece of foam sound deading thing out from under it and when I took the blower apart, everything was as tight as could be with virtually no play in any of the parts, so I'm chalking it up to lack of sound insulation.
You remembered to refill the blower ... right?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Yes I did! But trust me, I had a 'Oh crap' moment, but then remembered yes, I did fill it back up! Actually, I realized while sitting in my lab that I forgot to hook up that little vacuum (?) hose that goes on the back of the upper intake that splits the air to the intercoolers. I did think it was idling a little rough! Attached it and idles fine now. She sure screams without that sound insulation in there and fresh oil in the blower! No more codes either so fingers crossed everything is back to normal. She does run better that she used to. Much smoother and faster power delivery and acceleration. I guess all those new parts and a complete cleaning and de-gunking of the intercoolers, throttle body, intake components and everything else that came of really makes a difference after almost 10 years!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

All's well then

Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ahh.. can't wait to feel mine after it's all refreshed... (doing the same job) hopefully this weekend.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 AM

You'll love it XJR! Just remember to be careful about those EGR bolts. Don't round them and if you have an extractor on hand all the better!
And all is almost well. Wife was taking the car to work this morning. Get a call from her in the parking lot saying the car is shaking, MIL on and RP. So I'm thinking 'Now what!". She took the other car and I checked it out. Misfires and injector 7 open circuit. Now I was digging around the connections for #7 and all of a sudden the car seemed to almost die as I was poking around. Checked the codes again, and now the entire bank 1 was misfiring! Then realized I had disconnected the harness connector for the bank 1 injectors for better access to work back there. Turns out that stupid red sliding clip to lock the connectors together was broken (those things always break on me). I don't think there is one left on the car working properly that I've had to deal with. Anyway, seem it works itself loose after driving and a heat/cool down cycle or two. Took it apart, blew it out, reconnected, no more problems! So, I'm going to zip tie or tape or whatever to lock it together in place. Just remember when doing this job to make sure ALL the connectors are back together properly! I find all the clips on the connectors seem to have an issue after time and miles to brake just by looking at them!

Also, the blower is still making noise, but it's full of oil and the bearings are good with a new coupler to boot. It's also running perfect, so I am going to stop worrying about it! If it was the rotors knocking or bad bearing I figure it'll get louder and worse over time so I'll just listen for that.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Did you install the coupler correctly? Part of it's function is to absorb shock so there is some type of spring mechanism in there. A number of people have puzzled over exactly how these fit.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:37 AM

Well, the old one I took out had a spring in there, the new one didn't have a spring. The new one did fit perfect. So, is it possible that because the new coupler didn't have the same spring thing in it that this is causing the slight noise I hear? Will this cause any problems, such as the blower destroying itself, or is it just a noise issue?

Edit: So I just did a quick search on here and others are rebuilding the m112 with the green coupler without the spring/clutch thing. Seems that they are holding up just fine so I feel better about it now! If all that happens is a little noise at idle I don't really care. You can't hear it unless the hood is up and your head is close to the blower. Unless this will destroy it, I'll just leave it alone. I don't really want to take the blower off for a third time in two weeks!

Last edited by WinterJag; 08-31-2012 at 11:18 AM.