S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i really need to run premium unleaded fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

Originally Posted by sedakai
because i still haven't heard a solid answer on if mid grade is going to cause a problem with the injectors or plugs. ..

A problem with injectors or plugs....such as clogging or plug deposits? If your injectors clog or the plugs have deposit build-up, it *won't* be a result of lower *octane rating*.

That's as solid of an answer as *I* can muster. Maybe others can do better.

Such problems would likely be the result of *not* using a Top Tier gasoline. Top Tier gasolines meet specific standards of quality, detergent content, etc....none of which have anything to do with *octane rating*.

It's entirely possible to buy a higher octane fuel which doesn't meet the Top Tier quality standards and equally possible to buy a lower octane fuel that does meet the Top Tier quality standards....so don't be fooled by octane numbers alone.

Since you've experimented and found that a mid-range octane works well for you then sticking with a Top Tier gasoline should assuage your worries.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
sedakai (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

WHAT FUN!

Octane tells us what the resistence to ignition due to the heat of compression is. If you run a compression test on non-supercharged engines and you have 160 PSI or less, you can run regular gas. If you are above 160 up to 180 PSI then you need premium.

Retarding the spark works on knocking due to the mixture burning too fast. However it won't stop pre-ignition. To do that on engines with varible cam timing, the intake valve closing gets retarded and closes further past Bottom Dead Center into the compression stroke. That drops your dynamic compression ratio on down. Depending on the amount of available cam timing, the dynamic ratio may drop on down to 7 to 1 or less.

The reason that we are seeing the high compression ratios is that small combustion chambers resist knocking and they run more efficently. Advancing the cam timing gives better gas milage and more torque down low.

Holy pistons are not good.

sedakai (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

Jaguar bothered to spell out in detail in the handbook what fuel to use and why. So, hoping that the PCM will compensate (whether by VCT or anything else) outside the specified parameters looks...... overly optimistic. But you never know till you try it and maybe break it!

For the OP's car, reckon the potential damage would be more than the car is worth?

Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=Mikey;331099]What's that got to do with anything?

Oh- you didn't bother reading a page or so of replies. Never mind. [/quote

Jaguar is notorious for wasting your money by overcharging for simple service. personally im starting to think the difference between 87 and 91 is like splitting hairs. I stopped bothering because its all so opinionated, i haven't seen one post, that is backed by fact, saying running mid grade will do harm to your engine.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Face it, you say you haven't bothered doing the reading and you've got strong, apparently somewhat outrageous, opinions so do as you will. Thankfully I will never be buying a car from you!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Face it, you say you haven't bothered doing the reading and you've got strong, apparently somewhat outrageous, opinions so do as you will.
Agreed. Kinda rude of the OP to ask a question and not bother reading what respondents have to say.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Jaguar is notorious for wasting your money by overcharging for simple service. personally im starting to think the difference between 87 and 91 is like splitting hairs. I stopped bothering because its all so opinionated, i haven't seen one post, that is backed by fact, saying running mid grade will do harm to your engine.
Actually there have been many intelligent posts on both sides, many backed by facts or personal observation. Just run 87 and be done with it.

For the others, are there any other car manufacturers that recommend 87 octane in their turbocharged or supercharged engines? I really don't think Jaguar is alone in their 91 recommendations.

sedakai (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 07:26 PM

This is a Fig Newton of dreamland:

Attached Files
File Type: doc
PRE-IGNITION.doc (100.0 KB, 276 views)
Old 04-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

My long-time old friend, John Dinkel, author of the “Road & Track Illustrated Automotive Dictionary,” offers an authoritative word on the subject: “If a carmaker recommends gasoline with a minimum RON (a method of measuring a fuel’s anti-knock abilities) of 91, fuel from a pump with a rating of 87 or higher can be used”.

My point exactly. Dinkel may tell the world’s worst puns, but knows his stuff when it comes to automotive issues.

Is it worth paying between an extra 25 cents and a dollar-per-gallon in order to access, say, those last 20-or-so horsepower? That’s up to the car’s owner.
++

sedakai (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for a great thread guys! I always enjoy reading the lively debates on here - it's what makes this a great forum. I have and always will run what Jaguar recommends for my car (that being said then, I know a few of you might be willing to buy a car from me in the future...)

Really, what the issue is, is the cost of fuel - which will always cause people to ask if it's ok to run the lower octane fuel. Hence our lively debate. Because really, if higher octane gas were cheap, we wouldnt need to ask these questions. Maybe we should be debating with the government all of their taxes they place on fuel. I know we here in Canada are taxed to death. But alas, no government will be pulling their fuel taxes anytime soon, so we're back to square one - expensive gas.

We drive kick a$$ cars. Let's put kick a$$ fuel in them and get every ounce out of them we can. That's why I bought mine - didn't you?

sedakai (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Face it, you say you haven't bothered doing the reading and you've got strong, apparently somewhat outrageous, opinions so do as you will. Thankfully I will never be buying a car from you!
tried to be nice but why dont you stop flaming my thread troll?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Agreed. Kinda rude of the OP to ask a question and not bother reading what respondents have to say.
thats not what i said maybe you should read a little deeper into my posts as they have obviously misunderstood i stopped reading all of the posts like v8 that amount to jaguar says so lets blindly throw money out

Old 04-03-2011, 10:40 PM

That piece about John Dinkel ends on a funny note.

Max horsepower doesn't come from running the highest octane gas that you can find. It comes from running the lowest octane gas that doesn't detonate in your cylinders. If it detonates, you may wind up with a hole in a piston before the race is over.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plumsauce
My long-time old friend, John Dinkel, author of the “Road & Track Illustrated Automotive Dictionary,” offers an authoritative word on the subject: “If a carmaker recommends gasoline with a minimum RON (a method of measuring a fuel’s anti-knock abilities) of 91, fuel from a pump with a rating of 87 or higher can be used”.

My point exactly. Dinkel may tell the world’s worst puns, but knows his stuff when it comes to automotive issues.
++
And in this case Jag say minimum of 95 RON.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

wow this has gotten out of control. Thank you for sharing your opinions but please if you don't have factual info to back yourself up just stop with the ultimatums. now i would like to say that when it comes to fluids i use only royal purple due to their proven results. a month or two back i decided to just try the cheapest fuel in my car and it ran fine but there was a decrease in power and gas millage. then i went back to premium for a week. after that i tried mid grade and there was literally no noticeable difference in power. since then i have been running premium because i still haven't heard a solid answer on if mid grade is going to cause a problem with the injectors or plugs. I have to admit i skipped over a page of responses because i havent been on in awhile and wanted to just say something after reading sooo many negative responses. i know what the manufacture says but a jaguar mech also told me a new fuel pump installed would be a few thousand....
tried to be nice but why dont you stop flaming my thread troll?
Wow! Ask people's opinion on fuel, get a lot of response, and then accuse one of the more avid contributors a troll?

The majority of people on here are just drivers and enthusiasts. Not auto manufacturers. What people were giving you are their preferences based on personal experience. So, basically you posted up a question then get angry with those that disagree. Not a cool way to treat people that you may need their help in the future. Again, just my opinion, so maybe I'm a troll as well.

I think the overwhelming opinion on here is.... Lower octane gas may not hurt your engine but there is just as little scientific proof. So, really just use what you want.

Again, I chose to follow the manufacturer's recommended fuel requirements. It seems to me that any time I've deviated from them or used low quality (cheap) fuel there has been a service issue. I'm one of those people that live on a real tight budget, so, if it isn't covered by a warranty, I fix it myself. So, based on failed cats, bad EGR systems, dirty intakes, fouled plugs, I find the few pennies saved by deviating from those specs does not pay in the long run...And, no sorry, I don't have a scientific report to back it up...Just lower car repair bills....

K, I'm done....

Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking Gas

I run 93 Octane in ALL my vehicles, even the 2010 Camaro V6, reason is because on that one, I added a custom exhauset, X-pype all the way to the rear, with adding a Performance Programer. I have found that using this gas eliminates, many mechanical and service issues with all my cars, because of that I'm always gonna stay with the higher grade Fuel. Vehicles Run better with it.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
or used low quality (cheap) fuel there has been a service issue. .
Originally Posted by Greenhornet
stay with the higher grade Fuel. Vehicles Run better with it.
I give up too..............

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Gas

Use whatever you like. You'll be more satisfied with your choice.

Originally Posted by Mikey
I give up too..............

Old 04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Actually there have been many intelligent posts on both sides, many backed by facts or personal observation. Just run 87 and be done with it.

For the others, are there any other car manufacturers that recommend 87 octane in their turbocharged or supercharged engines? I really don't think Jaguar is alone in their 91 recommendations.

My ex has a Chrysler Crossfire (Mercedes drive train, normaly aspirated) and it specifies 91 or higher. Also, the R isn't alone in requireing premium. Our 3.0 also requires it...according to Jaguar

Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenhornet;331350 [/quote
I have found that using this gas eliminates, many mechanical and service issues with all my cars

Such as...... ?

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: do i really need to run premium unleaded fuel?