S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you stop using premium fuel at $4 gallon? $5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
You see our taxes.... and still we run a deficit (*)

(*) deficit = annually the government spends more than it gets, they're now trying to reduce the annual deficit though not to a surplus!
result: roughly a trillion GBP (that's over $1.5 trillion) national debt
In the same boat here... I heard a talk show host describe the US government budget in terms of a household. Made me laugh and sick at the same time...

Annual Income Net (after taxes): $24,000.00

Annual Household Expenses: $48,000.000

Current Credit Card Debt: $140,000.00

Oy Vay...

Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I read that someone at the top of the Chinese government said "please don't decline too quickly", can't recall if it was about the USA (I think so) or us

Old 03-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search on "Engine Fault/DSC Not Available/Parkbrake Fault" Apparently there is a separate Controller for Emmissions that checks the engine, transmission, wheel speed sensors, etc. and if it doesn't get the correct response from any system, displays the "Engine Fault, DSC Not Available/ Parkbrake" fault on the display of an 05 S-Type. The intake tract is extremely sensitive on Jaguars, so once I cleaned the Throttle Body, the MAF, and installed a new Air Filter, the faults went away. Before doing these things I couldn't drive 3 miles without the car shutting down and requiring a restart. Its still good now. I suspect a recent switch to Regular fuel contributed to the problem, so I'm back to Premium.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

There is no such thing. Wherever did you find that out???

Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Default Wherever did you find that out? F U

Here's where I found that out and saved myself $1200. You got a problem with that? What do you sell throttle bodies? Or are you a Jag dealer? I'm just trying to share my positive experiences from this site and maybe prevent others from getting ripped off...

(Following is pasted from other thread mentioned in my previous post)

I had the same problem and solved it by cleaning the mass airflow sensor and throttle body - that solved the problem for a while (See previous posts). On 11/8/11 the problem reappeared and I finally took the car to an exotic car expert (over 30 years working on jags, ferarri, lambo, astins, etc) and he informed me that the "engine fault, dsc not available and parking brake fault" issue is common and has nothing to do with the mass airflow or throttle body. I was explained the following: there is a separate diagnostic computer system that monitors emissions (the system is contained in the same wiring harness as the other wirings). This system sends out a signal to the engine then to the transmission then to the wheels. The purpose is to make sure that those items are performing with specified parameters as set by emission standards. Typically what happens is if the signal does not make the proper loop, the system starts shutting down various items (i.e thus check engine light, DSC not available, parking brake fault, etc) and places the car in limp mode. The solution is to pull the codes and to test each module in the system to find which module is causing the problem (i.e. not sending the signal so as to complete the loop). The system has been installed on a lot of cars (not just jags) for the past 10 years. Unfortunately the problem has been occuring mostly in jaguars. I hope this helf--ps. I will provide an update once I get my 2004 S-Type back (I just took it to the shop yesterday 11/9/11 for the "engine fault, DSC Not Available and Parking Brake Fault)
1986 jag xjs v12 68K miles
vroom vroom
Life is like a dogsled team - unless you are the lead dog the view never changes!

Now go back to your quai-intellectual discussion of world gas prices and F-off.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member

Well that "expert" lied or the person who posted that wasn't listening. Have a look at the Electrical Guide if you don't think I'm right. There is no such separate diagnostic unit and nor is there any need for one.

No I don't sell such things. BTW, you have 8 posts and know nothing about me, clearly.

Last edited by JagV8; 03-15-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

JagV8 is correct.

Even if there was such a 'module', the use of regular fuel vs. premium cannot possibly be the cause. The fuel is injected far downstream of the MAF or throttle body.

Again, the only difference between low and high octane fuel is the octane rating. Nothing else.

I searched around and found the thread that is being quoted:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...p-13153/page5/

For brevity, the link starts at post 161. Note that the 'advice' that was quoted above was quickly dismissed as being gobbledygook.

Last edited by Mikey; 03-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Jeff,

I finally got some good readings using Sunoco Ultra (93 Octane). It seems I found a sweet spot using it and in coordination using the Sport Mode switch. I use the Sport Mode switch below 50 mph and then go to Normal above 50 mph. By doing these two things my mpg improved about 3-5 mpg. On my morning commutes I've been seeing readings between 25 and 27 mpg. I was rather surprised actually as I had been seeing 21-22 mpg previously.

Mike

Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by carelm
Jeff,

I finally got some good readings using Sunoco Ultra (93 Octane). It seems I found a sweet spot using it and in coordination using the Sport Mode switch. I use the Sport Mode switch below 50 mph and then go to Normal above 50 mph. By doing these two things my mpg improved about 3-5 mpg. On my morning commutes I've been seeing readings between 25 and 27 mpg. I was rather surprised actually as I had been seeing 21-22 mpg previously.

Mike
See, I see the same thing.. My guess is it is two unrelated things..

First... These cars love premium (higher octane). They run better and that translates to "not working as hard" to make the power you want. I get the same thing when mine (the 300) is tuned.. Makes more power therefore driven the way I do gets better mileage.

Now the unrelated thing.....

The Sunoco is probably not blended with alcohol as much as cheaper generic brands.. my experience as shown... cheaper gas that is blended more with alcohol (usually ethanol) results in lower MPG. I know they all have some.. Just from what I've read on ethanol, cheaper brands tend to push the limit allowed by the government. Another reason to drop the government subsidy on the stuff....

Oh, boy I feel it coming....

Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
See, I see the same thing.. My guess is it is two unrelated things..

First... These cars love premium (higher octane). They run better and that translates to "not working as hard" to make the power you want. I get the same thing when mine (the 300) is tuned.. Makes more power therefore driven the way I do gets better mileage.

Now the unrelated thing.....

The Sunoco is probably not blended with alcohol as much as cheaper generic brands.. my experience as shown... cheaper gas that is blended more with alcohol (usually ethanol) results in lower MPG. I know they all have some.. Just from what I've read on ethanol, cheaper brands tend to push the limit allowed by the government. Another reason to drop the government subsidy on the stuff....

Jeff,

In the DC area all the stations use ethanol (10%). At least that's what they put on the pumps. VA is pretty **** when it comes to using ethanol.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM

You guys are doing this just to wind me up, right? I also wonder why some of you get such poor gas mileage. I regularly get 31-33 mpg (imperial gallons) at steady state cruise. This is irrespective of octane rating of course as there is no detonation to interfere with ignition timing under such conditions.

E10 typically will net me a loss of about 3% of the mileage or 1 or 2 mpg. Pretty hard to measure such small changes.

Last edited by Mikey; 03-16-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
You guys are doing this just to wind me up, right? I also wonder why some of you get such poor gas mileage. I regularly get 31-33 mpg (imperial gallons) at steady state cruise. This is irrespective of octane rating of course as there is no detonation to interfere with ignition timing under such conditions.

E10 typically will net me a loss of about 3% of the mileage or 1 or 2 mpg. Pretty hard to measure such small changes.
Imperial gallons and Canadian dollars...there's a match made in Heaven.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Our dollar is typically worth more than the US $ right now- and I used gallons as the metric system we normally use seems to confuse more than help. The car does not read out in US gallons.

33 mpg Imperial = 27.5 ish US mpg.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Mikey
I regularly get 31-33 mpg (imperial gallons) at steady state cruise. This is irrespective of octane rating of course as there is no detonation to interfere with ignition timing under such conditions.

Your great MPG is because you have a V8... I've always said the V8 gets better MPG....

I'm just really trying this morning......

Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Your great MPG is because you have a V8... I've always said the V8 gets better MPG....

I'm just really trying this morning......

Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 PM

I have the V8 S-Type and being a busy Realtor, I drive somewhere around 50,000-70,000km/year.

In Toronto, premium gas is 18.9 cents/litre more than regular. That's 71.1 cents/US gallon more. Add that all up and it's $11.04/tank more, and I fill up at least 3 times a week.

To all who say that it's a maximum of $200/year - yeah maybe to all you home/work drivers. But for me, this is a HUGE difference. The money I spend on fuel alone can add up to a regular person's yearly income.

MIKEY - are you sure I'm safe to use regular gas if I'm not racing around, and just driving like a normal human being - with 2-3 people in my car with me? Please answer in detail if possible.

BTW this is my first post on here as a forum member. Just got the car.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
also,(as mentioned here before), would adding somthing like Alcohol injection device be of any help , only used at over 75% throttle opening, where higher octane would be required?

of course there would be the cost of Alcohol,but most are adjustable for amount used.

i have tried E85 fuel and it just sucks it up before you can get home.

just had a brain flash!! maybe put E85 in Alcohol resiviuor, much cheaper than Straight alky in small tank.

anyone have input info on this subject??E
Ron
Putting e85 into any sort of alc. water injection is a very bad idea. This is a safety concern. All that stuff fitted in the engine bay with push to connect fittings is bad news. This is why you should never run a straight methanol solution in theses setups. What happens if a tube melts and is spraying a stream of e85 all over the hot exhaust manifold or such.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Hmm, let's see...

JagV8 once estimated that the mpg difference between 94 and 91 premium could be as much as 11% (from 27 to 24 mpg). Mikey estimates that E10 could net at least another 3% reduction. Regular gas is 87-ish octane, will detonate sooner than premium and certainly gives worse mileage than any premium. Ethanol is mildly corrosive to aluminum, methanol more so.

I want my STR to provide power as and when requested, and I'm going to protect my investment with the best grade of premium I can find. Preferably without any added alcohol. Screw the extra cost.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Robinb
I want my STR to provide power as and when requested, and I'm going to protect my investment with the best grade of premium I can find. Preferably without any added alcohol. Screw the extra cost.
Can't speak about Canada, but in the US your chances of finding Alcohol free fuel are less than the odds of seeing a purple unicorn on your way to work...

From what I hear, the only place rumored to have "pure" gasoline was a handful of marinas, but that was years ago...

Old 09-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I combat high fuel prices by riding my bike to work 2-3 times a week. Plus my company gives me incentives to ride my bike at least 20% of the time.

Quick Reply: Do you stop using premium fuel at $4 gallon? $5?