S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you stop using premium fuel at $4 gallon? $5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinb

I am at a loss to understand the statement that octane is not related to fuel quality - octane is THE measure of quality. Within reason, everything else about gasoline IS identical.

Anyway, it was good to see everyone's opinion.
Octane rating is strictly a measure of resistance to detonation. Nothing more, nothing less- one attribute/characteristic only. No connection to Reid Vapour pressure, flame front speed, ethanol content, lower heating value, cleaning additive content or composition, antioxidants, stabilizers, etc, etc. I'm surprised to see statements to the contrary.

I do not totally disagree with your generalizations of detonation and pre-ignition but it must be understood that each normally exists independently of the other and without any inherent connection. One frequently exists without the other, in other words. No one here is advocating operating an engine with any measure of detonation for even a brief period even if they 'could get away with it'.

Yes, varying opinions are what make civil discussions enjoyable.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 10,590 Likes on 6,995 Posts

Like JimC64 said on page #1.

We are sitting at $1.68/litre here, and have been for a looooong time.

ALL my/our Jags get our 98 Premium, no exceptions.

A blown piston, overheated engine, whatever, is just not worth the brain cells to consider the lesser fuel.

Then consider the "drinking time" you are going to miss out on whilst you repair that engine, NAH, too stressful.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Spinall-

There's a simple reason why octane ratings of gas sold at high altitude are lower than at sea level. The air is thinner resulting in peak cylinder pressures. This means that the potential for detonation is reduced as is the requirement for octane enhancing additives.

Keep in mind that octane levels have nothing to do with gasoline 'quality', 'purity' or levels of other additives.

Even children in school here know that they sell lower octane gas beacuse of the elevation, and how it makes normal cars detonate less.

I'm not quite sure why you were trying to make your self feel smarter, but I made no reference that said lower grades of gasoline had different additives or was of a different make up.

What I was referring to was that when modifying a car to run more boost from the turbo or supercharger, 91 octane has a propensity to detonate. Thats exactly what the gasoline rating is, it's ability to resist detonation. In that regard, it makes 91 gas "crappy"

Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spinall4
Even children in school here know that they sell lower octane gas beacuse of the elevation, and how it makes normal cars detonate less.

I'm not quite sure why you were trying to make your self feel smarter, but I made no reference that said lower grades of gasoline had different additives or was of a different make up.

What I was referring to was that when modifying a car to run more boost from the turbo or supercharger, 91 octane has a propensity to detonate. Thats exactly what the gasoline rating is, it's ability to resist detonation. In that regard, it makes 91 gas "crappy"
No offence intended at all, and there was no way I could have known you and apparently all school children in your area understand why your gas is lower in octane than other areas- and that it makes no real difference.

Perhaps it was this statement with the reference to 'crap' that threw me:

It's simply the greedy gas stations can get away with selling 91 as premium beacuse we are so high above sea level (4400 ft give or take) so most car owners realize 91 octane is crap as most cars that are not FI run ok on it.
Being that S-types only require 91 octane at sea level, using it at your elevation is actually as waste. I'm fairly sure you could use 89 without encountering detonation as usually there a 2 point decrease calculated for your altitude or greater. Whether a car has FI or not has no bearing.

Seems your statement might have confused George also:

Originally Posted by androulakis
Wait wait... 4400 feet elevation so your down like 20% on power, AND 91 octane to pull timing back? WOW. I bet an XJR feels like an XJ8 in the Rockies. No wonder all the fast cars are on the east coast....
As noted above, 91 is only required at sea level so at 4400 feet there is no possibility of timing being pulled back.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM

No offence intended at all, and there was no way I could have known you and apparently all school children in your area understand why your gas is lower in octane than other areas- and that it makes no real difference.

Perhaps it was this statement with the reference to 'crap' that threw me:

Being that S-types only require 91 octane at sea level, using it at your elevation is actually as waste. I'm fairly sure you could use 89 without encountering detonation as usually there a 2 point decrease calculated for your altitude or greater. Whether a car has FI or not has no bearing.

Seems your statement might have confused George also:

As noted above, 91 is only required at sea level so at 4400 feet there is no possibility of timing being pulled back.
I did not mean to be so rude, my apologies for that.

That sentence was supposed to say " so most car owners don't realize that 91 sucks, beacuse ..."

I was typing response quickly on the iPad and it got me.

I was simply pointing out that 91 is not enough when turning the boost up to a huge amount, say 30 psi. Not at the stock level beacuse none of my cars are stock.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 PM

I did not mean to be so rude, my apologies for that.

That sentence was supposed to say " so most car owners don't realize that 91 sucks, beacuse ..."

I was typing response quickly on the iPad and it got me.

I was simply pointing out that 91 is not enough when turning the boost up to a huge amount, say 30 psi. Not at the stock level beacuse none of my cars are stock.
No harm done, I've got thick skin to match my skull. Your sig '2005 S type R. Stock for now ' might have added to the confusion.

Is it time for the bunny with a pancake? I found him hiding away:

Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

LOL Group Hug Time, nice....

PS guys, we are now at the equivalent of $11/gal.

And generally I am at level C!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum and you sure picked a doozy of a topic for your first post! There's plenty of first person testimonials from owners (including myself) who have operated their S-types or other Jags with similar engines on 87 octane with no negative effects. This includes persons who used low octane for a very long term simply because they didn't know any different. I'd suggest you give it a try and see if you notice any reduction in power or mileage.

One thing sticks out- you mention an 18.9 cent difference in price between regular and super. That's got to be a typo. In looking at on line gas prices for your area, I see only a variation of 8-11 cents per litre. That would mean a difference of around 6 bucks per tank full or with 3 tanks per week, an extra $900 per year.

If it helps you feel any better, gas prices in Toronto are well below national average with $1.27/L for regular. I'm near Montreal right now and average prices are $1.41/L, more expensive than your super.
Thanks Mikey! I'm already searching and finding lots of useful posts on here. It really does help to understand what these cars are all about, and what to expect when you can read up on other owners experiences.

Perhaps I should have clarified. The 18.9 cents difference is 94 octane which in my area is only sold at Petro Canada locations which were previously Sunoco, and also at Shell. Yesterday I filled up at Esso, which their premium gas is 91 octane at 15.9 cents more than 87 octane. I paid $1.43 for it when 87 was going for $1.27. Today it dropped again to 125.9! At that difference its close to $1500/year more than using 87. At 94 octane that difference is almost $1800 per year at three fill ups per week.

I'm familiar with the websites you're talking about but they often reference the best pricing scenarios. This is a big city... in the outskirts of it had prices are as much as 3-4 cents per litre less........ but that can be a 1.5 hour drive. Where I am the spread between octane levels are 18.9 cents per litre.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Oh by the way.... after filling up with 91 octane fuel I'm experiencing a misfire on cylinder 2 (obd code p0302). Interesting coincidence. Although I know its likely a coil or an injector, do you guys think its because I didn't drive the distance to find 94 octane gas? I was running low and that was an extra 10-15 mins away from my location.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by zakizzy
Oh by the way.... after filling up with 91 octane fuel I'm experiencing a misfire on cylinder 2 (obd code p0302). Interesting coincidence. Although I know its likely a coil or an injector, do you guys think its because I didn't drive the distance to find 94 octane gas? I was running low and that was an extra 10-15 mins away from my location.
@zak...... Please stop stirring up the pot.... LOL

Nothing to do with octane.. Do a search here on miss-fire codes... Lots of reading.. (Hint... Step one, move coils and see if the miss follows)...

Oh... Boy....

Mikey... Sit down bud, drink a cold one, then finish packing....

Oh, and thanks for getting my back over in "X" land....

Last edited by JOsworth; 09-21-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: need to go back to school for grammar lessons...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

personally at $4.20 a gallon for 93 octane in Michigan, i could care less about the $0.20 difference, as long as my cat drives smoothly

Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Safi
personally at $4.20 a gallon for 93 octane in Michigan, i could care less about the $0.20 difference, as long as my cat drives smoothly
Agreed.... but for us here its an extra 76 cents per gallon! Premium is at $5.60 / gal

Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
@zak...... Please stop stirring up the pot.... LOL

Nothing to do with octane.. Do a search here on miss-fire codes... Lots of reading.. (Hint... Step one, move coils and see if the miss follows)...

Oh... Boy....

Mikey... Sit down bud, drink a cold one, then finish packing....

Oh, and thanks for getting my back over in "X" land....
Lol true. Yes I'm having the coils checked in the morning. Injectors too. Just a strange coincidence is all. Day if, you know what I mean??

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Agreed.... but for us here its an extra 76 cents per gallon! Premium is at $5.60 / gal
and if you fill up with 15 gals, that is $11.40 more a tank full.

that would be enough for me to change.......

OOOOPPPPS... now I'm stirring up the pot....

Old 09-21-2012, 05:27 PM

No harm done, I've got thick skin to match my skull. Your sig '2005 S type R. Stock for now ' might have added to the confusion.

Is it time for the bunny with a pancake? I found him hiding away:
I guess it's time for a signature update. The s type is the closest to stock of all my cars.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Thanks Mikey! I'm already searching and finding lots of useful posts on here. It really does help to understand what these cars are all about, and what to expect when you can read up on other owners experiences.

Perhaps I should have clarified. The 18.9 cents difference is 94 octane which in my area is only sold at Petro Canada locations which were previously Sunoco, and also at Shell. Yesterday I filled up at Esso, which their premium gas is 91 octane at 15.9 cents more than 87 octane. I paid $1.43 for it when 87 was going for $1.27. Today it dropped again to 125.9! At that difference its close to $1500/year more than using 87. At 94 octane that difference is almost $1800 per year at three fill ups per week.

I'm familiar with the websites you're talking about but they often reference the best pricing scenarios. This is a big city... in the outskirts of it had prices are as much as 3-4 cents per litre less........ but that can be a 1.5 hour drive. Where I am the spread between octane levels are 18.9 cents per litre.
Glad we didn't scare you off with our little chest-beating exercise. The moderators usually step in just before we launch into full knuckle dragging poo-flinging mode, or worse.

I guess by now you've realized there's no reason or benefit in using anything higher than 91 octane so that helps with part of your issue. I can only offer you further comfort by stating that your premium at $1.43 is still cheaper than the regular in Montreal...........

One week to go as of this writing.

Last edited by Mikey; 09-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been using regular.. 87 octane for sometime now.. However, I do use additives/detergents, every couple of months, just to clean out the fuel injection system, I have not seen any difference in performance. I know in other cars I've had, if it knocks... well go up to a level where you don't get the knocking.

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Hi Harry-

Thanks for your comments on the octane subject.

There's no need to add anything to the gas, it's already got all the detergents required. High compression engines don't produce any more deposits or clog up fuel injections systems any more than low compression engines.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use 91 if I can find it, otherwise 93 - can't hurt the car. My sympathy to our friends in Canada and the Mother Country; our $4 hi-test looks cheap by their standards.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Harry-

Thanks for your comments on the octane subject.

There's no need to add anything to the gas, it's already got all the detergents required. High compression engines don't produce any more deposits or clog up fuel injections systems any more than low compression engines.
Mikey,
Yes, I understand that, though I've been told that the "regular" gas may not put detergents in the gas, unlike the "premium" ones typically do.

My mechanic said it's a good idea to every once in a while use the additional detergents to clean out the fuel system well and keep things in tip top shape.

Quick Reply: Do you stop using premium fuel at $4 gallon? $5?