S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think I should mention the replaced motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Do you think I should mention the replaced motor?

Hi y'all:
I've decided to sell. It's just not a practical car for my lifestyle or climate. So I've listed it on Ebay.

My question is, do I mention the replaced-motor? Nobody likes a car with a story, but the motor has only 72k miles, to the cars' 125k.

As of right now, I have not noted it, though some have recognized it and asked me. I don't wish to hide anything.... but I also want to see the car sell for what it's truly worth.

LINK

Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Yes. Describe the car as honestly as possible. No harm with a lower mileage engine. When you are at 100K plus miles no car has much value.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 252 Likes on 169 Posts

+1, with that sort of mileage the new motor would only help wring more money out of the sale, the cars themselves are pretty robust and age well, knowing some of the major stuffs been done would put a buyer at ease,

Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

lie of omission...

be honest, don't make the next guy feel like he got jerked around.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

If you were a buyer .... wouldn't you want to know?

In this instance, I see the replacement motor as a plus and not a minus as far as value is concerned on a 125K miles vehicle.

Graham

Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 665 Likes on 573 Posts

Fully agree with all comments posted above.

By being up front and totally honest you are more likely to realise a better price for the vehicle and more importantly, secure a quicker sale.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM

hmmmm.... thanks for the responses. I did not look at it the same way y'all are.
I'm a guy who tries to be VERY honest in the way I present a used car. Mine are ALWAYS better when I sell them than they were when I bought them.

However; I'm also a guy who tries to be realistic about the likelihood of recouping any investment I make in repairs or improvements. I hate it when a seller goes on and on about the money they've sunk into a car, as if that will convince me that the car is worth more than it really is. I did not want to do that.

Thanks for the perspective on this. I've added a paragraph to my listing about the work.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Exactly- the 'numbers matching' lunacy prevalent on some cars thankfully has not yet hit our S-types.

Originally Posted by GGG
If you were a buyer .... wouldn't you want to know?

In this instance, I see the replacement motor as a plus and not a minus as far as value is concerned on a 125K miles vehicle.

Graham

Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

I bought a previous car partly because it had a newer engine than the rest of the car. Ran for ages and was a real bargain. I can't say other buyers would take the same view but you only need one who does.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by bobby
lie of omission...

be honest, don't make the next guy feel like he got jerked around.

huh.... not sure I like anybody calling me a liar. You really think somebody's gonna feel like they got "jerked-around" because they don't know they got a newer engine than what they thought they got?

yup... now I'm sure of it: I don't like NOBODY calling me a liar.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know anyone who would enjoy being called a liar. It looks like you did the right thing though.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by McJaguar
yup... now I'm sure of it: I don't like NOBODY calling me a liar.
Nobody likes being called a liar. Yet that is what you were proposing to do by not being completely honest. Thankfully, you made the right choice (which is always the harder choice).

Do what a professional car salesman would do - put a positive spin on having a newer, lower mileage engine. Most potential buyers will appreciate your honesty, perceive you as trustworthy, and possibly be MORE inclined to buy your car. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

VERY much a plus having a lower-mileage engine. It was the clincher on the XJ8L I recently purchased - in this case twigged to by just two words in the CarFax report, as it was an 'official' (factory/dealer) do, not third-party.

That said, an important part of the 'plus' is that it has been in the vehicle long enough (time AND miles) w/o problems so as to prove it was a sound engine and a properly done installation.

I'd not have touched one done but a few thousand miles and a few months ago. Unproven situation. Could be a sub-par engine and/or a rude cobble of a swap being disposed of precisely because it had NOT come out well.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts

McJaguar, I know you have had a tough time with the car, but if I were you, I would pull the eBay ad, wait for awhile and then re-do. Your original wording was positive, but your late addition immediately makes one wonder "why didn't he say that before?".

Also, remove a couple of statements...

(a) The one that suggests the would-be buyer may be some kind of scammer when making payment. Because of Paypal's charges, I doubt that you will use Paypal for more than the deposit, but if you do, DO NOT allow the buyer to come round and pick up the car, because that would expose you to risk.

(b) The statement about no warranty being available - unnecessary, and has negative connotations.

My .02 cents worth...

Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by McJaguar
Hi y'all:
I've decided to sell. It's just not a practical car for my lifestyle or climate. So I've listed it on Ebay.

My question is, do I mention the replaced-motor? Nobody likes a car with a story, but the motor has only 72k miles, to the cars' 125k.

As of right now, I have not noted it, though some have recognized it and asked me. I don't wish to hide anything.... but I also want to see the car sell for what it's truly worth.

LINK
Hi McJaguar, I'm sorry in advance if you are offended by what I say (certainly not meant that way) it seems to me from the wording of your advert that you have fallen out of love with it. That is not at all a good image to present.

You have a very nice example of a very special car but you use phrases like "..
seems to have been serviced (or replaced?) by a previous owner, because it works flawlessly"

"
The 6-spd Auto Transmission shifts cleanly and crisply, and offers not a hint of the "squonk" noise that some STR's suffer from."

Negative, negative, negative, - if it were mine I would list the car's attributes like this:

• Good service history (assuming it has paperwork)
  • 125,000miles
  • Replacement 70,000ml motor installed at my expense 6 months ago and runs perfectly
  • 6-speed works perfectly
  • CATS system suspension works perfectly
  • DVD set-up with headrest screens
  • etc
  • etc etc
Bad points:
  • None!

You need to have more confidence in your car if you are to inspire purchasing confidence in others.

The very best of luck to you

Dave