S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a picture of an 03+ Stype with the door panel off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Does anyone have a picture of an 03+ Stype with the door panel off?

Hey Guys,

Just want to get an idea of what the inside of the door looks like.. I need to take it off to replace my mirror because of a minor fender bender. (Guy went to pass on the right in the shoulder, and miraculously JUST clipped my mirror).

But while I'm in there, I'm thinking of replacing the speakers on both sides, So I want to see what it looks like. Are the speakers components or just coaxials? Would a normal 6.5" speaker bolt in? Or is there going to be fabrication required?

Thanks in advance,

George

Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you've got the premium sound system the speakers are absolutely cr*p. The speakers are 8x6" so if you want to put 6.5's in you'll have to make your own adapter frame or maybe you can even buy these ready made?

Take the door panel off yourself and have a look. There are only 2 small screws that sit under a rubber mat inside the door pull, once you've removed these eveything else just clips off. Apart from the door card the plastic surround that sits around the chrome door release handle also needs pulling off but in order not to break this surrounds do the following.

1. remove the 2 screws
2. pull door card at the bottom until it pops out
3. pull the card off in the other places then you'll see the plastic door release surround also pop off...remove this then unpop in the places that haven't yet released.
4. remove harness plug and you're done

Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

I know the earlier s-types used the ford 6x8 oval speakers, but I don't know if that carried over to the facelifted ones in 03+ which used the jaguar radio and and hvac controls rather than the ford stuff. I had an impression that they were possibly 6.5", as per someone else on the forum. Wonder if there is a definitive answer...

That's why I was wondering. I had a terrible time with the door panels on my x-type. I broke half the clips, mostly because I was impatient, and didnt realize how fragile they were. This time i'm going to take it slow, and use a panel puller tool to try to minimize breakage.

Jag says to pull the surround around the lock out before you try to pull the panel, but we'll see.

Thanks for the advice.

George

Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
I know the earlier s-types used the ford 6x8 oval speakers, but I don't know if that carried over to the facelifted ones in 03+

Jag says to pull the surround around the lock out before you try to pull the panel, but we'll see.

George
Have removed 2 of my panels in the last couple of days, my method is better, you're far less likely to break them and my car is late 2003 with 8x6's.

I've removed these panels twice without breaking any of the clips, they're the best quality door card clips that I've come across TBH, the guide pins are also top notch.

Last edited by redzed; 01-18-2010 at 01:00 PM.