S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone use the left side of the J shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016 | 02:57 AM
|
Default Does anyone use the left side of the J shifter?

I was wondering, if anyone uses the left side of the shifter and if it makes the car more responsive, etc. or will it just damage the transmission? I've only used the left side to keep the car in 2nd or 3rd when going up and down steeper hills. Just curious. I'm referring to the ZF 6 speed transmission.

Old 12-27-2016 | 03:02 AM
Veteran Member

A small number have reported using it before - Search if interested.

Won't cause damage.

People tend to use Sport instead, though. If bothered. And for downhill, the brakes

For uphill, the car will choose the best gear (unless there's a smallish fault that isn't setting codes - check fuel trims! and after that check/change trans fluid).

Last edited by JagV8; 12-27-2016 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2016 | 07:18 AM

I use it every now and then, just for fun.

Not sure why people think it might damage a transmission.

Old 12-27-2016 | 07:52 AM
pab
Veteran Member

I use it when I'm running an autocross since I want to try to limit the transmission shifting. I leave it in 2nd, but wish I could keep it from dropping into 1st on tight corners. That would minimize wheel spin when exiting the corners.

Other than that, nah
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
2015 JCNA National Slalom Champion Class M
Current: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 12-28-2016 | 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Mine (and other STRs) have accelerometers and won't change gear then. (Well, I believe it won't as I've not tried your exact stretch of road!)

Old 12-28-2016 | 12:01 PM

I tried it once, but that was it. Its an automatic, why bother, I don't want to pretend that its a manual.

I don't even use the sport button! ( Although sometimes it lights up as if it were pushed, for some reason...)

Could be useful for a steep descent, incline, or sketchy road surface, etc but that's it.

Old 12-28-2016 | 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
From: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)

I almost always drive in Sport but will frequently use 2-4 for better control of shifts in stop/go or heavy traffic, and for speed control on declines.

Old 12-28-2016 | 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

i use mine a lot, our roads are tight & twisty and it saves waiting for an auto down shift exiting the corner , more intant grunt = more instant grin .
i find manual shifting works best when sport is not selected if you want short shifts , as sport promotes shifts at peak revs and not always when you ask for them .

Old 12-28-2016 | 09:44 PM

I used mine on the 04 XJ8 with a pesky P0783 code (3/4 gear load) the only way I could use the car was using the J gate side, let off gas manually shift up to 4 then I was good.

I traded in the car though for a 17 Nissan Murano and got top trade in dollar. Good thing they drove it in the dealer lot...lol

Old 12-29-2016 | 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

All the time! THough I don't log much 1st Pilot time in the S-Types. Therein lies the problem: My X300's have 4-speed autoboxes with 4th on both sides of the J at the bottom. As all y'all know, in the post facelift S-type, 6th is on the right, 5th on the left. Meaning, in my rare jaunts in the S-types, I'll be cruising down the freeway at 70-75 mph and suddenly realize I'm still in 5th!

Why? To address the primary shortcoming of any autobox; that it (always) shifts to the next higher gear when holding serve or downshifting is clearly indicated! Primary application is in Stop-n-Go freeway traffic, which we have plenty of in the DFW area. Speeds vary from stopped to 20 or 30 mph, perhaps ranging up to 50-60 at times. So you set off from a stop, and regardless whether prevailing speed is 10, 20, or 30 mph, inevitably, the traffic in front of you all get on the binders. As soon as you let off the accelerator, the autobox feels entitled to shift to the next higher (or even the highest) gear, drastically reducing your expected rate of deceleration, requiring you to hit the binders as well. I've never liked that. So I hold it in 2nd (wish 1st were available!) up to 2k or 3k revs (maybe 4k if feeling like it) and most likely, you won't choose the next higher gear as there will be a deceleration in front of you. Once the way ahead starts to clear up, I just pull it full aft (and right, if I happen to remember I'm in an S-type) and let it shift per its protocols.

Additionally, I find it useful if, for instance, I'm overtaking a line of rock-haulers out on the freeway and some idiot (See Clarkson/May definition of Peugeot drivers) wanders into my lane at a leisurely pace, just drop down a gear or two rather than burn brake material.

I hardly ever use it for manual shifting under brisk acceleration; I leave that to the autobox and sport mode. I use it to control the rate of deceleration.

Old 12-29-2016 | 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
All the time! THough I don't log much 1st Pilot time in the S-Types. Therein lies the problem: My X300's have 4-speed autoboxes with 4th on both sides of the J at the bottom. As all y'all know, in the post facelift S-type, 6th is on the right, 5th on the left. Meaning, in my rare jaunts in the S-types, I'll be cruising down the freeway at 70-75 mph and suddenly realize I'm still in 5th!

Why? To address the primary shortcoming of any autobox; that it (always) shifts to the next higher gear when holding serve or downshifting is clearly indicated! Primary application is in Stop-n-Go freeway traffic, which we have plenty of in the DFW area. Speeds vary from stopped to 20 or 30 mph, perhaps ranging up to 50-60 at times. So you set off from a stop, and regardless whether prevailing speed is 10, 20, or 30 mph, inevitably, the traffic in front of you all get on the binders. As soon as you let off the accelerator, the autobox feels entitled to shift to the next higher (or even the highest) gear, drastically reducing your expected rate of deceleration, requiring you to hit the binders as well. I've never liked that. So I hold it in 2nd (wish 1st were available!) up to 2k or 3k revs (maybe 4k if feeling like it) and most likely, you won't choose the next higher gear as there will be a deceleration in front of you. Once the way ahead starts to clear up, I just pull it full aft (and right, if I happen to remember I'm in an S-type) and let it shift per its protocols.

Additionally, I find it useful if, for instance, I'm overtaking a line of rock-haulers out on the freeway and some idiot (See Clarkson/May definition of Peugeot drivers) wanders into my lane at a leisurely pace, just drop down a gear or two rather than burn brake material.

I hardly ever use it for manual shifting under brisk acceleration; I leave that to the autobox and sport mode. I use it to control the rate of deceleration.

+1

I use it everyday, particularly when my daily commute route hits stop and go traffic. Maybe it just gives me something to do. I don't find it too useful for brisk acceleration and it seems worse when '5' is selected. Prefer '4' or 'D'.

Old 01-04-2017 | 03:52 AM

All the time, for engine braking going down hills and decelerating for freeway off-ramps.