S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does temperature really matter when measuring ZF ATF level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
More likely the removal of the dipstick / fill tube was calculated to drive more ATF service business to the various dealerships in which these ZF units were sold....

The problem is that most Jaguar dealership service departments know far less about these ZF units than we do....
One of the most common things I used to hear from the field was very creative conspiracy theories about why we (the very evil OEM) did things a certain way. It usually involved idiots in engineering against the heartless money grubbing financial guys. Front office always sided with the money guys because the only thing that mattered was short term gains for the shareholders. There were banners all over the shop and offices reading 'make it last just till the warranty expires.'

The transmission was originally said to be 'sealed for life', which we now know means around 80-100K miles. 'Sealed for life' doesn't sound like a secret plot to drive business to shops.

Jag by no means is perfect and is still stuck in the past with some maintenance tasks like semi annual brake fluid changes, but I think their strategy with the lack of a dipstick was sound.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

More likely the removal of the dipstick / fill tube was calculated to drive more ATF service business to the various dealerships in which these ZF units were sold
I doubt Jaguar gave it much thought. They want to sell cars and do the minimum of anything complex after that. Simple servicing only (engine oil, filters, brakes, ...). And repeat with the next car model.

Trans work - of no interest to them. Not important to their financials at all.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Received 8,150 Likes on 4,916 Posts

MOST vehicle owners these days don't even change their own oil or check the air pressure in the tires so WHY would anyone consider checking the fluid level in the gearbox??????????????????????????????????????

No reason to waste money on something like convenient ways to perform functions that people DO NOT PERFORM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cars seem to be more and more like APPLIANCES that NOBODY understands. They get from here-to-there and that is just fine with most.

Just me thinking out loud.

bob gauff

Old 12-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

You're right

Many people over here don't even change a blown bulb.

It got so bad the government changed the driving test so people have to open the bonnet (hood) and be able to identify things like brake fluid reservoir and dipstick.

In 10-20 years at least a proportion of the population will be as good as that...

Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
MOST vehicle owners these days don't even change their own oil or check the air pressure in the tires so WHY would anyone consider checking the fluid level in the gearbox??????????????????????????????????????

No reason to waste money on something like convenient ways to perform functions that people DO NOT PERFORM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cars seem to be more and more like APPLIANCES that NOBODY understands. They get from here-to-there and that is just fine with most.

Just me thinking out loud.

bob gauff
Speaking of not changing oil and fluid levels...I opened the hood of a relative's BMW and found no oil dipstick anywhere. I was so curious about it, that I called in to a BMW service agent and he confirmed that there was no oil dipstick on that model and proper oil level needed to be checked with their software.

I wonder what people should do when they are stranded on the road without dealer software to check their oil level...

Old 12-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

No engine oil dipstick? I've never heard of such a thing. No way would I want to own a vehicle like that....

Old 12-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

I think the (later model) XF also hasn't got one.

You can read the level on the dash as I recall, but have to wait with engine off for it to be stable or some such pesky nonsense.

(Have I got this right? Is it the XF?)

Old 12-11-2015, 05:02 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>Have I got this right? Is it the XF?

Yup, they whine about it all the time over on that list.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES 350
Current Mine: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past Ours: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

The following users liked this post:
JagV8 (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8

(Have I got this right? Is it the XF?)
I think it's pretty much all new(er) Jags and almost all high end cars

Originally Posted by JagV8
You can read the level on the dash as I recall, but have to wait with engine off for it to be stable or some such pesky nonsense.
Yes it's read off the dash and the engine must not be running. The whining seems to be about it being new-fangled and not like the good old days.

I think I like the idea of not having to open the hood, search for a clean rag and struggle to make out the level of clean fresh oil on the dipstick while in bright sunlight. I really like the idea of the car telling me about low oil level.

I just wish cars had low brake fluid warnings, low coolant level warnings, low fuel warnings, low tires pressure warnings or low windscreen wiper fluid level warnings.

Oh wait........

Old 12-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I think it's pretty much all new(er) Jags and almost all high end cars

Yes it's read off the dash and the engine must not be running. The whining seems to be about it being new-fangled and not like the good old days.

I think I like the idea of not having to open the hood, search for a clean rag and struggle to make out the level of clean fresh oil on the dipstick while in bright sunlight. I really like the idea of the car telling me about low oil level.
Well, I'll understand if it will tell you the oil level and all, but this BMW 3-series can only tell you if the oil level is low. No reading of how low. That BMW service advisor even laughed at the end saying "I wonder who's idea that was?" at the end of the conversation.

I've seen many of the new Benz cars that actually tell you the level and all though...

Old 12-11-2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by salmanezkhanz
Well, I'll understand if it will tell you the oil level and all, but this BMW 3-series can only tell you if the oil level is low. No reading of how low. That BMW service advisor even laughed at the end saying "I wonder who's idea that was?" at the end of the conversation.
It's considered inappropriate on this forum to say certain things, but I'd suggest that both your relative and especially the service advisor to

I've been waiting years to say that

This video explains how to display the oil level.

Listen carefully to the comment at 1:29

Old 12-11-2015, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Cars seem to be more and more like APPLIANCES that NOBODY understands.
That's because there's no "app for that".

People are supposed to be more adept with computer technology
than ever before. But somehow they can't figure out search.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

No engine oil dipstick? I've never heard of such a thing. No way would I want to own a vehicle like that....
A dipstick is far less prone to failure than some sensor cooking in hot oil.

Besides, with a dipstick I can know whether or not I ran the engine low
on oil before a warranty blowup. And only I will know.

With a sensor, I'll bet it is recorded in the ECU, and it is mandated
by warranty administration that it be checked on engine failure
warranty claims. Wouldn't matter if you added oil before towing
it to the dealership.

And if there is a bug in the software flagging false under fill
conditions, you would be SOL because computers are never
wrong.