S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door speaker install questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Door speaker install questions

Hi guys. I am about to install new speakers in the doors of the car. There are 4 wires going into each stock alpine speaker. I guess I could do trial and error, but does anyone have any idea which ones are for the tweeter? For instance are the top two tweeter or bottom two, ect.? Any help would be appreciated.

I've been taking a bunch of photos so I'll toss them into the gallery once done. I installed a bunch of edead 45 (similar to dynamat) on the inner door and on the inner door skin.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM

hey guys. I was playing with the wires. I tried hooking up different combinations of the wires and on both of them the mid bass was coming through. It was my impression that the signals were already supposed to be crossed over coming out of the amp. Anyhow, it seems that like no matter what pair of wires I hook up, there is still pretty strong bass out of the woofer. Anyone have any iput on this?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Wow, nobody?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

If George or ChrisSTR come by I'm sure they would know. I haven't looked yet so I can't help. Have you checked JTIS for the wiring schematic?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Thanks Jason. Is that the diagram for the alpine system in an 04? Or is it the same since all of the wires in each door are consistent?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

You have the same as i do, you have the premium sound correct??? If so look at the premium diagram.

NOW just because it may be crossedover, doesnt mean you can in theory run them without the crossovers they came with.......you have to know the specs of the speakers and what they can handle. On vehicles like ours, i would recommend to people the bi-ampable components even though they were more money, because they had a mid and tweet input. Yes you could run into shelving issues with the x-over, but you never had to sacrifice on the input side. It would make more sense if i could tell it/show it in person.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. I am about to install new speakers in the doors of the car. There are 4 wires going into each stock alpine speaker. I guess I could do trial and error, but does anyone have any idea which ones are for the tweeter? For instance are the top two tweeter or bottom two, ect.? Any help would be appreciated.

I've been taking a bunch of photos so I'll toss them into the gallery once done. I installed a bunch of edead 45 (similar to dynamat) on the inner door and on the inner door skin.
In the front there should be separate wires going to mid and tweeter. You can use the internal alpine amp crossover, actually you have to, the signals are already filtered.

In the rear they are run in parallel and they use a filter capacitor on the back of the tweeter to "cross over" the tweeter" The midbass actually runs full range.

Just wire that input to the input of the passive crossover on that came with the component set. And then wire from the passive crossover to the mid and tweet.

I haven't done chris's front doors yet - between the weather being too damn hot, traveling, my work etc we just havent found the time. I still have his speaker adapters and JL components sitting in my garage collecting dust

Take care,

George

Old 08-04-2011, 06:03 PM

Also the volume out of the rear speakers is so low. The fanatic q is a massive driver so I know it's not going to be as efficient. Are our stock speakers 2 ohm? I'm thinking that may be a contributing factor to the low volume as well.

Thanks for the advice to use the tweeter crossover in the rear. That solved my question

Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Also the volume out of the rear speakers is so low. The fanatic q is a massive driver so I know it's not going to be as efficient. Are our stock speakers 2 ohm? I'm thinking that may be a contributing factor to the low volume as well.

Thanks for the advice to use the tweeter crossover in the rear. That solved my question
The alpine amp just doesn't have the power to push a component set. It's only like 30 watts per channel at like 5% distortion. I think all the factory alpine speakers are 4 ohm. They should be labeled - and if not take a multi meter to them. You'll get like a 1.6 ohm reading if they are 2 ohm, 3.6 or so if they are 4 ohm.

The Alpine speakers are actually pretty damn good. I have them running off of a JL Audio XD 400/4 with JL Audio passive crossovers in the front and they sound surprisingly good. Sadly, I think (but never confirmed this 100%) that you have to swap out the source unit in order to replace the amp. Chris swapped out everything all at once so it wasn't an issue for us.

Take care,

George