S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Din Stereo Question from a Moron...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Din Stereo Question from a Moron...

First I would like to thank you all on this forum. I got my 04 Stype about a month back and have loved this forum every since. Now for the question...

I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 that I bought and need to install on my car. The only problem is that Car Toys want's to charge $1000. A bit steep in my humble opinion so I figured I should maybe do it myself. The question I have for you guys is how hard is it? I will go to them to fabricate a face plate for it but how hard is it to remove the dash and what not?

Also does anyone have a step to step guide on removing the dash and stereo on an 04 S-Type 3.0?
I figured I would ask you all since you guys seem to answer every question someone ask.

Thanks
Russell

Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Default RE: Double Din Stereo Question from a Moron...

Not to sound like FromBenzToJag by replying to my own question but I forgot something to add.

What kind of harnes do I need for the stereo? I thought I read somewhere that a certain Ford one would work but now I can't seem to find it.

Thanks a million...
Russell

Old 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

To remove the audio unit, open center console arm rest, remove the cup holder by pulling up. Then remove the rubber pad under cup holder. There is a 20 torx bolt there. Remove it. Then inside console box, look toward back and drivers seat. Another 20 Torx. Remove. Lift console box out and disconnect aux power connector.
Open the ashtray, grab the wood surround at front (J-Gate surround I mean) and pull upwards to release from clips.
Grab the finisher (goes around audio and climate and back to console box) from the rear where console box would cover end of it. Pull that part upward and then pull whole thing backward away from dash. There you have access to audio unit. I believe it is 4 30 Torx hold it in these days.
Good luck.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 PM

FactoryJaguarTech thank you so much for you help. One other question though do you know what kind of wiring harness would be needed on the 2004 S-type to hook up an after market stereo? Also would that be all I needed to hook it up? I am still a bit new to the stereo game?

Thanks,
Russell

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 PM

look at www.crutchfield.com maybe they have something. I am not too familiar with aftermarket products. I just work on factory stuff.

Forgot to say also, if you have phone, bluetooth, nav or cd changer in car, or voice activation, none of it will work after you replace radio. It all runs on fiber optics.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Yeah, I don't have the bluetooth or any of that in my factory one. It's pretty much just straight forward basic unit. I looked on Crutchfield and all their Vehicle-specific Wiring Harnesses do not fit the 2004 Jaguar S-Type. I read somewhere that a Ford harness would work on the S-Type. That's the thing with these cars though, they are so nice and we love them so much but sometimes they can be pretty hard to deal with. But then again, that's what makes them and us special. ;-)

Old 02-16-2008, 10:28 AM

here you go bro

http://nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/jaguar.htm

Says as long as not alpine amplified which it sounds as though yours is not.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey std bigdreams used a ford wiring harness on his, your best bet would be to pull the radio out and look at the harness that is in your car. Go to walmart and check out the ford harnesses and than find the one you need and go from there. Personally i'd buy all the ford one's they have which should only be like 2 of them and return the one you don't use. There was a guy in the s-type area that had an entire dash kit for sale but I can't seem to find it. Your best bet is to make your own kit and total you will spend less than 30 bucks for the dash kit (you make yourself) and the wiring harness. If you need more help pm me directly and let me know you replied or just pm me to see if I can help you. Here's a link you should check out...

Metra makes a dash kit for the s-type the model number is 99-9500. Check at your local circuit city they sell the metra brand as well as other car audio shops. For the harness though you'll just have to pull the radio out perhaps even at circuity city and have them match em up. I couldn't find one to match the harness off of nexxia, although that might not be the actual harness in your car. If you wanted to tap into the wires I can give you a printout of what every speaker wire is in the dash but I'd rather you buy a harness and last case scenario I can give you what every wire in there is...