S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragging metal

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dragging metal

Ok so when I drive I'm starting to hear what sounds like metal dragging under my car, but nothings there, it's been goin on for a lil bit. It came and went n now it's back with a vengeance!!! Lol any idea what could be causing this sound?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Your brakes need to be replaced! Pads possibly rotors now too. Do a search on "brakes" before you ask what you should purchase please.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

X2 for Ricks DX.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

And do it sooner rather than later if you still have any chance of saving the rotors.

George

Old 12-30-2010, 10:27 PM

Ok thanks, will get on it asap!!! Also when I do a search for brakes am I searching just pads or what exactly or just the noise in relation to the brakes. I also saw it mentioned that it could b the bearings.....any comments on that?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Scottyobmu
Ok thanks, will get on it asap!!! Also when I do a search for brakes am I searching just pads or what exactly or just the noise in relation to the brakes. I also saw it mentioned that it could b the bearings.....any comments on that?
A wheel bearing will not make a consistent sound. The sound in terms of volume, pitch, or frequency will change depending on road speed. It will also make a sound whenever the car is moving.

Brakes will make a grinding sound if you've worn down the brake pads so much that the wear indicators are touching the rotors.

Open the window turn off the radio, find a quiet street or parking lot, drive and listen. IF the sound occurs when driving (But not braking, it's most likely a wheel bearing or other suspension component). If the sound only presents itself when you press the brakes, then it's brakes.

Now you will need at LEAST pads, probably rotors if you've gone metal to metal. Do NOT cut / resurface rotors, especially on a heavy car like the S-Type.

If you haven't done brakes before, or aren't mechanically inclined, maybe you're better off taking it somewhere. Brakes are pretty easy DIY, but you have to have the proper equipment to lift and safely support the car, and you have to know what you're doing.

George

Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 AM

The sound comes whenever the car is moving, not from breaking. Just sound like a can is being dragged under my bar. When I hit my brakes nothing really happens, but I'm pretty positive I need new pads. I actually found a whole brake kit for 250(includes disc, pads, etc etc, for both front and back). That I plan on getting because I'm sure it need replacing. But the sound comes while the car is in motion. What I also noticed was that when making turns, and not applying brakes, there would b a slight screeching sound but doesn't last long at all and it's not consistent. Thoughts?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Thoughts? Er... mainly that I wouldn't drive the car except short distances while diagnosing the fault and afterwards to check it was fixed!!

Sounds like maybe 2 faults

Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Scotty, do ya want no brake dust and great braking power? Go for the Akebono's (spelling?) pads. Check threads here.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Just pondering here but check your pulleys. You may have a bad bearing on either an accessory pulley or a tensioner pulley. If it makes a different noise when you are turning it might be the extra tension on the pulleys from the power steering pump. Its definitly something to check into. You can pop your hood and see if you can hear it at the front of your engine while its idle. Then had someone turn the wheels while you are listening and see if you can hear it there.
Also see if you can record it and maybe post the noise and maybe someone can figure it out then.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Scottyobmu
The sound comes whenever the car is moving, not from breaking. Just sound like a can is being dragged under my bar. When I hit my brakes nothing really happens, but I'm pretty positive I need new pads. I actually found a whole brake kit for 250(includes disc, pads, etc etc, for both front and back). That I plan on getting because I'm sure it need replacing. But the sound comes while the car is in motion. What I also noticed was that when making turns, and not applying brakes, there would b a slight screeching sound but doesn't last long at all and it's not consistent. Thoughts?
What makes you "pretty positive" you need new pads? Have you taken a wheel off and looked. I agree with what the others said. Either a wheel bearing, or possible a belt tensioner / pulley bearing. Or a combo of both. Your car may very well need new brakes BUT, I don't think it's going to resolved the issues / noises you have described.

Take care,

George

Old 12-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Look carefully at the belly pan under the engine also, might be dragging on the ground. I'd find out what was actually wrong before ordering any parts.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
What makes you "pretty positive" you need new pads? Have you taken a wheel off and looked. I agree with what the others said. Either a wheel bearing, or possible a belt tensioner / pulley bearing. Or a combo of both. Your car may very well need new brakes BUT, I don't think it's going to resolved the issues / noises you have described.

Take care,

George
Just saying pretty positive I need new pads just based o. How it feels whenever I'm braking. I'm actually gonna have it looked at tomorrow. I was doin some research online and pretty much every blog/thread/post I read commented on it being the bearing. On here is the only time it's been mentioned it could be the brakes, but I had anticipated on getting new pads already. Again sounds like metal dragging but nothing underneath is dragging or hanging. So from the responses I should checkout my pulleys, bearings, and brakes. Hopefully this won't run me tooooooo much lol. Thanks!!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

If it turns out to be a wheel bearing, DO NOT PAY to have replaced. Very simple 20 minute procedure. If needed I can walk you through it.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Scotty where are you from if you are near me I just got my garage unpacked and I could check it out for you.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

pah! shameless!

(joking. go for it)

Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
If it turns out to be a wheel bearing, DO NOT PAY to have replaced. Very simple 20 minute procedure. If needed I can walk you through it.
Rick, are the wheel bearings serviceable on our cars? I thought the spindle / hub was sealed and just replaced as an assembly.

George

Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

I think it's one lump, bearing+hub, and quite cheap. Easy to replace IF it's not corroded in. Nightmare if it is.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis

Brakes will make a grinding sound if you've worn down the brake pads so much that the wear indicators are touching the rotors.
I don't believe there are wear indicators on the OEM pads and certainly not on the Raybestos pads I installed last year.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
I don't believe there are wear indicators on the OEM pads and certainly not on the Raybestos pads I installed last year.
I could have sworn my car had them... Eventually he'll get to the rivets that bond the pad to it's base... They are wear indicators right??

George

Quick Reply: Dragging metal