Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded Window Fog-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dreaded Window Fog-up

Hey Gang,
A while back I posted a problem with my climate control unit where it was schitzing on me with the screen displaying all kinds of gobbldygoop and I was just getting ready to send it off to be checked.repaired when it stopped all by itself. The problem never returned and I think it's been over a year now. Seems though since then my A/C seems to take quite a long time to cool, say 8~10 miles of driving or approximately 10~12 minutes of running and I feel that's waaaay too long. On moist days I have a hell of a time with fogged windows and noticed when the A/C is on I never see a puddle of water on the ground. So here's what I found on this and other searches. The A/C goes through a self checking stage and does not come on until certain temperatures are met then it comes on. I could have a plugged condenser drain hose, even someone mentioned cleaning out my sunroof drains passages. I need the straight on all this because I feel the A/C is taking too ling, I feel the climate control still needs sent out for a good checking over, I can't find the drain hose for the condenser, and just not sure about the sunroof water passages. Any ideas, pictures, support, free beer is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Two educated guesses:

1. You're low on refrigerant.

2. Your compressor is failing.

I've had to deal with both issues on my 2005 S-Type 3.0. Fogged interior windows, especially in cool weather, are symptoms of both (especially if you are low or out of refrigerant). Good luck....

Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Two educated guesses:

1. You're low on refrigerant.

2. Your compressor is failing.

I've had to deal with both issues on my 2005 S-Type 3.0. Fogged interior windows, especially in cool weather, are symptoms of both (especially if you are low or out of refrigerant). Good luck....
Thanks for that, I will have that checked.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM

Okay here's what we found. We checked the low and high pressure system of the A/C and all is good, refrigerant up and no leaking. The compressor was not coming on so we checked for a fuse/relay and there is one in the box under the hood, left side. The All-Data called it an R8-relay and we just touched the relay, the compressor came on. We tapped it again and again and on-off-on-off-on-off. So we took the fog-lamp relay out and exchanged it for the compressor relay and everything seems to work fine now. The car was shut down for several hours then fired up and went for a ride in town and no fog, stopped in a store for about 15min. and when I came out and left, no fog, that's when it was worse. I then drove home, 20 minute ride in the pouring rain and again no fog. It's been raining like hell here the last few days and is prime weather for my fogging problem and I made it all the way home from work and all is good!!!!! When I got home I turned my fog lamps on and then wiggled the relay and the lights went on-off-on-off-on-off so the relay is junk. Must be an internal bad connection. So far I'm very happy. I'll know more when I go to works tomorrow morning since it will still be raining, the true test. This morning was a challenge to keep the windows from fogging............hope this does it.

Last edited by Cobbler; 11-02-2015 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Norri (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,033 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobbler
so the relay is junk. Must be an internal bad connection.
I had the same exact issue on my '02. It's easy to pop off the cover on the relay for a look-see. I found heavy arcing across the contacts. The AC has been fine after I replaced the R8 relay several months ago. Hope yours stays fixed, too.

The following users liked this post:
Cobbler (11-02-2015)