Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drilled and grooved discs advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015 | 04:09 PM
|
Question drilled and grooved discs advice

Hi all

I'm looking to replace the discs and pads on the my s type 4.0.

Mtech Brakes are selling a full set of grooved an drilled discs, with mintex pads for £180, which is really good value. But I wanted to know if anyone else had any experience with this type of setup? Are there any advantages/dis-advantages?

With the s type being a heavy car and auto, i find i am on the brakes a lot more than with a manual, so my opinion is they will help keep the discs a bit cooler, since they do get really hot some days....

what do you guys reckon?

cheers

Old 03-21-2015 | 05:54 PM

Having auto vs. manual trans has only an infinitesimally small effect on brake temp. At no time are brakes overwhelmed on an S-type.

Drilled and slotted rotors contribute nothing to braking power on a street driven car, it's purely for 'bling' effect. Save your money.

Old 03-22-2015 | 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
From: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Default drilled and grooved discs advice

There are several discussions on the forum about this topic. Please use the search feature to read them. Some even suggest best places to buy these components but you'll never know if you don't read them.

Old 03-22-2015 | 01:23 PM
|

was waiting for someone to say that....lol

decided to stick to standard..front discs are ok anyway, so just looking to change the rear...

cheers

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015 | 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

We only say it because it's good advice. These cars have been around for years and practically everything about them has been discussed on the forum already, sometimes by knowledgeable members who no longer contribute to the forum. You miss their valuable advice if you don't search for it first.

Search also saves existing members the aggravation of having to repeat themselves on topics that have already been covered in detail. Even worse - you alienate them by demonstrating that you'd rather ask someone else for help rather than help yourself.

Again, familiarize yourself with Advanced Search. It will be your best friend on the Jag Forum. If you still can't find an answer, don't hesitate to ask your questions. There are some extremely knowledgeable members who will be eager to help.
Cheers!

Old 03-23-2015 | 03:22 PM
|

No problem....

just picked up some new rear disc and pads. EBC pads for £20 and discs at £24 each (plus the vat)....job for the weekend

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015 | 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Having auto vs. manual trans has only an infinitesimally small effect on brake temp. At no time are brakes overwhelmed on an S-type.

Drilled and slotted rotors contribute nothing to braking power on a street driven car, it's purely for 'bling' effect. Save your money.
^^What he said^^ Mods like this should be filed alongside replacement air filters that suck in hot air from the engine bay and rumble boy back boxes that reduce backpressure and performance, increase fuel consumption and offer only psychological benefit that you have "upgraded such components"

A good quality oem set up is plenty good enough.

Old 03-23-2015 | 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jpvd
No problem....

just picked up some new rear disc and pads. EBC pads for £20 and discs at £24 each (plus the vat)....job for the weekend
So a fair few beer tokens still in the wallet then.

Old 03-23-2015 | 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jpvd
No problem....

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-25-2015 | 08:08 PM

Having done the rear brakes recently I should share a couple of points.

1. rent or buy brake caliper retraction tool. Integrated parking brake require turning the piston clockwise to screw it back in.
2. when retracting the piston, have bleeder connected and bleeder screw loosened 1/2 turn to discharge old fluid. Don't let the old fluid go back into the hydraulic circuit.
3. do not install grooved or slotted discs. I had them on my last car, X-Type, and made noticeable swoosh, swoosh sound at parking lot speed with no change in braking performance.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015 | 04:29 AM
|

Originally Posted by TonyX
Having done the rear brakes recently I should share a couple of points.

1. rent or buy brake caliper retraction tool. Integrated parking brake require turning the piston clockwise to screw it back in.
2. when retracting the piston, have bleeder connected and bleeder screw loosened 1/2 turn to discharge old fluid. Don't let the old fluid go back into the hydraulic circuit.
3. do not install grooved or slotted discs. I had them on my last car, X-Type, and made noticeable swoosh, swoosh sound at parking lot speed with no change in braking performance.
thanks for the advice, but already have a wind back tool, bought it years ago...i never bother opening the bleed valve, always been fine in the past and have bought standard rear discs and pads....started yesterday, but had to order a new caliper carrier, as one of the sliders was stuck solid....so good job i decided to do the job after all!...

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-26-2015)