Sponsored by:

Driver Door Module or Seat Module

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Door Module or Seat Module

Hi Everyone,

2000 S-Type 3.0

I am looking for some diagnostic advise to decide if I have a bad driver door module or a bad seat module and mirror switch. I found a thread that talked about the drivers seat and mirrors not working but I could not find any way to troubleshoot it. The manual says take it to the dealer.

I have only had the car for a few weeks and have repaired the breather elbow at the back of the intake thanks to threads here.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

TSB S501-14 is a guided diagnostic publication from Jaguar. I uploaded it somewhere to this forum.

Here it is again

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S501-14 Memory Systems.pdf (49.5 KB, 1069 views)
The following users liked this post:
rlees (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 AM

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the reply, The TSB will help. It gives definition to which modules control each function. The drivers seat does not move at all and the mirrors do not work. The fuses are all good and the memory function sets and works on the steering column. I am trying to find troubleshooting info on next steps. It seems like it could be the drivers door module, the drivers seat module or the mirror switch. I have not had a chance to start in on it yet. I just wanted to have a little direction first. I have the service manual on disc but it is not very good for this one. I am going to take the door panel off and make sure connections etc are good next.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

I suppose a bit late now but that TSB is already in the TSB area - see forum sticky - along with many others. It's worth trying there when you've a problem that Search hasn't helped enough with.

Of course the point of JTIS with its electrical guide etc and the TSB just mentioned is that you have enough to set about just about any fault. If they tried to guess every possible fault individually and detail how to troubleshoot it, the data would be immense (and still under construction for the next gazillion years).

Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

I know the TSBs are sometimes in the sticky section of various forums because I uploaded hundreds and hundreds but are hard to find if you don't read through and know if they even exist for a fault.

I have almost ALL from the late 1990s to 2006 or there about so sometimes I just post it.

bob gauff

Old 12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Here is an updated version of that TSB.

Attached Files
Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks again for the info. I dont think these are going to get me very far. I will look more through the electrical section of the service manual. I am tring to find tests for the switches. The drivers seat does not work at all and niether do the mirrors. The reason I asked about the modules is because the 2 things seem related through the memory system. The passenger seat works fine but it gets its power and control from a different source. It is nice to know there is so much info in the TSB's

Old 01-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi Rick,
You are not alone in the world! Right now I have a similar/identical problem with my 99 S-Type.
I have lost all functions of driver seat (except lumber control), lost driver and passenger mirror control PLUS lost key fob and memory button recall control of these functions. Additional problem I have is fob un/locking. Double pressfob and lock works Ok. Car will also unlock with fob within a few minutes (no seat/mirror memory control though). Longer than a few minutes locked and fob is useless. I then have to use door key entry and alarm deactivation via ignition key operation.
So far I have looked under driver's seat for loose connections, etc. and pulled some diagnostic codes via the OBD port: B2320 (and B2324) “Drivers Mirror Horizontal (and Vertical) Feedback Potentiometers – Circuit Failure” seem most relevant but I also have the usual bunch of codes associated with low battery voltage.
I also found the TB S501-14 . But it's not much help.
Do you also have the key fob issues?

Peter, Wales, UK

Old 01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,317 Likes on 8,582 Posts

Originally Posted by penjags
Hi Rick,
You are not alone in the world! Right now I have a similar/identical problem with my 99 S-Type.
I have lost all functions of driver seat (except lumber control), lost driver and passenger mirror control PLUS lost key fob and memory button recall control of these functions. Additional problem I have is fob un/locking. Double pressfob and lock works Ok. Car will also unlock with fob within a few minutes (no seat/mirror memory control though). Longer than a few minutes locked and fob is useless. I then have to use door key entry and alarm deactivation via ignition key operation.
So far I have looked under driver's seat for loose connections, etc. and pulled some diagnostic codes via the OBD port: B2320 (and B2324) “Drivers Mirror Horizontal (and Vertical) Feedback Potentiometers – Circuit Failure” seem most relevant but I also have the usual bunch of codes associated with low battery voltage.
I also found the TB S501-14 . But it's not much help.
Do you also have the key fob issues?

Peter, Wales, UK

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a new battery will take care of most, if not all, of these problems.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many thanks for the welcome, Jayt2.

I did check battery voltage and I don't have any problem cranking the engine to life.
But to avoid any doubt, I switched a new battery from my XJR to the S-type to rule out all low voltage/battery issues. I suspect the bunch of stored OBD codes (B1676 Battery Voltage Low, and B1201, P1233, P1633, U1131 and U1262) were sitting there for a while (battery did run down a bit while garaged car last month but, after re-charging, battery seems OK now).
I'm thinking along Rick's line: It's the door module, seat module or a wiring issue. Question is, “Where do we start?”
The dash display picks up the message “Memory Recall” 1 and 2 when I press the door pack buttons which suggests door module is operating and the S501-14 diagnostic chart says mirror data is stored here. So why no mirror control from memory or buttons?
Any ideas on tests here?

Peter