S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Front Door Weather Strip (Replace or Repair?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Driver Side Front Door Weather Strip (Replace or Repair?)

I see the weather strip on the Driver side front door is eroded. It runs the length of the bottom of the door. The rest of the weather strip looks fine but the bottom that runs the width of the door needs to be repaired. Should I replace the entire strip around the door? Or cut/clean/replace just the eroded piece? If it's a repair or replace where do I pick up a weather strip kit?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,813 Posts

Are you inquiring about the weather strip that is mounted to the door itself or the seal mounted on the body around the door opening?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Are you inquiring about the weather strip that is mounted to the door itself or the seal mounted on the body around the door opening?
It is the strip mounted to the body of the car not the door seal. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by cyberlinks
It is the strip mounted to the body of the car not the door seal. Sorry for any confusion.
Since the door aperture seal is one piece, it can be replaced once the sill trim is carefully removed. Depending on the MY of your vehicle and the VIN, you can purchase the part from one of the Jaguar agencies listed as 'featured sponsors' on this website.

The part number is XR853720, however it is always best to check the part number against the VIN to ensure you are receiving the correct part.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Default Part Number???

Based on the picture here I think it's only the strip indicated as #5. Do you know the part number for that?

Attached Thumbnails Driver Side Front Door Weather Strip (Replace or Repair?)-%24-kgrhqv-qefc-zdus3-bqtps9nm8q%7E%7E60_12.gif  
Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Based on the picture here I think it's only the strip indicated as #5. Do you know the part number for that?
The part shown in the image you provided labeled as 5 is not the door aperture seal that mounts on the body of the vehicle. The part listed as 5 is the lower door seal mounted on the door itself.

cyberlinks (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:05 PM

The part shown in the image you provided labeled as 5 is not the door aperture seal that mounts on the body of the vehicle. The part listed as 5 is the lower door seal mounted on the door itself.
After closely examining the eroded weather stripping it IS the entire piece that needs replacing. It is the part numbered #3 in previous posting. Now I guess I just have to order that.

Is there any special equipment or prep I need to do to take off the existing piece? I'm guessing it's glued in and that has to be clean before I install this new weather stripping. Additionally, what type of glue do I need to install the new strip? Possibly a YouTube link to see how it's done?

As you might imagine I'm not the handiest guy in the world but somehow I think I might be able to manage this repair. Any help anyone can give me I am very grateful for.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM

After closely examining the eroded weather stripping it IS the entire piece that needs replacing. It is the part numbered #3 in previous posting. Now I guess I just have to order that.

Is there any special equipment or prep I need to do to take off the existing piece? I'm guessing it's glued in and that has to be clean before I install this new weather stripping. Additionally, what type of glue do I need to install the new strip? Possibly a YouTube link to see how it's done?

As you might imagine I'm not the handiest guy in the world but somehow I think I might be able to manage this repair. Any help anyone can give me I am very grateful for.
There are no special equipment or tools required to replace the door aperture seal.

Care must be taken when removing the sill trim as the plastic tabs can be easily broken. Once the sill trim is removed, the seal can be removed and the new seal installed by hand.

There is no glue required only patience on your part to ensure the seal is fully seated on the weld flange all the way around. Be sure to carefully line up the sill trim tabs with the openings in the other trim pieces so they do not break off.

cyberlinks (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta get this done on mine too.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 AM

The part identified as #3 in the diagram is the inside part and the part identified in the diagram as #4 is the part for the door?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:24 PM

The part identified as #3 in the diagram is the inside part and the part identified in the diagram as #4 is the part for the door?
Yes, the part shown as 3 is the part that mounts on the body and is the door aperture seal. The parts shown as 4 and 5 both mount on the door itself.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

This is an easy job, replaced mine with a good quality second hand part a few weeks ago. The door sill is the only tricky bit, take care to lever it off withput breaking the clips. Once that is gone the old seal just pulls off and the new one can be pushed into place. The seal is shaped so make sure you put it in right.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Since the door aperture seal is one piece, it can be replaced once the sill trim is carefully removed. Depending on the MY of your vehicle and the VIN, you can purchase the part from one of the Jaguar agencies listed as 'featured sponsors' on this website.

The part number is XR853720, however it is always best to check the part number against the VIN to ensure you are receiving the correct part.
Here is my ONLY concern. Using the part number you provided it appears it fits both the X-Type and the S-Type. Is that possible? I found a part with this number but the seller only has X-Type listed as what the part will fit. I did send him a question regarding but I thought I'd ask an expert first. Hate to spend $80.00 and get the wrong part.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Here is my ONLY concern. Using the part number you provided it appears it fits both the X-Type and the S-Type. Is that possible? I found a part with this number but the seller only has X-Type listed as what the part will fit. I did send him a question regarding but I thought I'd ask an expert first. Hate to spend $80.00 and get the wrong part.
That is why it is always good practice to provide the VIN, or in the very least, the last six digits of the VIN.

The part number for the door aperture seal is XR853720 for the S-Type from 2000MY through 2008MY. You can always call a Jaguar agency and confirm the part number against your vehicle's VIN prior to placing an order.

The part number for the front door aperture seal on the X-Type Saloon is different (C2S42752), so you may want to check the accuracy of your source for the part as well.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 PM

That is why it is always good practice to provide the VIN, or in the very least, the last six digits of the VIN.

The part number for the door aperture seal is XR853720 for the S-Type from 2000MY through 2008MY. You can always call a Jaguar agency and confirm the part number against your vehicle's VIN prior to placing an order.

The part number for the front door aperture seal on the X-Type Saloon is different (C2S42752), so you may want to check the accuracy of your source for the part as well.
I will provide the VIN prior to placing order and very much appreciate your advice.