S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side mirror yellow and hard to see out of

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017 | 11:50 PM
|
Default Drivers side mirror yellow and hard to see out of

So I just bought a 2003 Jaguar S type R Supercharged and I noticed the drivers side mirror was yellow and hard to see out of, its like it was showing 3 reflections of the same car. Does anyone know why this is, or how to fix it? I was thinking maybe picking up a new mirror piece because the one I have on it now burnt out or something? Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the glass part is bad. Wreckers etc will have them but make sure you get the right kind (heated/or not/dimming/or not/...).

Old 08-13-2017 | 10:26 AM
Default My 2003 S-type same problem

I am having the same problem with my '03 S-type. The passenger mirror is turning purple and presents double vision. How did you repair/proceed?
Originally Posted by NightHawk40
So I just bought a 2003 Jaguar S type R Supercharged and I noticed the drivers side mirror was yellow and hard to see out of, its like it was showing 3 reflections of the same car. Does anyone know why this is, or how to fix it? I was thinking maybe picking up a new mirror piece because the one I have on it now burnt out or something? Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 08-13-2017 | 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

My experience says you probably both have the electrochromic mirror option and need replacements. What does that mean? It means you'll find all manner of $35 mirror replacements on eBay and virtually all across the world wide web, which are not the ones you need. At a few select places you'll find the several hundred dollar mirrors you need. Heed John's advice above and determine exactly what options you have: a dealer can provide that info, given your VIN, then consult JEPC (a free download here on the forum) then search by the part number you need.

Old 08-13-2017 | 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

The so-called "dragon's blood" fluid in these electrochromatic mirrors utilized by many automotive manufacturers the past couple of decades tends to eventually leak out of its containment compartment within the mirror and cause the glass to turn yellow, purple, brown, etc. If that dragon's blood leaks from the rear-view mirror attached to the windshield and drips onto the top of the dashboard, it has been known to permanently discolor and in some cases eat away at the finish....

You can spring for an expensive replacement electrochromatic mirror if you choose, but when this happened to the passenger side-view mirror on my wife's previous 2000 Lexus RX300 SUV I opted to just epoxy a standard mirror replacement over the top of the failed original mirror. She never complained and I sold that vehicle in early 2007 with that standard mirror still epoxied in place after pointing it out to my buyer. It did not bother him either and as far as I know, he left it alone and may still be the owner of that vehicle....

Old 08-13-2017 | 03:25 PM
Default Dragons blood

Thank you for the response. Extremely helpful!

Originally Posted by Jon89
The so-called "dragon's blood" fluid in these electrochromatic mirrors utilized by many automotive manufacturers the past couple of decades tends to eventually leak out of its containment compartment within the mirror and cause the glass to turn yellow, purple, brown, etc. If that dragon's blood leaks from the rear-view mirror attached to the windshield and drips onto the top of the dashboard, it has been known to permanently discolor and in some cases eat away at the finish....

You can spring for an expensive replacement electrochromatic mirror if you choose, but when this happened to the passenger side-view mirror on my wife's previous 2000 Lexus RX300 SUV I opted to just epoxy a standard mirror replacement over the top of the failed original mirror. She never complained and I sold that vehicle in early 2007 with that standard mirror still epoxied in place after pointing it out to my buyer. It did not bother him either and as far as I know, he left it alone and may still be the owner of that vehicle....

Old 08-13-2017 | 03:27 PM
Default Side mirror

Thank you for your response! Very informative!

Originally Posted by aholbro1
My experience says you probably both have the electrochromic mirror option and need replacements. What does that mean? It means you'll find all manner of $35 mirror replacements on eBay and virtually all across the world wide web, which are not the ones you need. At a few select places you'll find the several hundred dollar mirrors you need. Heed John's advice above and determine exactly what options you have: a dealer can provide that info, given your VIN, then consult JEPC (a free download here on the forum) then search by the part number you need.