S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving hard

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I love cars always have always will lol, the best ive come to is going from one stop sign to the next about a half mile apart (if that) against my buddies 2011 Mustang, smoked him. Theres really not a lot of places to let the car loose of the car around here besides the canyon road.. I just am curious about where the Jag ranks, seems like it can handle its own pretty well

Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

I know you love cars... or else what would you be doing here?

Nice kill on the Mustang! He probably isn't pleased that a big, British
bruiser can take down his pony car!

It's annoying that you have that top speed limiter though! The new
Mustang V6 has one at 118 or so, which means it would beat the crap
out of my car, right up until I sailed by at 140!

The S-Type could probably cruise along at the limiter, with cruise control
on, and get 20mpg though! Lol. Those engines are perfectly tuned for these
cars.

Ian

Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 PM

ha ha we switched cars for a small test drive and we get back to his house and he starts asking his parents if he can unload the stang and get the Jag ha ah, they declined... I wonder if the cruise would latch on the 121 mph mark... That would be great to explain to a cop... "well I had it on cruise it must have gone up by itself..."

Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

OK, guys I need to but in... Near and dear to me .... It's thrilling to talk about "who you "killed" on a back canyon road" but cool it. Find out what you can kill on a race track. Or take it to an empty air port.. What ever... Street racing is dangerous and illegal. This forum doesn't have a bunch of banter about it but others I've been on have been so bad about it that users end up banned over it.

But that is nothing compared to how I feel about it. I am no angel, and I used to be real bad. I'm lucky. Never got caught red handed, and never crashed.

Gavin, you sound like an enthusiastic young guy into cars.... Please stick around. And before you write me off as some grumpy old dude, please read this thread including the news paper articles about it...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...68/#post435333

Gavin or anyone else, lets keep Joe's thread the last and only one where we lost a comrade like that... I would hate to read that we lost another friend... Just saying....

Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can beat 1999 body style 4.2 northstar Cadillacs with my LS 3.9. They have 40hp more but a 4 spd auto trans and I have 5 spd auto trans. Plus the northstar developes valve guide and compression leaks after 50000 miles. The most fun is beating rice burners with fart cans and turbos on them. Another fun one was an olds alero it was no competition so I excessively spun the tires while beating it. He thought he had a chance til he noticed the trail of smoke and rubber I was leaving.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
OK, guys I need to but in... Near and dear to me .... It's thrilling to talk about "who you "killed" on a back canyon road" but cool it. Find out what you can kill on a race track. Or take it to an empty air port.. What ever... Street racing is dangerous and illegal. This forum doesn't have a bunch of banter about it but others I've been on have been so bad about it that users end up banned over it.
Agreed. I'm surprised that street racing and kill stories are tolerated at all on this site.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 AM

My apologies appreciate you filling me in. As said earlier this is more to find out where the Jag stands against others, not for going out and doing it.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

I never know where to stand on comparisons of speed... if you look at these
guys: Kill Stories - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

then you know they are talking about. Illegal highway races, late night backroads.
As they would say in Russia, "I do not like."

I want to test my mettle on a road circuit so much! I always wonder if my car
(and my driving skills) could keep up with a more powerful, less handling-oriented
car. There is a circuit out where I live, it looks great! Slightly expensive to drive around. I would call it $1,000 against your car, plus a few hundred for entry to
the track.

Call the tyres 800 bucks, and if the track has a lot of elevation change, then
a brake job may be in order. I hear from my contacts at the Jaguar Club that
track days are well worth it. It looks like a lot of fun. I would be afraid of messing
up! I am a JCNA member though, so I guess their insurance covers you on a
sanctioned event.

There is also usually a drag strip around.

Ian

Old 03-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Those stories are pretty entertaining, lol the 2 out of the 3 I read ended in tickets though...

A track day would be fun in Vegas you can go about an hour or 45 min away to Mountain Motor Sports Performance Driving Schools - Racing Schools - Motorsports Country Club | Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch or you can go about 45 min the opposite direction to the Las Vegas motor speedway which i believe does a Midnight madness open track once a month...

Sure would be fun going out there just very costly as you were saying with tires and brakes... Btw has anyone put the brembo STR brakes on the S-type 4.2?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
mike and chris...lol! Hadn't the faintest we came from meager means. My first ride was a 65 vw beetle. The floors and subframe rotted, allowing the chassis to jump and jerk to one side when traveling over uneven road, a death trap, but at 17 y.o. I didn't give a hang. Eventually blew the motor. Bench pressed a used motor into place. Though i've advanced myself through life, never forgot where i came from.
but can you still bench a motor in place?
First car at 16 was a 66 mustang with 289. 18 a 71 mustang mach1 with a 429cj, then a 75 datsun 280z at 19. The z and 429cj got stolen, and i sold the 66. Then lots of stuff in between

Old 03-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth

But that is nothing compared to how I feel about it. I am no angel, and I used to be real bad. I'm lucky. Never got caught red handed, and never crashed.

Gavin, you sound like an enthusiastic young guy into cars.... Please stick around. And before you write me off as some grumpy old dude, please read this thread including the news paper articles about it...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...68/#post435333

Gavin or anyone else, lets keep Joe's thread the last and only one where we lost a comrade like that... I would hate to read that we lost another friend... Just saying....
Jeff is right, there is a time and place for everything. We all find times when we choose less than favorable places to personally unwind and pull our cars into it. We just need to be carefull about it because our families count on us staying around and lord help you if you bring someone else into a tangle. Whatever the outcome, your life will chage.