S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC failure. C1285, C1805, C1963, C1880, U1262,

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSC failure. C1285, C1805, C1963, C1880, U1262,

Hello. This has been one crazy and stupidly expensive process. I'll get straight into it. One evening I had parked my car and had gone out for the evening. When I came back and started the vehicle, I was presented with two new code. These being C1963, Stability control inhibit warning and C1280, Yaw rate sensor - signal failure. I had just gotten a scan tool (Launch CPR 123 C reader professional) for Christmas and I had it in the car at the time. I cleared the active codes and restarted the vehicle. Upon starting the car the traction control light began to flash on and off. I didn't think too much of it and headed on home. While driving I noticed two things. I no longer had cruise control and my transmission no longer shifts into overdrive. I've had the problem for 8 months now. Occasionally a DSC failure message will appear on the dash after ethier sitting for a couple of days or sometimes while driving for a couple of hours at highway speeds. When the code appears I regain cruise control and my car shifts into overdrive. The three other codes in the title of this post are from when I scanned my car today when the fault message appeared. I recently moved to Illinois for school. I took it the Jaguar, Land rover of Naperville, IL. They diagnosed it and told me that my brake booster had failed internally and the DSC module was cooked and that they couldn't fix it. At this point I'm looking for any help that I can get because I just don't understand how resetting the codes destroyed my DSC module. I will attach some of the paper work that includes all the codes they found when testing my car.

Old 10-23-2023, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

I don't believe any reset etc of DSC (well, ABS) module can do that. They sound to be wrong.

Old 10-23-2023, 02:42 PM
Received 2,677 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Prior to attempting any repairs or further guesswork, use a voltmeter to determine available battery voltage as it's critical for the vehicle to operate normally.

With the ignition in the OFF position, there should be a minimum of 12.6 volts indicated on the voltmeter when checked across the battery terminals. If the voltmeter shows less, charge the battery for five hours at 2 to 5 amps and retest. If the voltmeter still indicates lower voltage, replace the battery as a first diagnosis step.

Many random DTCs, especially ones with C or U as the prefix are caused by low available battery voltage or faulty connections.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
kr98664 (10-23-2023), S-Type Owner (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 04:42 PM
Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts

"I cleared the active codes and restarted the vehicle. Upon starting the car the traction control light began to flash on and off."

You have removed the calibration of the traction control ABS/DSC, by clearing the codes. Hence seeing flashing traction control. This will also cause the loss of the cruse control.

This needs to be recalibrated by IDS at / with dealer software or a copy of the V130. Nothing is fried, it needs recalibration.

Do not clear Traction control DSC codes, they clear themselves when fault corrected.

As other have stated make sure you have a good battery voltage, and see what codes you have left. There could be other faults. Low voltage, bad earth or the wiring / cables are fretting breaking down internally etc etc.

If you do a search the forum on the DSC codes faults found there is many suggestions and rabbit holes to work through.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by bydand
Use a voltmeter to determine available battery voltage as it's critical for the vehicle to operate normally.
I was able to perform a static voltage test like you stated. My battery, as it sits right now has 12.52 available volts. This battery is 3 years old. I don't have a battery charger rediably available to me so I won't be able to perform the full test at this moment. I will ask one of my instructors if I can use a battery charger at campus sometime soon and get back to you with the final results. I will also include a picture of what battery I currently have installed.

Last edited by Vinnie5497; 10-23-2023 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by bydand
This needs to be recalibrated by IDS at / with dealer software or a copy of the V130. Nothing is fried, it needs recalibration.
Would you be able to explain to me what IDS is? I also don't know what geting a copy of V130 means. I only just started school to become a technician so i'm not all that familiar with some topics.

Last edited by Vinnie5497; 10-23-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I don't believe any reset etc of DSC (well, ABS) module can do that. They sound to be wrong.
Thats what I thought. I knew that I had reset the codes but I didn't know that you shouldn't clear them in the first place. I knew I had to reprogram it but the dealer flat out told me I was out of luck.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:46 PM

Would you be able to explain to me what IDS is?

IDS (Integrated Diagnostic Software) ... IDS was used by Jaguar dealerships for vehicles manufactured pre-2005. The Ford/Jaguar software to communicate to the car.

I also don't know what geting a copy of V130 means.

The version V you need to speak/ communicate to the MY 2000-2005 the earlier version of the software. Which you will need to reset/calibrate the DSC.

see below.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...reply_top_post

also a copy on this forum somewhere, of set up in American speak, which I can't find at the mo.

and this is a very useful Jaguar site for manuals, training etc.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 10-24-2023, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinnie5497
Thats what I thought. I knew that I had reset the codes but I didn't know that you shouldn't clear them in the first place. I knew I had to reprogram it but the dealer flat out told me I was out of luck.
You can clear any module's codes, generally it's OK to do so, except the PCM (aka ECM) - just because the PCM has a tough job and to do it has "OBD monitors" which if they don't set (aka complete) lots of codes can't flag and in some (USA) places you'll fail smog tests.

BTW IDS/SDD https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...d-truth-32683/

Old 10-24-2023, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Don't see how clearing codes will do anything to the DSC calibration?
Can you tell us what this calibration is and how to get it back?
Not familiar at all with that term and I have cleared codes in my old 2005 STR dozens of times without that happening?

I have a working SDD/IDS system too if that is required?

Old 10-25-2023, 01:00 AM
Default Flashing DSC Means?

Originally Posted by clubairth1
1. Don't see how clearing codes will do anything to the DSC calibration

2. Can you tell us what this calibration is and how to get it back?

3. Not familiar at all with that term and I have cleared codes in my old 2005 STR dozens of times without that happening?

I have a working SDD/IDS system too if that is required?
A cluster of Posts? Indeed nor do a lot of people??

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...flashes.64224/

https://www.jaguarforum.com/threads/...-issues.69347/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-update-32144/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...lashing-31477/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...roblem-111944/

and my favourite, which still Cracks me up.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-codes-144906/

It usually starts with a DSC code fault popping up, or the installation of a new part.
The code is cleared with the aid of a code reader.
The clearing, or attempted clearing of the code causes the DSC software/Calibration to be cleared, corrupted, wiped? Giving a Flashing Mil DSC ,Which needs to be recalibrated by the aid of the IDS. For X200/202 anyway.

See CUSTOMER SYMPTOM DCS MIL warning and the NOTE: Configuration is Required etc etc.

If you have IDS it is one of the options on the pop up screens to Reconfigure DSC.

This is just the Flashing DSC Mil issue and cause, The OP still has the original error codes to investigate and deal with first, or he may require to reconfigure again with IDS if new parts added, changed.

On the pre facelifts, water contaminated brake fluid (not changed frequently enough) and fretted corroded wiring are usual suspects.

Move along now.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Thanks for those threads and yes it does require calibration. That is still really strange as I said I cleared codes dozens of times on my old S-Type with never a problem?
Also maybe a throttle body problem? It also requires programming.

Several comments about this function being removed from SDD and it's only available in the older IDS. My SDD drops back to IDS when it detects a older car. This IDS won't have the correct software? You need a earlier stand alone IDS version?

Old 10-25-2023, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1

Thanks for those threads and yes it does require calibration. That is still really strange as I said I cleared codes dozens of times on my old S-Type with never a problem?
Also maybe a throttle body problem?
It also requires programming.

Several comments about this function being removed from SDD and it's only available in the older IDS.
My SDD drops back to IDS when it detects a older car.

This IDS won't have the correct software?
You need a earlier stand alone IDS version?
Did you have DSC codes you were trying to clear at the time and no problem?

If you have no DSC code and do a general clear codes then all could be well.

But resetting, Clearing a DSC code seems to wipe something which requires, ( Reconfiguration) re-calibrations with DSC.

I understood IDS was within the slightly later SDD. I could never get mine to work, I could see the IDS, but it would not function, after lots of attempts.

Good Luck to the OP, Life is one Big Learning experience, Then you Marry One.