S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dsc Limp Home Rain revisted 04 stype

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dsc Limp Home Rain revisted 04 stype

2004 Stype 3.0. I posted before about my problem with rain and my warning lights coming on..DSC ABS and check engine, restricted performance. I haven't had anything happen recently because i've pretty much kept my jag outta the rain. However, it seems to have started again recently after a car wash. It never happened in a car wash before, but immediately after i came out of the car wash, my dsc light came on. Obviously i was really nervous cuz i was far from, but luckily close to a jaguar dealer. i drove it for about 5 mins with no issues other than the dsc msg, then turned off the car and restarted it and the message went away. Has not seen a car wash since then. I've pretty much avoided the problem by acting like its a motorcycle (ie checking the weather for rain ) and driving my truck alot, but its becoming an inconveniance when my girl and i both have to drive. So i'm back. Read about throttle body and moisture and i think that may be it, but being a noobie, i have no idea how to do the silicone procedure. also can't open any pictures any one post do to being a noobie. also i read someone say about testing the fix by driving through a car wash with the cop covers off, can anyone tell me what a cop cover is. Also wanted to know if missing the missing the screws that hold the front plastic cover over the headlights and front of the car could allow more moisture in. I did have a little fender bender with a wolf or a coytote which i think started this problem. (never experienced it before that incident) Only damamge from coyote was a broken $176 fog, still not replace. Headlight assembly bracket (arm that holds it in place) broke and a very small dent in the fender.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM

sorry for the long post, but wanted to give you guys the most info possible. Also in response to Jagv8 in my original post, there is no moisture in the trunk

Old 06-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Throttle body won't affect DSC (think about it!).

I suppose maybe a bad wire due to damage you mention might affect other things. Doubtful DSC.

Wheel sensors are supposed to be sealed but if any aren't then ABS/DSC problems are to be expected - BUT why not read the codes? Each module stores its own so just read them from the ABS/DSC. (Dealer-type tool or AutoEnginuity.)

Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Only reason i even thought about the throttle body was because of a post i read " Heavy rain and Engine System Failure".

Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM

Otherwise, i never would have thought about it. Its not the DSC that i'm worried about, it's the fact that it goes into limp home mode in the rain. Had the codes read at the dealer, they told me there were so many codes, they didn't know where to start and they charged me $130 to tell me that. They cleared the codes and told me when it happens again to bring it in and get the codes read (another $130) and then maybe they might be able to figure it out. I'll go broke before they find the problem and wont be able to fix it. Thats why im trying to figure this out myself. Unfortunately dont have a code reader, dont know where to even star with that.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Wink

BTW, as for the exclamation point after the "think about it", I know dsc and throttle doesn't make sense effecting each other, i just noticed the other posts that had it in there and made me think of my situation. Sometimes automotive electronics don't always make sense. Don't need to be snotty about it. ;-)